On board QV now 3rd July 22

cook68

We are now onboard for a week to the Fjords. It looks like it's all gone back to normal. Facemasks are back to recommended, some are wearing some not. Laundry open and I've just sat at the bar for a drink. Phew quiet relived, but I am expecting things to change at short notice.
I might be able to do little checking during the week so let me know if you have any questions. 
Big refill bottles in the bathroom [Britannia] please don't take as they are saving plastic and are refillable. Carpet in room is old but cleaned and looks like a new sofa [covering] and new curtains. Carpet in corridors seems new as soft on footing. Pub looks exactly the same. That's it so far.
It won't let me add image of letter what could I be doing wrong? it is a jpeg

• Like 4

• Host Hattie changed the title to On board QV now 3rd July 22
17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

How was embarkation?

Very easy just be organised. No big queue. Also NO food anywhere not till 6 no pub food at all any day and no lido till 6pm and I’m starving 🫣

6 minutes ago, cook68 said:

I'll try to help. Tell us more about what error you are receiving. Or is the issue that you are having trouble following all the steps to add an image to your post? If it's the latter, I'll list what it takes to add a photo taken on my android phone using the chrome browser to access Cruise Critic.

1) Start to create a reply to this thread.

2) Tap "Add files".

3) Select "Files" as the action.

4) Choose "Images" as the location from the dropdown at the upper left.

5) Select "Camera" from the list of images locations.

6) Select the photo you want to attach.

7) Tap "insert" at the lower right of the "Uploaded Images" frame that appears beneath your post to insert the image into your post.

Phew! Hope that helps. But again, if you are receiving an error message, please let us know to help with further troubleshooting the issue.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cook68 said:

Very easy just be organised. No big queue. Also NO food anywhere not till 6 no pub food at all any day and no lido till 6pm and I’m starving 🫣

Very glad embarkation was painless, perhaps helped by there being only two ships in today, so staff spread less thinly. No pub food? Ever? Eeeeek. It's so popular.

Edie to add there was food in the lido earlier, they must have had a little clean up break. Usually there was a little something in between but not today any way. No pub food for now I think they said due to capacity or staff. I will ask again why and get a full answer. 
Most people are not mask wearing [for now] All staff are. The ship is up to 60% capacity and 70% crew. So the bar staff said. 
I know how to add files bluemarble but it's giving me an error message. "there was a problem uploading" my file size 3.1 mb 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cook68 said:

ok that worked might be wonky signal This is the on board letter waiting in our room 

Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 18.28.53.png

Yeah, we'll chalk that one up to a poor connection. The previous attempts probably timed out during the upload. The maximum resolution of a Cruise Critic image attachment is 1200 pixels along the longest dimension (this photo ended up 933 x 1200). So, if you happen to have an app that can rescale your photos, that might help with wonky connectivity by reducing the size of the file being uploaded.

• Like 1

So much confusion with this Mask mandate on Victoria.

On the 29th June ( after 10 days of the itinerary) guests were 'Asked' to wear a mask 

Four days later on the 3rd July, guests are 'Requested' to wear a mask . friends onboard at the moment are messaging  to say some are and many not. 🤷‍♂️  

Masks (and other requirements) gets triggered by Cunard after a certain amount of people test positive onboard, so for the "masks ruin my cruise" fans, the requirement can and, thankfully, do change at a short notice as witnessed on the previous QV cruise where the requirement changed after 10 days. I find this a very sensible approach by Cunard and I have to say when the masks were required the compliance level was really really high (I probably saw just 2 people not wearing one). Given the new wave of covid cases I think we all need to be prepared to small changes like masks wearing, that have no impact whatsoever to my enjoyment of a cruise.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, cook68 said:

We are now onboard for a week to the Fjords. It looks like it's all gone back to normal. Facemasks are back to recommended, some are wearing some not. Laundry open and I've just sat at the bar for a drink. Phew quiet relived, but I am expecting things to change at short notice.
I might be able to do little checking during the week so let me know if you have any questions. 
Big refill bottles in the bathroom [Britannia] please don't take as they are saving plastic and are refillable. Carpet in room is old but cleaned and looks like a new sofa [covering] and new curtains. Carpet in corridors seems new as soft on footing. Pub looks exactly the same. That's it so far.

