Does Medicare reimburse purchases of Emed proctored tests for travel?

In the past we’ve used the Emed proctored tests for travel without any issues, including while in a hotel room in Italy. 
I have read here about other places we can do the test online our OTC tests, which we may try next time.

But I’ve seen some here that say they have been reimbursed from Medicare for the tests purchased from Emed . Has anyone had that experience that they can share how?

No, not any more. As of April 4, 2022, Medicare started a new program where they pay for up to eight over-the-counter COVID-19 tests from a participating pharmacy or health care provider after the initiative starts. However, if you get the free I-Health brand test, they can be proctored, but you'll have to cover the cost which, right now is around $15 -$20 per test.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

In the past we’ve used the Emed proctored tests for travel without any issues, including while in a hotel room in Italy. 
I have read here about other places we can do the test online our OTC tests, which we may try next time.

But I’ve seen some here that say they have been reimbursed from Medicare for the tests purchased from Emed . Has anyone had that experience that they can share how?

I think you need a Dr. prescription to get reimbursed thru Medicare.

28 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just don't forget, travel is a luxury item, and the testing is not medical.  

Absolutely!  The people looking for their tests to be paid for are enough to drive me crazy.  If we are going on our own personal vacation, just pony up and pay the piper for the privilege.  I am sure medicare has enough real life tests they need to cover.

15 minutes ago, babyblue78 said:

As long as the CDC or government entities call for testing in order for the public to have free travel, it should be paid for or reimbursed. 

Exactly. If it's not important enough for the feds to pay for it, it's not important enough to enforce

20 minutes ago, babyblue78 said:

As long as the CDC or government entities call for testing in order for the public to have free travel, it should be paid for or reimbursed. 

I don't like sharing in the cost of paying for your vacation COVID tests.  I have some bills for tests that I took and paid for out-of-pocket, for personal reasons, may I submit those for shared reimbursement.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I don't like sharing in the cost of paying for your vacation COVID tests.  I have some bills for tests that I took and paid for out-of-pocket, for personal reasons, may I submit those for shared reimbursement.

That's fine... address that with government leadership, this covid testing is done at the government's behest.  I shouldn't have to pay for tests that I am ordered to take.  Are the tests you took ordered by the government, if so you should get reimbursed as well. 

Me, I'm submitting mine for reimbursement from my insurance. 

3 minutes ago, babyblue78 said:

That's fine... address that with government leadership, this covid testing is done at the government's behest.  I shouldn't have to pay for tests that I am ordered to take.  Are the tests you took ordered by the government, if so you should get reimbursed as well. 

Nope, the tests I took were for personal reasons, i.e. a land vacation, where I was not required to do so, I chose to just to be certain I did not have it so I'd know before I travel.  I say again, perhaps it is required to travel by the government, it is not ordered.  You have chosen to go on a luxury cruise vacation, the government did not tell you to do that.  Though obviously you expect someone else to pay for it.  

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Nope, the tests I took were for personal reasons, i.e. a land vacation, where I was not required to do so, I chose to just to be certain I did not have it so I'd know before I travel.  I say again, perhaps it is required to travel by the government, it is not ordered.  You have chosen to go on a luxury cruise vacation, the government did not tell you to do that.  Though obviously you expect someone else to pay for it.  

Gov't is paying for everything else under the sun, and throwing money around like  drunken sailosr, so why not my covid test.  With respect to drunken sailors, at least they spend their own money.  😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, babyblue78 said:

Is it the CDV making them test or is Royal requiring it by choice?   

Also, a passport is required for many types of international travel.   Why must we pay for that too?  The logic here is a slippery slope and one is making you cruise.  The testing required shouldn’t be paid for by the tax payers or more realistically via debt that will be the burden of the next generation.  

The government requires certain taxes to be paid, and on many international trips, a sales tax and a VAT tax, and let's not forget if you go over your limit, you have to pay a duty.  Just because it is required does not mean the government or insurance needs to pay for it.

But that's just it...you are not "ordered to take" the tests.  You choose to go on a vacation that requires them.  You don't have to choose that type of vacation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, babyblue78 said:

CDC and government entities never required it.  Cruise lines agreed to require testing voluntarily as a way to get approved to restart cruises...

Thanks everyone. I figured it was something that they did in the past.  We usually do the emed tests. 

My question was that knowing that we get a certain amount of tests from the government monthly if we need -  I was wondering if anyone got reimbursed that allowable amount towards the emed tests.

I have no problem paying and will again, I was just curious because the emed site clearly says it’s covered by some insurance companies.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Thanks everyone. I figured it was something that they did in the past.  We usually do the emed tests. 

My question was that knowing that we get a certain amount of tests from the government monthly if we need -  I was wondering if anyone got reimbursed that allowable amount towards the emed tests.

I have no problem paying and will again, I was just curious because the emed site clearly says it’s covered by some insurance companies.

I was able to get reimbursed at the standard non proctored rate ($12 per test) for the Emed proctored tests. Saved me quite a bit of money. Now this was through regular commercial insurance not Medicare, so maybe there is a difference. 

6 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I was able to get reimbursed at the standard non proctored rate ($12 per test) for the Emed proctored tests. Saved me quite a bit of money. Now this was through regular commercial insurance not Medicare, so maybe there is a difference. 

Thanks, that was what I was wondering about. I knew I saw it somewhere. 
thanks. I guess Medicare won’t do that .

10 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Thanks, that was what I was wondering about. I knew I saw it somewhere. 
thanks. I guess Medicare won’t do that .

We have Scan through medicare advantage in California and they have stoped the reimbursement. Only if required through a doctor will they pay.