Kids, phones and Celebrity app

itsanita

We will be with 6 kids on a Celebrity cruise in July.  All but 2 of them have a phone.  I am wondering how the ship app work for kids.  

We adults have downloaded and created passwords and user names.   

Can the kids use the same ones?  Or do we have to create their own user name and password?   

The apps have a 'communication' area that we are hoping we can use to keep in touch while on the ship with the kids.  

I also read that Princess has some kind of app that will allow you to see where the kids are at all times.  Does Celebrity have this capability?

Can anyone fill me in on how this works?   

You can message with the app however, it does no sound a alert or any notification of a new message. So unless you are consistently looking at the phone you won’t know you have a message. 

To my knowledge to app feature to let you track kids.  Celebrity doesn’t attract nearly as many kids a Princess, Royal or others with water slides, flow riders etc

As recent as April the app notifies you of a message.  Why they didn't have it from the start is amazing to me.    You do not need to logged onto an paid account to use the messaging system on the Celebrity App.   I know you can setup who you can text and am sure they could help you setup.   

I may be wrong but I believe you have to be linked by reservation to message.   I setup once and was give the option of selecting my partner as the only option.

• Like 1

It depends on the kids’ ages. My son is too young for the app, so I believe I created an account for him and put in the incorrect birthday to make him a couple years older. I then added the confirmation number to the app, and it worked fine allowing us to communicate. We used it to message with him onboard whenever we were separated. 

12 hours ago, schittenden said:

It depends on the kids’ ages. My son is too young for the app, so I believe I created an account for him and put in the incorrect birthday to make him a couple years older. I then added the confirmation number to the app, and it worked fine allowing us to communicate. We used it to message with him onboard whenever we were separated. 

thanks so much!

28 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

We put Life 360 in our kids phones (and ours)...gives us comfort that we can track them as they freely roam around.

Does it work on cruise ships?  It uses GPS right?   Unless you are on the top open to sky deck, I found that GPS location does not work at almost anywhere else on the ship as there is too much metal around like you are in a parking garage.

I remember using a GPS app to track my location of the ship on my last cruise.   It ends up showing me in Florida, then teleport to the next port, showing up in the middle of ocean, teleported to the next port, etc...

• 1 month later...

Tip:. The vlogger Royal Carribean Blog has a video on YouTube that walks through the app setup for communicating.  In April the Celebrity app was virtually the same.  It was very helpful and avoided having to figure it out while having fomo on the first day at sea.  We tried several other communication methods and the app was the most efficient and reliable.  All our phones were setup on the wifi, however.  We also were on a cruise with less than 20 kids (pre lifting of requirements and pre toddler vaccine).  The crew went out of their way to meet and identify themselves to our junior cruiser.  And, generally crew was very alert and helpful in connecting with other passengers in our party.  

Bring a back up battery pack for your phone, as you may run down more frequently or at the worst time. 

11 hours ago, topanga49er said:

Hi.  Was also really curious about this.  Whole family has life 360.  Will we be able to find each other when in airplane mode on this app?  On Wonder of the seas in Spring.

thank you

True, you do need wifi for this to work. But we always get wifi, so this is a good solution for us.  We were on Millie last week and  it again worked well.

52 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

True, you do need wifi for this to work. But we always get wifi, so this is a good solution for us.  We were on Millie last week and  it again worked well.

Interesting, as our 360 only showed as a 'blip' in the middle of the ocean, not where anyone was on the ship.  Not real helpful.