Considering transatlantic on Silver Seas

carolekv

Hi!  I am new to Silver Seas, but looking for a transatlantic option early next year and see one on Silver Seas.  I need help figuring out which suite type is most like the Sky Suites on Celebrity or Princess on Cunard, which are my experience up to now.  I love the premium dining and beverages as well as good suite service, although not sure I need a butler.  Don't need a huge suite but something equivalent to Sky Suite.  It would be for me and my husband, 60+.  Definitely need a balcony.  I did also like the fact that Edge had suite access only to the pool and pool bar - I just don't like large groups or loudspeaker games and such.  I do love people though and always enjoy chatting with others out and about.  Don't need to bond forever, but do like socializing.  Thanks for any tips!!! 

Welcome. BTW most people on here don’t use Celebrity or Cunard so you need to explain a bit more and FYI it’s Silversea.

The only difference in suites on SS is size, apart from those classic ships that have a Vista or Panorama without a balcony, all get a Butler and apart from a guaranteed spot in La Dame etc there are really no privileges from the top suite to the bottom.

• Like 4

I sailed with Celebrity for nearly 15 years. Started with Silversea in 2017 and have never looked back. I never sailed Edge Class but can tell you there is no issue on SS with who has access to the Pool Bar. There are no pool games. The regular suites average about 350 Sq feet with balconies.

They do offer larger ones, Silver suite, Owners Suite, etc offer living room/dining room, etc.

The largest ship holds 600 so much, much smaller than X. In my opinion, it is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 3

Thank you both so much.  This does answer my questions. I am really excited to give this cruise line a try! I love suite class on other ships, but don't need a huge suite.  We tend to stay clear of the bigger ship venues or crowds, occasionally disembark to walk around, but love the finer bars and pubs and dining options on a ship.  We use the gym daily, pool and hot tubs as weather permits but not when crowded, and spa usually once.  Just like the quieter more upscale experience and it sounds as if this is it!  

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that a TA on a smaller SS ship may have more instability, (if you have any issue with sea-sickness) compared with X and Princess you have been on.  Going on one of the larger and more modern SS ships (Moon, Muse, Dawn),  with roughly 600 pax and the latest tech, instead of 400 pax and the older tech on the smaller ones, might be preferable IF sea-sickness  could be an issue.

.  You would also have more dining  venues on the "larger" (though still small) ships.

On Edge, I absolutely loved that the bed in the Sky Suite faced the window/sliding door.  On SS, unless you are in one of the larger suites (and not even always then), the bed is sideways to the window, and further away from it as well,  if that matters to you.  

The eating table in the base SS veranda suites is also smaller than in the X Sky Suite (if that matters, e.g., you do a lot of room service), fine for 1 person, borderline for food for 2 (especially with all the plate covers and elaborate dishware)

I really liked the Edge having so many loungers that faced out towards the ocean, which should be ideal for sea days, , but did not like that overhead pop music blasted at all hours even if there was no party (which interfered with the sound of the sea), so I would flee to my suite and sit on the balcony.  SS does not blast pop music everywhere, so therre is less need to retreat to a large suite for peace and quiet. It is truly peaceful and calming, a great part of TA appeal.  

Be aware that the internet on X (at least on Edge class) is superior to that on SS, even the modern SS ships.  So be sure and pre-download any books or movies you will want to read/see on your TA, as the on-board pickings are slim.  

If you are cruising solo, SS caters to solos beautifully, and usually sets up gatherings and dinners, ideal for people who love to socialize. 

Have a great voyage whichever ship you decide on!

Edited by Catlover54
Typo

I did a transatlantic on Cunard (QM2) three years ago.  Stayed in a Queens Grill Suite, it was lovely and well-appointed.  Larger than the Princess Grill suites.  The Princess Grill suites that you've stayed on seem very similar to a Veranda suite of Silversea.  And those do have balconies. 

As mentioned, butlers are included in all suites on Silversea.