I'm so pleased  to read your post Cook68, I can't think how I overlooked it the first time I looked into this thread.

So pleased to hear that things onboard Queen Victoria appear to be back to 'some sense of normality'. I posted in another thread that I had recently returned from the June 5th itinerary where I had a wonderful cruise around the Med, spent every evening at the Commodore Bar Top during pre dinner cocktails , no masks with the exception of 'recommend' in the Theatre, Lido & laundry operating as normal and lots of dancing in the Ballroom each evening   - just to add, I'm an avid ballroom dancer and a solo gentleman and  as Cunard have yet to provide Gentlemen hosts I was danced off my feet .   

I really hope everything keeps up well for you as they did for me . 🤞  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, cook68 said:

Also NO food anywhere not till 6 no pub food at all any day and no lido till 6pm and I’m starving 🫣

On another, lesser line (hints- ships are full, cash flow positive, three letters, starts with C), the Hotel Directors have stepped up in a big way after the lockdown.  The bridge officers are cloistered, but the HD and Housekeeping Manager are walking the decks and picking up trash and making sure there is food for the guests and finding and fixing process breakdowns.   

Based on the recent reports (not to get too dramatic) it seems the shutdown/layoffs broke the Cunard culture and they need to recover it.   

Wednesday, now 6th July
We are having a great time. The weather is pants, drizzle at both ports so far and hazy views but that could always happen on a trip like this. Life on board feel very normal so far. i'd guess 95% are not wearing masks and all staff are. Sitting at all bars and not much mask wearing in the theatre either. All the staff we have come across are so friendly, extremely helpful and very chatty. I feel like they are all glad to be back on board as much as we are. Nothing is to much trouble. We did have a very smelly bathroom for a good day {I had heard this in the past with others] It now seems to be fixed, fingers crossed. We have received a $40 voucher each for the spa, I am not sure if that's a normal  thing or their way of an apposite. I'm not sure if we will have time to use it though. 
I think the food is excellent [Britannia] It is my 3rd cruise and the food is the best I have had. 
No Captains party, in fact I have not seen any high ranking officer as yet. We are given complimentary fizz at our B/W gala evening at our table. 
I was told the ship has 60% passengers and 70% crew. For the person who asked, yes Britannia dining has a full set of new dining chairs they are a soft blue colour and a mix of leather and fabric. 
I am relaxing for a hour or so, after our 8 mile hiking at Skjolden today so if you have any questions I can try and answer while I have the laptop out. 

• Like 4

I have a few questions to ask

*we have booked late dining at 8.30 as the 6pm sitting is way too early bit is that rigid will we be able to go in a little earlier say 8-8.15

*show times in the theatre as above we prefer to go to the shows after dinner what time is the late show

* afternoon tea is it only in the Queens room or is there a help yourself one instead buffet

*can I carry on a box of wine as opposed to bottles. DH prefers gin and I just like one glass wine pre dinner as I dress so a box stay fresh better

*are the wine packages good value, looked at the captains one, better to pre book or wait til on board

*are daily programs delivered each evening at turn down or do you have to ask

We are going Brittania balcony and mdr thank you 

• Like 1

I forgot to add there is a very large Mexican contingency on board at a Ford convention. I never knew they did this kind of thing. There has to be a good 100 plus of them at least. It has changed to dynamics on board and they are quite loud when they often appear in large groups. Not loud in a nasty way at all but it does draw attention. The yacht club was quiet full and everyone having a great time. Some of them also have not got the memo re dressing for dinner. JEANS on a gala night, in fact every night and one sits there with a baseball cap on the whole time while others sit eating holding phones and chatting. I'm so glad they are behind me It would drive my crazy. Let me add not all are dressing like this most are making an effort. Is this new to Cunard hosting  conferences. It is a first time I have seen one on board.  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, ew101 said:

