Dress for men on non-formal nights

brucedodge

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Meanwhile back in the real world... Sydney Feb 2020 - this was the good bit - inside in the semi-a/c - the queue outside was much worse in over 30C 

IMG_5052.JPG

This is my special document.docx 13.78 kB · 3 downloads

Looks like an evacuation from a volcano eruption that caught all in their work clothes.

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Sure does, was this during the initial COVID debacle?    Does look a bit better than the lines at Walmart.

Nope it was  pre-Covid - basically we were the last Australian cruise unaffected by Covid. It was just a stupid queue because everyone was given the same boarding time. 

9 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Absolutely. You don't see many photos of the full dress Cunard folks posing with boarding passengers in Trainers.

I quite realise your comment is less than complimentary to those whom you consider don’t match up to your outdated sense of what’s 'right' but amazingly, you are right in this instance although not for the reason you might think.

Decades ago, before we joined the dodge the embarkation photographer game  [it's too tedious  to pose for photos once you've got a few under your belt]]  we could have been wearing wellington boots for all the photographic evidence showed. 😄

As for those who see a supermarket queue in Lissie's photo,  I don’t see anything other than a room of probably fed up and possibly tired travellers and according to Lissie, probably  pretty warm too. We don't all travel looking as if we are  lunchtime drinks with the Captain ready! I certainly have travelled the world dressed appropriately, for comfort and not show.
Thankfully,  the judgemental attitude shown by a few on this thread isn't something I ever come across on my Cunard,. 

Thank goodness 🙂
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, lissie said:

Nope it was  pre-Covid - basically we were the last Australian cruise unaffected by Covid. It was just a stupid queue because everyone was given the same boarding time. 

That was really stupid. But I'm not sure how much difference it makes. They spread them out at Southampton, and still lots of people seem to turn up at 12.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I quite realise your comment is less than complimentary to those whom you consider don’t match up to your outdated sense of what’s 'right' but amazingly, you are right in this instance although not for the reason you might think.

Decades ago, before we joined the dodge the embarkation photographer game  [it's too tedious  to pose for photos once you've got a few under your belt]]  we could have been wearing wellington boots for all the photographic evidence showed. 😄

As for those who see a supermarket queue in Lissie's photo,  I don’t see anything other than a room of probably fed up and possibly tired travellers and according to Lissie, probably  pretty warm too. We don't all travel looking as if we are  lunchtime drinks with the Captain ready! I certainly have travelled the world dressed appropriately, for comfort and not show.
Thankfully,  the judgemental attitude shown by a few on this thread isn't something I ever come across on my Cunard,. 

Thank goodness 🙂

While I have zero interest in clothes, I have never understood why smart clothes are considered uncomfortable? Also, in the photos, why on earth are people (men) wearing jackets at all? I can just about see why you might, if it's your jacket for dinner, which there was no room to pack, but, even so  wouldn't you take it off in the hot queue, particularly as you are going to have to take it off in the end for security?

45 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

While I have zero interest in clothes, I have never understood why smart clothes are considered uncomfortable? Also, in the photos, why on earth are people (men) wearing jackets at all? I can just about see why you might, if it's your jacket for dinner, which there was no room to pack, but, even so  wouldn't you take it off in the hot queue, particularly as you are going to have to take it off in the end for security?

I did not make and will not make any comment on the clothes worn in the photograph. Not my place to do so other than to say the wearers look fed up.

Define 'smart'!

I might wear my trainers [OK, only  occasionally I have to admit  😀] and jeans to board a ship. but I know for a fact I look a darned sight more Cunard ready than many who consider themselves 'smartly' dressed. I'm not creased or crumpled for starters.

My mother used to board a plane in the 50's and 60s and Cunard in the 70s and 80's in full 'Sunday Best' including a hat and  gloves but then she never wore a pair of trousers and hated my jeans!😃

I can't think of anything more uncomfortable! Comfort for me doesn't mean a tracksuit or equivalent, but it does mean something in which I feel easy  and for me, when travelling,  that's not drinks do ready.

Edited by Victoria2
make not made

Perhaps some of them would look marginally less fed up I find they made themselves less hot by remove I got their jackets. 😀

Smart is undefinable, but easy to recognise. I bet most would pick the same items out of a collection of photos.

