Carnival Luminosa New Paint

JP350

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

As I expected, pie in the sky 🙂 

The air flow would be similar to this gym machine, when you push left down, the pressure is used to lift right. Depending on your condition, you set the resistance of the air flow. The more violent waves, the harder it should be for the air to go from left to right.  But your explanation makes sure it won't work anyway. 🙂

step.jpg

Not sure the tension knob works as described.

16 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

When I'm eating the food and enjoying the view, the color the lifeboats or what shape the funnel is simply don't matter....

The cruise industry's financial situation is still very shaky.  To think about spending money on frivolous eye candy is silly to even consider.

Hat's off to Carnival for being financially innovative and repurposing a mostly depreciated assed with several good years left, and not adding more long term debt like Royal, NCL, Virgin, MSC, and Disney are with those fancy new builds....

Royal has 3 ships on order, Carnival 2, Disney has 2, and Virgin 1, yet you say only Carnival is being fiscally responsible.

I would agree with your above statement if speaking about NCL or MSC even though MSC has very deep pockets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Royal has 3 ships on order, Carnival 2, Disney has 2, and Virgin 1, yet you say only Carnival is being fiscally responsible.

I would agree with your above statement if speaking about NCL or MSC even though MSC has very deep pockets.

That's the thing people don't realize is that MSC is a major shipping company, and the cruise aspect is a sub part of their Business. Because of the shipping side they are a much bigger company and have a lot more capital than the rest of the cruise lines.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:11 AM, CruiseAdict218 said:

Luminosa is staying with Carnival and is not joining the joint brand, whereas Costa Venezia/Firenze are and will be keeping their Costa names. 

She will look just fine compared to Miracle and Splendor. 

They said from the start it wasn’t going to be a full conversion, if her interiors look great then there should be no complaints. 

While they have nothing on the books for the Carnival brand, they have stuff on the books for Princess, P&O, Seabourn, etc, they have more brands to look after where as the competition only has 3-4 brands. 

Bottom line, if they can save time of her being out of service with a wet dock vs. a dry dock they will take it. It also makes sense why they are taking Luminosa over Magica which is more older and probably more out dated and would need an more lengthy and costly dry dock conversion. 

She will probably receive some Fun 2.0 upgrades but not all of them and we don’t know the full details just yet, still have 2 months to go. 

The have something on the books for Princess (2), P&O (1), Seabourn (1) You have to remember that all of these orders were either placed or exercised before covid. My point being that RCCL MSC Disney have all either excersied options on previous orders or in MSC's case placed a new order. And NCL has 4 more ships on order for the Prima Class not including Prima and Viva. (6 total). And the way it's looking now that Carnival might sell Seabourn and its orders.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

You said the same thing on your Instagram page, which is JWaltcruises. Their brand is tanking fast? Please tell us how you came to this conclusion. Also what would you have done in this short amount of time to make sure the ship is 100% CCL branding. 

I am not Jwaltcruises I was the one on insta that commented the thing about the brand. I would suggest leaving the ship with costa until her 15 year dry dock and conditions in the industry improve. Then the should outfit the ship with a whale tale, funship 2.0 upgrades, and the new hull paint. I don't see any logical reason to spend the money now to transfer the ship and then spend more money in 2 years for the 15 year drydock, with all the staffing shortages plagueing the cruise lines right now.  

On 7/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

It boggles my mind how people are concerned about such things as lifeboat colors and then doesn't even understand its not paint.

I understand it's not paint. When I was in france we took a tour of the Chantiers de L'Atlantique ship yard and they explained that when we walked by the Wonder of the Seas lifeboats they explained that it was a gel mixed with paint pigments to get the color, so the paint won't fade or impact the visibility of the lifeboats in an emergency.

44 minutes ago, JP350 said:

That's the thing people don't realize is that MSC is a major shipping company, and the cruise aspect is a sub part of their Busess. Because of the shipping side they are a much bigger company and have a lot more capital than the rest of the cruise lines.

MSC is privately held so no financial statements to make public or stockholders to pacify. To say MSC is a major shipping company is an understatement. I believe they are second largest and cruising is not their forte. 

How many times did IBM market PCs only to fail miserably?

On 7/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, kdr69 said:

Define constantly?  Carnival just brought out the Mardi Gras, has the Celebration coming in November and the Jubilee for next year.  I would say thats pretty constant at 1 a year.  Carnival Corporation also has to bring out new ships for the other brands they cant always be Carnival Cruise Line ships.  They have 1 new one coming for P&O this year 1 for Princess in 2023 and 2025 and 1 for Cunard in 2024.  MSC seems to be the line thats building the most over the next couple years but they dont have many ships to begin with so its nice to see them expanding.

