Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Now, no info as to whether insurance will cover these for travel purposes.

Might be incentive to order those proctored home tests for vastly less. 

Though the NCL/Carnival/RCCL sail-safe group is in talks with the CDC to have pre-boarding testing reviewed, in a recent AMA session on the "Presiden't Cruise" to Alaska, the CEO of RCCL said testing should be around for a few more months.

There has been a little bit of conjecture tied to the cruise industry looking for pre-cruise testing to be reviewed as a requirement. "I think pre cruise testing is going to be around for another couple of months," Mr. Bayley answered.

"We obviously want it to go back to normal, but we're incredibly cognizant of our responsibilities to keep our crew, the communities and our guests safe."

Ref: EDIT CC will not allow linking to reference site

I've personally been using at home proctored tests for my last 3 cruises (and flying to the US and back to Canada while it was required), they cost me around $100can per kit containing 2 tests.  For my fellow Canadians I use the "switch-health" kits recommended by Air Canada (only for Canadian addresses but there are US equivalents, I believe NCL recommends the Inspire Diagnostics kits). 

Edited by Pat.D
CC will not allow linking to reference site so removed it.

About a month ago, I got a booster shot at Walgreens and asked about their Covid testing. The woman at the pharmacy told me she didn't think insurance was going to be covering the cost anymore if you are testing for travel. I bought 2 E-Med tests online, and they were shipped to my home within a few days. The cost was $69.99 plus $22.03 for shipping. They lower the test cost if you buy a 6 pack-$150.00 plus same shipping. 

If HHS will not be covering tests anymore, I wonder if CDC will be easing back on their recommendations about travel🤔

I know that personally, I will continue (for the foreseeable future) to home-test before flying anywhere just for my own peace of mind.   

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Cigna still provides up to 8 home tests/month included, not sure of other insurers.  Not proctored, but I signed-up for On Point testing.  You supply your own test so no shipping and the cost of the proctored result varies, depending on sale, between $10-15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Cigna still provides up to 8 home tests/month included, not sure of other insurers.  Not proctored, but I signed-up for On Point testing.  You supply your own test so no shipping and the cost of the proctored result varies, depending on sale, between $10-15.

This is GREAT--thx for sharing! 

Bet we all have a few free tests sitting around...

15 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Hi Mr Pharmacist,  I don't feel well and I'm afraid it might be Covid-19.   

Well, yeah, I try not to encourage such behavior...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KKB said:

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Our insurance company is still reimbursing 100% of the cost of the proctored home tests. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KKB said:

At home proctored tests work fine regardless.

As with someone else, my insurance pays for it.  People should just consult their insurance company, and the answer depends on a lot of things like whether you're on Medicare or not.  

Your first statement needs to be put into context.

17 hours ago, KKB said:

Thanks for the update.

Just checked Walgreens in my area and they made it sound like they still test for free.  From their WEB site….

Why testing is important

Testing is an essential tool to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Whether you’re preparing for travel, think you’ve been exposed, feel sick or have symptoms, get peace of mind with our in-person drive-thru testing and convenient at-home tests.

You can get tested at Walgreens for free* at one of our 7,000+ drive-thru testing sites. Appointments are available up to 7 days in advance.

Here’s the asterisk part…..

* You will not have out-of-pocket costs if you meet the criteria for no-cost testing through your insurance or a government-funded program. You should contact your insurer before scheduling to confirm the test meets coverage criteria. You may be billed by Walgreens and, if applicable, the laboratory for up to the full price of the test if your insurance denies coverage or you don't meet eligibility criteria for government no-cost testing programs.

So, I know my insurance covers the COVID home testing that we’ve all seen over the past couple of years.  What I don’t know is if that means I’m in an age group that qualifies as a government funded program (Medicare)?

16 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

If HHS will not be covering tests anymore, I wonder if CDC will be easing back on their recommendations about travel🤔

I know that personally, I will continue (for the foreseeable future) to home-test before flying anywhere just for my own peace of mind.   

I don’t think one has any relation to the other.  Plus, the cruise lines are going to do whatever they need to do to keep a widespread COVID break out on their ships, now that they’re sailing at or near capacity, again!

59 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don’t think one has any relation to the other.  Plus, the cruise lines are going to do whatever they need to do to keep a widespread COVID break out on their ships, now that they’re sailing at or near capacity, again!

It was just reported by Cruise Radio that HAL is dropping pre-cruise testing for certain sailings in July on the Rotterdam.  P & O had already said they were doing the same thing.  For both lines, these are sailings to Norway and they are both Carnival brands 

8 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

It was just reported by Cruise Radio that HAL is dropping pre-cruise testing for certain sailings in July on the Rotterdam.  P & O had already said they were doing the same thing.  For both lines, these are sailings to Norway and they are both Carnival brands 

I had heard that.  

We've been testing for well over a year and a half.  I understand a few of the sailings in the EU have changed policies.  

I don't sail P&O nor HAL.  I thought I had heard that HAL was reinstitution masking protocols, too.  That's something I wouldn't want to do.

I don't doubt that we're at the tail end of testing to sail.  I read that Royal said it would be a "couple of months" before they'd look at testing changes.  Pretty nebulous on timing.

That said, none of these cruises are NCL, though.  

Said it before....I tip my cap to NCL (and Celebrity, too).  They came out of the restart gate steadfast in their policy of requiring full COVID vaccine and pre-cruise COVID testing.  Celebrity was similar, except they allowed a few (very few) unvaccinated children to sail.  NCL did not.

Neither wavered. As a result, there have been no massive outbreaks of COVID on either NCL or Celebrity sailings since the restart (Princess probably wishes they could say the same).

I do expect policy changes sooner rather than later, given the decreasing COVID threats, even with NCL.

• Like 3

*cough cough* medical necessity...I don't feel so well. I would never do such a thing. Welp, add another $200 to our cruise in August. Oh well, it'll be worth crashing in a comfy bed for a few nights without four dogs around.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

*cough cough* medical necessity...I don't feel so well. I would never do such a thing. Welp, add another $200 to our cruise in August. Oh well, it'll be worth crashing in a comfy bed for a few nights without four dogs around.

Easy when there is only 1 of you, we are 4 and it would be too obvious we were lying and going on vacation.

It is what it is, I will have to order eMed for the family and spend the extra money