Transportation from Long Beach airport to Cruise Port question.

Purple Gallinule

We have booked a Mexican Riviera cruise in late Jan 2023 on Discovery Princess. The best flight for us is on Southwest to Long Beach airport. Does anyone on this forum know about transportation from this airport to the Long Beach port? Does Princess offer transfers for any airport other than LAX? What would a cab cost?

We are really looking forward to this cruise, but have not faced these transportation questions before. Thanks in advance for any help.

3 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

We have booked a Mexican Riviera cruise in late Jan 2023 on Discovery Princess. The best flight for us is on Southwest to Long Beach airport. Does anyone on this forum know about transportation from this airport to the Long Beach port? Does Princess offer transfers for any airport other than LAX? What would a cab cost?

We are really looking forward to this cruise, but have not faced these transportation questions before. Thanks in advance for any help.

Princess doesn't sail from Long Beach. I'd probably look at Lyft or Uber from the airport to San Pedro. Also the airport website states the flat rate for a taxi is $45.

https://www.longbeach.gov/lgb/airlines-destinations/transportation/

Los Angeles local here. You say you will be on the Discovery Princess but embark from Long Beach? Pretty sure only Carnival uses the Long Beach facility. Perhaps you meant San Pedro?

San Pedro is on the west side of the Vincent Thomas bridge. Long Beach on the east side. Google maps is your friend. The distance is not walkable.

You can get a ride, sure, and maybe the traffic will be better. At least you're flying after the Holidays. Good luck!

42 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Whenever I fly into LGA for a cruise?  I take Uber to ship.  Never have waited around

for a Princess transfer. 

Its about 30 min ride from airport to ship.

Just know where youre going......Which ship and pier.

Your return Could have surge pricing, it just depends.

Taxi's are also available.

Somewheregirl is correct. There is no Princess transfer from Long Beach Airport.

I think Caluvzcruisingtoo meant LBG, not LGA, LaGuardia. Wouldn't that be an expensive cab ride!

Encourage LAX and Princess transfers. Once there was an accident on the freeway and the ship waited for the last Princess bus to arrive. Expect the unexpected with LA traffic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We flew into Long Beach last November with plans on taking an Uber to our hotel, but there was a taxi right there, no waits.....quick & easy ride to San Pedro. It's a much nicer experience compared to LAX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Somewheregirl is correct. There is no Princess transfer from Long Beach Airport.

I think Caluvzcruisingtoo meant LBG, not LGA, LaGuardia. Wouldn't that be an expensive cab ride!

Encourage LAX and Princess transfers. Once there was an accident on the freeway and the ship waited for the last Princess bus to arrive. Expect the unexpected with LA traffic.

LOL  Yes you are correct I meant LBG!

I have found traffic to be much milder from Long Beach, than what can happen flying into LAX.

Those Southwest flights into Long beach are terrific for cruises.  IMO

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

LOL  Yes you are correct I meant LBG!

I have found traffic to be much milder from Long Beach, than what can happen flying into LAX.

Those Southwest flights into Long beach are terrific for cruises.  IMO

Great! Thanks to all. By the way, we will be flying Southwest into LGA for a New England cruise on Enchanted Princess on October 1st, so I was a little confused about that. Love Southwest.

2 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Long Beach airport is great. we fly PhX to LGB often.My family lives local,so no experience with public transport at LGB,but no Princess doesn’t offer a  transfer from that airport. But pretty sure Uber/Lyft/taxi and possibly a shuttle service would work perfect for you. Long Beach airport to the port in San Pedro where the Discovery Princess leaves from ,it’s not that far. Keep your flight into Long Beach ,easy airport to navigate.

You might find more information on the West Coast departure area of cruise critic if you haven’t already checked there. 

Edited by arizonaperson

LGB is a very small airport.  You deplane outside, walk into the terminal, then back outside to baggage claim, not too far from the curb for cabs/rideshare.  I used Uber back in April and it cost around $35 with tip to the Port of San Pedro.

• Like 1