I, like your mother, have never owned a pair of trainers:  why do I want to look as if I play sports, which I loathe? Or as if I'm a French builder, the original users of denim, which I'm far to lazy to be? I always wear a dress and often wear high heels for embarkation, but comfortable ones, which are easy to remove (the shoes not the dress, though if asked...) for embarkation. I even sometimes have a hat, but that's because of the sun. Last time, I also had gloves, but that was for the cold. 😀

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps some of them would look marginally less fed up I find they made themselves less hot by remove I got their jackets. 😀

Smart is undefinable, but easy to recognise. I bet most would pick the same items out of a collection of photos.

I, like your mother, have never owned a pair of trainers:  why do I want to look as if I play sports, which I loathe? Or as if I'm a French builder, the original users of denim, which I'm far to lazy to be? I always wear a dress and often wear high heels for embarkation, but comfortable ones, which are easy to remove (the shoes not the dress, though if asked...) for embarkation. I even sometimes have a hat, but that's because of the sun. Last time, I also had gloves, but that was for the cold. 😀

My hats get packed as do gloves. The only dresses I own are full length which I think a tad OTT  to board  a ship in, even Cunard!😊

Denim has changed over the decades. It's no long de rigueur to be Levi blue and if asked to pick a well dressed passenger in jeans of any colour or one who fits a 'smart' definition but looks like a  Hyacinth, I know which I'd go for.

Each to their own but going back to my original comment, I would no more be judgemental about others' dress, than fly to the moon. Not my style.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

That was really stupid. But I'm not sure how much difference it makes. They spread them out at Southampton, and still lots of people seem to turn up at 12.

Well nothing has changed - I just checked in for our cruise on the 24th - guess what time I got to board  12 - let me take a wild guess what time everyone else has got? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I've no idea - I was wearing shorts and a  t-shirt!  But I'm not sure where they would put jackets - there was no porters to hand LOL . 

This was past security - the queue wasn't bad this  was the queue to get on the ship 

52 minutes ago, lissie said:

I've no idea - I was wearing shorts and a  t-shirt!  But I'm not sure where they would put jackets - there was no porters to hand LOL . 

This was past security - the queue wasn't bad this  was the queue to get on the ship 

Well, what I would do is rest it over the top of my hand luggage.

Usually, at Soton, security is the last hurdle, and there is only a short queue for the ship.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

My hats get packed as do gloves. The only dresses I own are full length which I think a tad OTT  to board  a ship in, even Cunard!😊

Denim has changed over the decades. It's no long de rigueur to be Levi blue and if asked to pick a well dressed passenger in jeans of any colour or one who fits a 'smart' definition but looks like a  Hyacinth, I know which I'd go for.

Each to their own but going back to my original comment, I would no more be judgemental about others' dress, than fly to the moon. Not my style.

Believe me, you would have needed gloves in the Covid testing tent to ward off frostbite during the long wait. I always put my hat in hand luggage in case I want to walk around in the sun before the my suitcase arrives.

Wow.  Just wow.  I was going to scroll on, which I usually do when I read topics that I don't necessarily agree with.  But this one has really resonated with me.

I have seen heated conversations about appropriate dress in the past, but they usually pertain to dining room attire.  But what people are wearing to board the ship???  Again, wow.

We have 30 cruises under our belt, and will be cruising Cunard for the first time in August.  After reading this, I'm very hesitant.

We conform to dress guidelines.  We never wear "torn" clothing (although to buy jeans with tears in them are now considered stylish and quite costly).  We are always clean and well presented.  Our choice of shoes is made for comfort, especially my own as I have double knee replacements.

But to think fellow cruisers will be eyeing us while we wait to board to see if we are "setting the tone" adequately, or looking like we play sports because we are wearing trainers, is not something I ever thought I'd experience.  Let alone be in a group photo while we wait to board, only to have it posted and comments made on whether we are good enough?  Wow.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, High C's said:

Wow.  Just wow.  I was going to scroll on, which I usually do when I read topics that I don't necessarily agree with.  But this one has really resonated with me.

I have seen heated conversations about appropriate dress in the past, but they usually pertain to dining room attire.  But what people are wearing to board the ship???  Again, wow.

We have 30 cruises under our belt, and will be cruising Cunard for the first time in August.  After reading this, I'm very hesitant.