As far as loudspeaker games, I've never seen anything like that on Silversea.  The closest thing I saw to that was a putting game that they did on the 5th deck one day.  But you won't hear loudspeakers, or hourly announcements, or anything like that.

As far as crowds, the last Silversea cruise I did was nearly completely booked, and all I could think as I was on the ship was "Where is everybody?  Is there something going on I'm not aware of?"  There are people onboard, of course, but there's almost never a crowd.  The main dining room was half full (the specialty restaurants that require reservations were all booked up), the bars and lounges were 1/3 full or even sometimes almost empty, and there was never a line or crowd for anything.

Heck, when I went on the Silver Origin in the Galapagos last September (66% of passenger capacity), it felt like I was on a private yacht.

You will have opportunities to meet people, but you will certainly never feel overcrowded.

If you are looking for a transatlantic, have you considered the Queen Mary 2?  It's much larger, but being in the Grills class has its advantages, and it's a much larger ship (with lots of venues and activities) to be on for 5 days without seeing land.

18 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I did a transatlantic on Cunard (QM2) three years ago.  Stayed in a Queens Grill Suite, it was lovely and well-appointed.  Larger than the Princess Grill suites.  The Princess Grill suites that you've stayed on seem very similar to a Veranda suite of Silversea.  And those do have balconies. 

As mentioned, butlers are included in all suites on Silversea.

As far as loudspeaker games, I've never seen anything like that on Silversea.  The closest thing I saw to that was a putting game that they did on the 5th deck one day.  But you won't hear loudspeakers, or hourly announcements, or anything like that.

As far as crowds, the last Silversea cruise I did was nearly completely booked, and all I could think as I was on the ship was "Where is everybody?  Is there something going on I'm not aware of?"  There are people onboard, of course, but there's almost never a crowd.  The main dining room was half full (the specialty restaurants that require reservations were all booked up), the bars and lounges were 1/3 full or even sometimes almost empty, and there was never a line or crowd for anything.

Heck, when I went on the Silver Origin in the Galapagos last September (66% of passenger capacity), it felt like I was on a private yacht.

You will have opportunities to meet people, but you will certainly never feel overcrowded.

If you are looking for a transatlantic, have you considered the Queen Mary 2?  It's much larger, but being in the Grills class has its advantages, and it's a much larger ship (with lots of venues and activities) to be on for 5 days without seeing land.

Yes, I am also open to other luxury lines with TA options.  Queen Mary also would be a choice I’d highly consider.  I just happened to find a TA for next year that interested me.  I don’t want to be gone for more than 14 days because we have a little old doggy at home and I won’t board her that long.  

• Like 1

We did a crossing on Silver Spirit several years ago. It was perfect. My partner was seasick one night but I was fine. I found the movement was just the same as on a bigger ship in fact, the dining rooms were better because they were lower in the ship. There is as much to do as you choose and no loud pool games etc. Loved it.

2 hours ago, carolekv said:

Yes, I am also open to other luxury lines with TA options.  Queen Mary also would be a choice I’d highly consider.  I just happened to find a TA for next year that interested me.  I don’t want to be gone for more than 14 days because we have a little old doggy at home and I won’t board her that long.  

The Queen Mary 2 allows you to bring and kennel your dog for the crossing.  They even have their own little deck at the top of the ship for their walks, where you can take her for a stroll.  Deck 12

Edited by Rothko1

…just to say that those kennel spots sell out 2 years in advance, and the facility of only for transatlantic crossings. So get a-plannin’ if Fifi is planning to accompany you!

Happy and healthy sailing!

1 hour ago, carolekv said:

About to book a Veranda Suite - Deluxe.  Which is better, deck 7 or 8?   Any specific suite locations that are best?  There is decent availability right now.  

I go low and as midships as possible to minimise movement in rough seas, always a possibility crossing the pond. 

We have done seven crossings on Silversea ships (e.g., Spirit, Wind, Cloud) concur with others mid ship lower is best.  We also use the gym daily (early a.m., and pm) and swim when the pool opens and after 6pm.  You will enjoy a Silversea crossing.