VeriFLY...yea, nay, experiences?

Anubi

I've been hearing a bit about this but it seems limited to certain airlines and cruise lines at the moment.  

I just wanted to hear from anyone who has used it and their experience using it.  

• Like 1

Ditto on what others have posted.  Three post COVID cruises already and always just waved through the vacc/test station at FLL and SAN. I found the VeriFLY app very easy to use -- unlike ArriveCAN, which is a real kluge.  Dreading the boarding procedure for next month's cruise out of Vancouver.  Vancouver was always a pain for boarding and in-transit procedures, even pre-pandemic.

• Like 1

We had VeriFLY for our June 19 Westerdam/Alaska cruise and were glad we had it!  When we entered the terminal in Seattle, there was a large line for non VeriFLY and no one in line for VeriFLY!  we were checked in in seconds and on our way to the next station prior to boarding...amazing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Ditto on what others have posted.  Three post COVID cruises already and always just waved through the vacc/test station at FLL and SAN. I found the VeriFLY app very easy to use -- unlike ArriveCAN, which is a real kluge.  Dreading the boarding procedure for next month's cruise out of Vancouver.  Vancouver was always a pain for boarding and in-transit procedures, even pre-pandemic.

We had to use ArriveCan in April...full disclosure, I'm Canadian...and I found it easy to use.  🙂  

• Like 2

I used this in APRIL for my cruise.

Works great.  Think of it as an "enabler" for boarding the ship.  It's like red carpet.

I was on Zuiderdam... and it took me approx. 5 minutes from the time I entered the building --- carry-on goes through the detectors --- check your travel documents --- to upstairs to check in --- and physically be aboard the ship.

AWESOME.

---Matthew

• Like 2

My wife and I are one of the 3 test cruises in July leaving from Amsterdam where they are not requiring a pre-cruise COVID test.  However, is still requiring us to enter test results prior to cruise.  Is there any way around this or is Verify useless for our cruise?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, AV8rix said:

Agree!  Intransit was a total mess until the end of May!

But in early June boarding was very easy at Canada Place (with no Verifly). I think they have their act together, now.  They are using more separate stations so the lines go more quickly.  You are not plugged up at one station for a long time while the rep looks at a whole list of your docs. There is the upstairs area, huge, airy with lots of reps and guides.  Then downstairs for security and US Customs. We were very pleased (OK, and surprised).

• Like 1

I've never used VeriFly.  Is it accessed through the Navigator App or is it a separate app I need to download?  My husband doesn't have a smart phone, can I register both of us together?  We're sailing out of Seattle if that makes any difference.  

• Like 1

We used it two weeks ago for our Koningsdam cruise and there was no line at check-in for us. Prior to the cruise, our issue was not with uploading any of the documentation, but the four health questions you have to answer last before you are "verified." I kept answering "no" to all the questions, but when I would hit submit, I would get an error message. Because of the short Covid testing windows before a cruise, you can't do any of this in advance, so of course, it was 11 PM the night before we were flying to Vancouver when I was fighting with the app. I sent Verifly tech support a message through the app explaining my problem, and by the next morning they had fixed the issue and we were good to go. 

We had such a great cruise out of Vancouver that it was worth it in the end, but checking off all the boxes for regular on-line check in, Verifly, Delta FlyReady, and ArriveCAN the two days prior just about put me over the edge!

• Like 1

Well, I used it on June 1 in Vancouver for Zuiderdam.  Since I was on the bus from Seattle, and we didn't arrive until almost 2 pm, I expected shorter lines but there were still lots of people checking in.

There was some confusion as HAL folks were stopping people and asking them if they had Verifly.  If yes, they wanted to see the code; if not, they sent you to a different line.  Except people were just walking past them because they were busy and there was no one stopping them, so people were getting in the wrong line or being called back.

I thought the whole point of Verifly was so you didn't have to show all your documentation at check in.  That didn't seem to be the case.  In fact, I said that to one of the HAL guys directly folks and he laughed and said, "just kidding!" so it, apparently, didn't really cut any corners.

