Obstructed Oceanview Cabins...

NavyCruiser

We have the opportunity to upgrade our group booking of 10 cabins from inside to Obstructed Oceanview cabins for only $50/person more for the 7 nights, for midship location on Deck 8, right above the shops on Deck 7.

Worth it?

Still a good deal, to get some sunshine, even though it's obstructed oceanview?

BTW, regular oceanviews are even $400 more pp, almost as much as balcony... 

8 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

We have the opportunity to upgrade our group booking of 10 cabins from inside to Obstructed Oceanview cabins for only $50/person more for the 7 nights, for midship location on Deck 8, right above the shops on Deck 7.

Worth it?

I would do it.  But, I do not like insides.

What ship?

• Like 1

I presumed these are either the Grand Class or Caribbean Class ships, even the Coral Class.  These are probably the best value cabins on these ships. They have the same size cabins as the regular oceanviews, but larger than the insides.  I always felt that the insides were a tad too small for my comfort.   

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Sunshine is nice, but just one reason to go the OV cabins. An OV cabin avoids being next to those white spaces on the deck plans.  Meaning next to a crew passageway, a janitorial supplies closet or that corridor that runs behind the inside cabins. Work goes on at night hours and the cleaning crew is up early too. 

Look up the Ruby's obstructed view cabin views in the free section on cruisedeckplans.com

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Worth it?

Is that $50 total per person or $50/person/night? 

If it's $50 total, that's a blazing hot deal...grab it!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Ruby Princess, coming back to Galveston this winter.

We booked all 10 cabins with the $1 deposit promo, right before midnight expiration...

Look at aft deck 8, cabins e630,e631,e632,e633,e701,e702,e703,e704.

they are all labeled and priced at interior/obstructed ocean views but there is no obstruction. You’re in between the life boats.

I picked e633 on crown (same layout as ruby) and it was an ocean view at an interior/obs ov price.

• Like 2

Wee would do it. Obstructed Oceanview became our go to cabin category for cruising on a budget but with some natural light. It also makes it quick and easy to check the weather and to see if you are docked, close or not close to being docked. frequently we found that Obstructed view cabins were only $100 per person or so more than inside while being far less than full Oceanview and possibly half the price of a balcony cabin.

We had more or less avaoided the 6 new Royal Class ships as they don’t have Oceanview cabins at all but just did our first cruise on one in May.

• Like 1

We've sailed in the OV cabins at least 10x on most Princess Grand class ships, I've become quite expert at choosing between lifeboats, but we've taken truly obstructed rooms on some occasions, the value proposition was just too good to ignore.  As I told DW, I'd rather sail twice with an OV than once with a balcony (that she won't use, even for a minute).

On the other hand, it has to be said that the "obstruction" in question is generally a lifeboat and that these become shore tenders in most ports where the ship has to anchor.  That means raising and lowering the boats, often very early and occasionally quite late, there's little doubt you'll hear some amount of noise both in the preparation and raising / lowering process - if this will bother you I'd steer clear.

With that caveat I'd reiterated, I'd take that upgrade.

• Like 2

Wow.  

Thanks for all the awesome advice above.

We looked at closer views the pics & cabin locations & looks like most of our 10 cabins are in between lifeboats, & for $50 per person ($100 for 2) for the entire 7 nights cruise over an inside, it's a no-brainer...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Wow.  

We looked at closer views the pics & cabin locations & looks like most of our 10 cabins are in between lifeboats, & for $50 per person ($100 for 2) for the entire 7 nights cruise over an inside, it's a no-brainer...

You'll be happy with that choice.  What a great price.  We were just in those cabins on the Ruby up in Alaska.  The location is so convenient to everything and not as noisy as some would suggest.  We chose the starboard side, as it is not above Crooners.  

Plenty of day light and we headed down one deck to sit out on the promenade.  As much as my DH loves when I book a balcony cabin for us, he survives quite well in these rooms.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Wow.  

Maybe you found cruisedeckplans dot com for an even much closer look.

We're Elite and had a balcony only twice.  Started out with inside cabins and found obstructed oceanview a good fit for us for many, many years.  Not having cruised since early 2020, next cruise... mini-suite! (Well, it was on sale! : )

• Like 1

Another thing is that the number of times we received free upgrades FROM an obstructed Oceanview cabin was remarkable! This is because there are less of this category cabin than most other categories. This pretty much came to an end for us around 2015/16 when they started selling upgrades. Sometimes we would see them using this category to fill cabins on ships by instantly assigning a higher category cabin the moment you booked one so that the price point remained available for those that searched it out to meet their price requirement.

• Like 1