Carnival Cruise Line has the Celebration and Jubilee for the next 2 years the Corperation has the ships for the other brands lasting until 2025 for Princess. NCL has ships lasting yearly until 2027 six new ships. Royal's Icon Class and Utopia will last them until at least 2026 if they bring out one per year. MSC is a large corperation way larger than any of the cruise lines, and they have way deeper pockets to bring out cruise ships.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:07 PM, pc_load_letter said:

Are you joking? How about this....open up your favorite browser, go to google.com and type in "Rust on Royal Caribbean ship"....

And tell me what you see when you select "Images" from the top. *HINT...RUST* 

RCCL ships do have rust, but on just about every RCCL cruise I've been on I've heard them grinding away the rust that they have on the ship. And you can't miss them grinding its loud as ... but overall the rccl ships have less rust and the crew is fighting it constantly as you have to do if your on salt water.

So anyway, the announcement about this ship’s branding says it will be “Costa by Carnival.” So I never expected it to look exactly like a regular Carnival ship because that’s not what they’re calling it.

I also didn’t expect it to remain exactly like a Costa ship for the same reason. I expected sort of a hybrid look, kinda exactly like what it actually looks like.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:33 PM, kelkel2 said:

I’m just reading this and laughing. 
I think Carnival is making smart business decisions. I cannot even fathom how much money it would cost to change the “paint’ color on the lifeboats and to add a whale shaped funnel. I get it, that’s carnival’s brand. But after over a year of shut down, I am sure they are still working on turning a profit. If they’re going to spend money it needs to be something that would enhance the customer’s experience, not changing the color of a lifeboat that God willing we will never use. 

As far as Carnival’s image slipping, I just don’t think I can jump to that conclusion from what they did or didn’t do to the Luminosa. Yes, they seem to want to keep it as part of the Carnival brand, but we really don’t know in the long run what they are planning. What if 4-5 years they plan on giving it back if the cruise industry changes and no one cares about Covid around the world anymore? There’s just so many unknowns. As far as rust goes, ships are made from metal, then they’re put into salt water. So there’s always going to be rust, always. I’m sure it takes constant work and maintenance to keep it under control and painted freshly. And remember that staffing issue? Oh and the global supply chain issues? I’m sure both of those are contributing to the rust and the broken glass on the Pride. You cannot repair the glass if you don’t have it to replace. I’m not defending it, but I am trying to be realistic. 

I personally think that if they wanted the ship to be flexible they should've done costa by carnival in Australasia they would've never known the difference because they have nothing to compare it to, and it would provide that new marketing edge for a new line experience in Alaska.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:42 PM, tidecat said:

At least since Carnival isn't doing major surgery on the funnel, maybe the Funship 2.0 food concepts will be the primary focus. The following shouldn't be much more than changing the signs and reprinting the menus:

Pizzeria > Pizzeria del Capitano

Club Luminosa > Fahrenheit 555

Buffet Andromeda > Lido Marketplace

Virgo Bar > Alchemy Bar

Cafeteria Sirius > JavaBlue Cafe

Samsara Restaurant could go in multiple directions-it was designed for those staying in spa cabins-but I would think it would likely become Cucina del Capitano.

The main pool area will need a little more attention as it has the pre-Funship 2.0 grill in the middle. At the very least it should be Guy's Burger Joint, even if they can't split it into two venues. No telling if the second would be Masala Tiger, Blue Iguana Cantina, or even Big Chicken. It also looks like both bars (Red Frog Rum and Blue Iguana Tequila) would need to be built on the Lido deck.

The spa and piano bar should just be re-badge jobs.

I could see Carnival using the Discoteca Altair as the stand-in for the Limelight Lounge since it could be used for all but the late-night comedy shows before transitioning into a nightclub. It is a two-deck venue, so it may not be feasible to split it vertically right now. The theater would ikely not be rebranded as the Liquid Lounge.

The chapel will likely become a Skybox sports bar. Heroes Tribute Lounge wouldn't make sense given the ship will split time with the Australian market.

This is a great analysis on what needs to be done. it seems like that could do it all in a 4 to 6 week dry dock. They could even fix all of the funship 2.0 upgrades in a wetdock if they wanted to go that option, but other than the pool deck some new paint signage, and other minor things they wouldn't have to do much altering of venues to make the ship into a carnival ship. All of which wouldn't be a sub 100 million dollar makeover. Sure if they wanted to spend more the could go the carnival sunshine sunrise radiance route, but as this ship is newish i really don't think that these are necessary. 