We conform to dress guidelines.  We never wear "torn" clothing (although to buy jeans with tears in them are now considered stylish and quite costly).  We are always clean and well presented.  Our choice of shoes is made for comfort, especially my own as I have double knee replacements.

But to think fellow cruisers will be eyeing us while we wait to board to see if we are "setting the tone" adequately, or looking like we play sports because we are wearing trainers, is not something I ever thought I'd experience.  Let alone be in a group photo while we wait to board, only to have it posted and comments made on whether we are good enough?  Wow.

I really wouldn't think twice about it. I was the perpetrator of some of the comments that make you uneasy. And I'm sorry, but I do think it's daft to wear a hot jacket on a hot day, which is only going to make you hotter. As to the trainers, I merely said I didn't my wish to look as if I played sports, because I loathe sport. How other people look is entirely up to them and I know many people in fact think sports are some sort of benefit to society. In any case I am so short sighted that I would be very unlikely to notice footwear, unless it was very smelly - which has happened a few times on trains. So if it Is my comments that are worrying you, please ignore.

22 minutes ago, High C's said:

Chill High C's

Cunard is nothing like the picture you've shown concern about. Nothing. What. So. Ever. 😄

No one gives a damm, to busy trying to get to cabin,  drop hand luggage and get a bite to eat.

Cunard makes it very clear wear what you are comfortable with. 

Only a few diehards moan on CC not in real life

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

Whilst there are times when it is respectful to comply with the "traditional" dress codes, e.g. after 6;00pm, don't forget, you are on holiday.

Wear whatever you like (within reason) during the day. There are only a few basic rules, like no swim wear in the restaurants. Most reasonable people comply without thinking about it.

Relax and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 2

Well the choice has been taken out of our hands with our decision to travel with cabin baggage only for our 2 week cruise on QE in August. We are flying with BA via Heathrow and with looming strikes and a mountain of luggage at present we have taken the line of least resistance and think to have less clothes than we would normally take is better than none at all. Had some excellent advice here on CC and have taken it all on board (pardon the pun). Thank goodness for Cunard self service laundries. You never know, this might be the future of our luggage choice but I doubt it. I do love my shoes/bags. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Whilst there are times when it is respectful to comply with the "traditional" dress codes, e.g. after 6;00pm, don't forget, you are on holiday.

Wear whatever you like (within reason) during the day. There are only a few basic rules, like no swim wear in the restaurants. Most reasonable people comply without thinking about it.

Relax and enjoy yourselves.

Thanks.   Yes, we always comply with whatever dress code the CRUISE LINE dictates, and we enjoy doing so.  And we fully intend on enjoying ourselves.  This is our first cruise since Covid started (first of 4 in a row) so we are extremely excited.

It was the comments of the posters that I found distasteful.  Everyone has their own sense of style.  But to insult others choices in such a demeaning way rings of arrogance in MY opinion.  THAT is was concerned me.  Comments that the people in the photograph looked like "detained economic migrants" or that it looked like the people "were caught in a volcano eruption and were still in their work clothes".  Along with the sheer arrogance of the comments themselves, they are describing actual people who's faces are in the photo.  How would they be made to feel if they happen upon this thread?  Inexcusable comments in MY opinion.  Glad to hear from others that this is not the typical type of person we will meet on the QM2.  I hope you're right.

Anyway, I've said my piece and will leave it at that.  

Edited by High C's
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, High C's said:

Thanks.   Yes, we always comply with whatever dress code the CRUISE LINE dictates, and we enjoy doing so.  And we fully intend on enjoying ourselves.  This is our first cruise since Covid started (first of 4 in a row) so we are extremely excited.

It was the comments of the posters that I found distasteful.  Everyone has their own sense of style.  But to insult others choices in such a demeaning way rings of arrogance in MY opinion.  THAT is was concerned me.  Comments that the people in the photograph looked like "detained economic migrants" or that it looked like the people "were caught in a volcano eruption and were still in their work clothes".  Along with the sheer arrogance of the comments themselves, they are describing actual people who's faces are in the photo.  How would they be made to feel if they happen upon this thread?  Inexcusable comments in MY opinion.  Glad to hear from others that this is not the typical type of person we will meet on the QM2.  I hope you're right.

Anyway, I've said my piece and will leave it at that.  

You are right. You'll not come across this on boarding or onboard. 

Have a wonderful time. 🙂

• Like 1