I think Verifly (and other similar airline-based Apps) are a crock!  Why?  Lets understand what these apps are and what they are not!  The apps are simply a program that allows the user to spend time (and it can be significant) filling out an online form and uploading multiple documents (i.e. vaccine certificate, test results, etc).  Every time you want to use this app it may mean having to upload new test results.   The alternative is to simply show your vaccine card (or accepted alternative) and lastest test results.  Showing those documents is actually easier and faster than all the time spent completing the app.  Another issue is that when traveling around Europe we have run into multiple instances where officials ignore the apps and ask to see the actual source documents (vaccine card and test results).  

I should also mention that there are often additional apps required by individual governments such as the Passenger Locator apps.  By the time folks have complied with all these app requirements they have spent a half hour (or more) just trying to upload each document.   Based on our own experience we have found everything works easier by simply having hard copies of our vaccine cards and latest test results around our neck (in a clear neck pouch).  On several occasions in France, Holland, the Czech Republic and Germany we have simply breezed through document checks (by showing our documents) while we see others fumbling with their phones and sometimes having to explain the app they are trying to use (because the official has no clue).

As to our cruises we have simply showed our vaccine cards and test results (we like to carry a hard copy although we have also used our phone for e-mailed results).  We have actually watched folks delayed, when they showed an app, when the official asked to see the actual vaccine card and/or test results.

And finally, the need for most airline apps has disappeared (for airline use) as countries have eliminated COVID requirements.  Back in March, when we were getting ready to return to the USA from our Mexican winter home, we took the time to complete the Verifly App as requested by our airline.  When we got to the airport we were asked to show (twice) our negative test results!  Nobody, not even the airline counter person, had any interest in the app ("just show me your test results").  Go figure.

As to cruises, we recall arriving in Pireaus to board the Seabourn Ovation.  In the terminal we were greeted by the ship's physician who politely asked to see our vaccine cards and test results (which he carefully read before asking us a few COVID related questions).  Nobody had any interest in apps including the than required Greek PLF (Passenger Locator Form).  A couple of weeks later, when we were boarding a Greek ferry (from Pireaus to Naxos) we were stopped by a Greek Coast Guard Officer who demanded to see our vaccine cards and latest test result!  That Officer had no clue about Verifly or any other app.

Hank

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, vcmds said:

I've never used VeriFly.  Is it accessed through the Navigator App or is it a separate app I need to download?  My husband doesn't have a smart phone, can I register both of us together?  We're sailing out of Seattle if that makes any difference.  

Yes, you can put both of you on the same app on one phone.  I did all 3 of us on my phone

We could not get VeriFly to accept any of our documents.  It was a total bust for us.....However, when we boarded Koningsdam in Vancouver, it probably took all of 10 minutes for all 6 in our party to present our ArriveCan receipts, and COVID test results at cruise check in.  The facial recognition (photo uploaded to Navigator App) made the whole process a snap. 

3 hours ago, livinforcruisin said:

Unfortunately, Verifly will not accept our antigen covid test results, even though they were taken within the 72 hours window,  for sailing in Europe (and no, we are not embarking in Greece, which is 48hours). 

I don't believe that HAL has modified Verifly for July test cruises out of Amsterdam.  

On 7/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, Kamfish642 said:

My wife and I are one of the 3 test cruises in July leaving from Amsterdam where they are not requiring a pre-cruise COVID test.  However, is still requiring us to enter test results prior to cruise.  Is there any way around this or is Verify useless for our cruise?

@Kamfish642 my wife and I are also on one of these cruises (Departs this Sunday 10th July).  I have spoken to HAL today about the use of the Verifly app for this cruise and the representative seemed a little baffled by my question.

They confirmed that there was no pre cruise covid test needed, and said you should be able to bypass this section on the Verifly app.  I tried to do this whilst on the phone to HAL and found it could not be done.  The rep then placed me on hold for a while, and upon return stated that “you probably can’t use this system for these cruises that are departing with out the need for a covid test”, and that there probably won’t be enough time for them to get any answers before our cruise date to work around this issue. They then stated that we would just have to line up and show our paperwork when boarding.  

Seems to me like a bit of an oversight on HAL’s behalf when dropping the need for a pre departure covid test for these itineraries. Let’s hope for an easy embarkation with out it on Sunday 😊