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Not sure the tension knob works as described.

I had a much more simple machine that did work like I described, but maybe this thing doesn't. I didn't mean to discuss the fine details of fitness machines. To explain what I mean by "air flow", this is a good picture.

Edited by AmazedByCruising

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

MSC is privately held so no financial statements to make public or stockholders to pacify. To say MSC is a major shipping company is an understatement. I believe they are second largest and cruising is not their forte. 

How many times did IBM market PCs only to fail miserably?

Is MSC not the biggest I can never remember who's 1st between them and Maersk , but I though that I remembered reading somewhere that they had passed them. The IBM reference perfect I hate to say it but with companies rapid expansion into markets that are relatively unfamiliar to them it doesn't end well 

28 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

So anyway, the announcement about this ship’s branding says it will be “Costa by Carnival.” So I never expected it to look exactly like a regular Carnival ship because that’s not what they’re calling it.

I also didn’t expect it to remain exactly like a Costa ship for the same reason. I expected sort of a hybrid look, kinda exactly like what it actually looks like.

On the Carnival website it say's "provided to us by costa cruises" and John Hield said that this was a permanent change, but the costa by carnival ships will keep their costa colors, but sail with a carnival crew. Bad wording I know.

2 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Moving ships you already own into the primary brand is more responsible than buying new. 

As a % of total fleet growth, Carnivals two new builds won't impact debt as much as Disney's two or Virgin's one. 

Virgin will have has doubled their fleet 2021 to 2023.  Disney will either have grown by 40% or replaced 40% of their fleet if they retire the 20+ year old Magic and Wonder).

Carnival adding two hulls is only 7% growth for the main brand.  I won't bother going subsidiary by subsidiary but between retirements and new hulls, they still look to be flat to single digit growth. If needed to stabilize the balance sheet, they could always sell or consolidate a brand or two...

2 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Moving ships you already own into the primary brand is more responsible than buying new. 

As a % of total fleet growth, Carnivals two new builds won't impact debt as much as Disney's two or Virgin's one. 

Virgin will have has doubled their fleet 2021 to 2023.  Disney will either have grown by 40% or replaced 40% of their fleet if they retire the 20+ year old Magic and Wonder).

Carnival adding two hulls is only 7% growth for the main brand.  I won't bother going subsidiary by subsidiary but between retirements and new hulls, they still look to be flat to single digit growth. If needed to stabilize the balance sheet, they could always sell or consolidate a brand or two...

Virgin I agree with they are taking on to much debt, and their bookings aren't baking up their bisnuess model. I've read on some virgin forums that the ship has never been over 65% capacity and that was for Richard Branson's birthday cruise. Disney however isn't taking any debt for their ships as they are paying cash and are rumored to have some stock in the deal. Carnival Royal and them are taking on debt to bring their new builds on, and that might be fine in the short term especially for Royal, but Carnival has more debt than royal and ncl do, and we know how debt comes back to bite companies looking for short term profit. 

15 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Is MSC not the biggest I can never remember who's 1st between them and Maersk , but I though that I remembered reading somewhere that they had passed them. The IBM reference perfect I hate to say it but with companies rapid expansion into markets that are relatively unfamiliar to them it doesn't end well 

According to here, P. Moller–Maersk is top, but I suppose it could switch back and forth.

https://www.ship-technology.com/analysis/the-ten-biggest-shipping-companies-in-2020/

2 hours ago, JP350 said:

I see you have spoken to Nostradamus

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

there is some whale tail discussion in this post:

To each there own. Looks like a nice cruise ship. The red stripe sets it off, the smoke stack looks good. The life boats look good also.  Why do you say horrendous?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

To each there own. Looks like a nice cruise ship. The red stripe sets it off, the smoke stack looks good. The life boats look good also.  Why do you say horrendous?

People like to create fake drama on the internet.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Red Stripe is always good, mon.

1b6f7fda-2185-4ce7-97e4-b03d613f6645.24d

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Luminosa basically gives us three generations of Carnival livery: the pre-1982 stovepipe funnel, the original livery from the Spirit class (the red riband and block lettering at the bow), and the whale tale logo on the hull from the current (2020-present) livery.

The lifeboats are still yellow, but out of Carnival Corp's mainstream lines (P&O, P&O AU, Costa, AIDA, and Carnival), yellow is surprisingly competitive.

• Like 1