Premium Stateroom Bar Set Up

smmountaingal

Can someone explain what this Bar Set up is that can be purchased on the cruise planner?  What experience do you have with it?

We are not going to upgrade our Classic drink package but think buying some liquor for our cabin that is premium, will allow us options.  Does it contain 3 bottles of liquor plus set ups?

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

If we're talking about the Bon Voyage 'gifts':

One (1) Bottle of booze, mixer and snacks.

Pretty pricey.  $100 for the basic brands, $130 for better brands.

Yes, it is pricey.  What is the room service price to purchase a bottle of liquor in comparison?

1 minute ago, smmountaingal said:

Yes, it is pricey.  What is the room service price to purchase a bottle of liquor in comparison?

Interestingly enough, not an option.  Wine, yes.  Booze, no, apart from miniatures in the minibar.

• Thanks 1

Frankly, unless you just want a bottle in your room, I think you're better off either paying the occasional upcharge for a premium drink or actually considering upgrading to the premium package.  I know you say you don't want to do the latter, but it might be worth keeping an open mind.  The good news is that you can make that decision on the ship.

I checked the premium package on the cruise planner, and you have a selection of Jack Daniels, Bombay Sapphire, Glenlivet, Grey Goose, JW Black, Ketel One, and Knob Creek.  Just for grins, the classic selections were Absolut, Bacardi Silver, Captain Morgan, Jameson, JW Red, Tanqueray, and Tito's.

Of course, the disclaimer is there that availability varies.  I'd listen to that disclaimer right now!

I've ordered it before and just ordered for a cruise yesterday.   You order from the Planner under Drinks.   You select 1 Premium or Classic then choice your choice of label.  The bar setup comes with 1 liter bottle and mixers.    It should be in your room with glasses upon checkin.    Gratuities are added during checkout and you can charge against OBC prior to cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, George C said:

Upgrade to a royal suite and you get two premium bottles.

We got upgraded to a RS on our last cruise and they credited back the cost of the setup we had purchased.   While many don't see the sense of it -  Iain often enjoys a quiet drink in the room after we return to the room in the evening and doesn't feel like running down to the bar to grab a drink.  It all depends on what we each enjoy and are comfortable with.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We got upgraded to a RS on our last cruise and they credited back the cost of the setup we had purchased.   While many don't see the sense of it -  Iain often enjoys a quiet drink in the room after we return to the room in the evening and doesn't feel like running down to the bar to grab a drink.  It all depends on what we each enjoy and are comfortable with.

We spend lots of time in bar area with live music, so last couple of times we took home both bottles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, George C said:

We spend lots of time in bar area with live music, so last couple of times we took home both bottles.

On our last cruise with 4 liters from the B2B Iain did bring two with us.    One for Quarantine -  for medicinal purposes only of course; and one, for our trip to Scotland. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

On our last cruise with 4 liters from the B2B Iain did bring two with us.    One for Quarantine -  for medicinal purposes only of course; and one, for our trip to Scotland. 

For medicinal purposes 🤣

Sounds like my family when we get colds, we drink more whiskey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

For medicinal purposes 🤣

Sounds like my family when we get colds, we drink more whiskey

LOL --- Covid was the reason for the Crown Royal worldwide shortage.    So many were at home drinking for Medicinal purposes they drank the inventory dry, per the manufacturer.    Hard to speed up aged whiskeys to fill the supply line.

I spend alot of time in the bar areas too, but we will be on the same ship for 36 days on b2b2b.  So, I too like a nice cocktail in my room.  I still may consider this as an option on the first cruise. 

Thanks all for your comments.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, smmountaingal said:

I spend alot of time in the bar areas too, but we will be on the same ship for 36 days on b2b2b.  So, I too like a nice cocktail in my room.  I still may consider this as an option on the first cruise. 

Thanks all for your comments.

We are also leaving on a B3B and additionally the reason to splurge.   We often may buy on first leg and then buy duty free on the last night and they just have you take it with your instead of delivering to your room.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, smmountaingal said:

I spend alot of time in the bar areas too, but we will be on the same ship for 36 days on b2b2b. 

Ah, a new data point!

As Jim suggests, and while treating each leg of a B2B itinerary as a unique 'cruise' mostly works against you these days, this is one instance in which it can be of benefit!

Duty free booze is returned to your cabin the night before the end of 'the cruise', and for whatever reason, this happens even when you'll be staying on for additional legs.  It's just a quirk of the system.  So if you do pick something up either onboard at duty free or find something you like at a port stop during the first leg, you'll have it delivered to you on the last night of that first leg and you'll have it for the remainder of your B3B.  You can do the same during the 2nd leg if you start to run dry!

Edited by canderson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ah, a new data point!

As Jim suggests, and while treating each leg of a B2B itinerary as a unique 'cruise' mostly works against you these days, this is one instance in which it can be of benefit!

Duty free booze is returned to your cabin the night before the end of 'the cruise', and for whatever reason, this happens even when you'll be staying on for additional legs.  It's just a quirk of the system.  So if you do pick something up either onboard at duty free or find something you like at a port stop during the first leg, you'll have it delivered to you on the last night of that first leg and you'll have it for the remainder of your B3B.  You can do the same during the 2nd leg if you start to run dry!

Shhhhh..... they will revise the policy.  LOL    It is an interesting quirk we found out on one of our first B2B's.  We've never tried buying something ashore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Shhhhh..... they will revise the policy.  LOL    It is an interesting quirk we found out on one of our first B2B's.  We've never tried buying something ashore.  

Picked up a bottle of Blanton's on leg 1 of our last Caribbean B2B, checked it in at boarding at the port, and was pleasantly surprised to have it returned at the end of leg 1 instead of leg 2, but in retrospect, it's treated just like duty free.

So if you run across anything interesting...

14 hours ago, smmountaingal said:

Indeed, I totally revise my suggestion now that you've said that.  Go ahead and grab yourself a bottle for the first leg or so and replenish via the shops.  Have fun!

• Like 1

I thought about purchasing this for a cruise I was on in March, decided against it.  I think in the future I will purchase it or figure some other plan out.  The reason is Celebrity's drink policy, 1 drink per person, if you want to enjoy some drinks on your balcony, your really not enjoying drinks on your balcony because your having to run to a bar to get a fresh one every time.  On my first day I tried to order a "bucket of beers" at the pool bar to take back to my cabin, to be told I was stupid to pay for them when I had the drink pkg. and was shamed into not buying them.  As much as I dis-like NCL for nickel and diming you, at least they allow 2 drinks per person...

I bought this for my parents, so they could make a nightcap when we were on the Millennium through the Panama Canal. It became a comedy of errors when the bottle didn't show up for days, despite several officers knowing it was missing. Some mixers came also, and they were able to swap them out for seltzer (even though I told the officers on the Quest for The Missing Vodka that they wanted seltzer with it). I would walk them to their cabin at night and peek in, hoping the bottle had arrived while they were away for the evening. In the end there was a specialty dinner given to us as a sorry (it was also my birthday), especially because the excellent GSO remembered when I was on myself previously and my flowers got lost, and she was so embarrassed. I was quite surprised that it was a 750 mL bottle of Grey Goose provided, as I have only ever seen 1 L bottles on ships, whether in the shops or the bars. Maybe that was part of the delay. 

• Like 1