On another, lesser line (hints- ships are full, cash flow positive, three letters, starts with C), the Hotel Directors have stepped up in a big way after the lockdown.  The bridge officers are cloistered, but the HD and Housekeeping Manager are walking the decks and picking up trash and making sure there is food for the guests and finding and fixing process breakdowns.   

Based on the recent reports (not to get too dramatic) it seems the shutdown/layoffs broke the Cunard culture and they need to recover it.   

I cant think of any three letter line beginning with C, though several,with a C in them. Am I being deeply dim?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I have a few questions to ask

*we have booked late dining at 8.30 as the 6pm sitting is way too early bit is that rigid will we be able to go in a little earlier say 8-8.15

*show times in the theatre as above we prefer to go to the shows after dinner what time is the late show

* afternoon tea is it only in the Queens room or is there a help yourself one instead buffet

*can I carry on a box of wine as opposed to bottles. DH prefers gin and I just like one glass wine pre dinner as I dress so a box stay fresh better

*are the wine packages good value, looked at the captains one, better to pre book or wait til on board

*are daily programs delivered each evening at turn down or do you have to ask

We are going Brittania balcony and mdr thank you 

I think 8pm will be to early to walk in. We got down there at 8.20 last night and they called us over to come in. 
Show time after 8.30 sitting is 10pm but it has been cancelled one night due to a "sickness" A film was offered instead. Will Smith in King Richard or something like that, the tennis one
Afternoon tea is also served in the Lido and you can order to your room no charge.
Carry your box of wine. I had a bag full of tonic a bottle of gin and baileys plus 2 prosecco and managed to drop the lot out on the floor at security. They just laughed at my mortified face! 
I am not a big wine drinker so can't help with that one. If you are not a big drinker and alcohol package is not worth it. 
Evening program in on the bed every night with a now not impressive NON Godiva chocolate. I was so underwhelmed I've not even eat any yet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cook68 said:

Wednesday, now 6th July
We are having a great time. The weather is pants, drizzle at both ports so far and hazy views but that could always happen on a trip like this. Life on board feel very normal so far. i'd guess 95% are not wearing masks and all staff are. Sitting at all bars and not much mask wearing in the theatre either. All the staff we have come across are so friendly, extremely helpful and very chatty. I feel like they are all glad to be back on board as much as we are. Nothing is to much trouble. We did have a very smelly bathroom for a good day {I had heard this in the past with others] It now seems to be fixed, fingers crossed. We have received a $40 voucher each for the spa, I am not sure if that's a normal  thing or their way of an apposite. I'm not sure if we will have time to use it though. 
I think the food is excellent [Britannia] It is my 3rd cruise and the food is the best I have had. 
No Captains party, in fact I have not seen any high ranking officer as yet. We are given complimentary fizz at our B/W gala evening at our table. 
I was told the ship has 60% passengers and 70% crew. For the person who asked, yes Britannia dining has a full set of new dining chairs they are a soft blue colour and a mix of leather and fabric. 
I am relaxing for a hour or so, after our 8 mile hiking at Skjolden today so if you have any questions I can try and answer while I have the laptop out. 

Just what I want to hear Cooke68 , Continue to enjoy everything . 👍 just as my cruise was on the 5th June .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for your reports, it's good to hear you're having a great time despite the weather.

Sorry to hear about your bag dropping, did they break ?!

Thankfully no but we did get a little fizz on the floor! This meant it had to be opened properly as soon as we got to our cabin. It means the Pol acker is still sat there full. Also the mini bar was empty. They are happy to deliver to your room but we have not done this.  

• Like 2