Luggage transport companies

gilliansp

Because of airport chaos worldwide, and especialy in London, I am considering using a luggage transport company to make sure our luggage arrives at our final destination. I am worried that with 2 flight changes, possible delays etc our luggae will get lost in transit. Anyone used any reliable luggage transport companies from Europe to US?

I used sendmybags.com but from the USA to the UK.  They were great and not too much.  Not cheap but they're aimed at university students so they were a bit less.

Bag left my home a little over a week before I did and got to my London hotel with no issues.  I got tracking updates every time the bag moved and at every step of the way.  I'd use them again and probably will next spring. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, megr1125 said:

I used sendmybags.com but from the USA to the UK.  They were great and not too much.  Not cheap but they're aimed at university students so they were a bit less.

Bag left my home a little over a week before I did and got to my London hotel with no issues.  I got tracking updates every time the bag moved and at every step of the way.  I'd use them again and probably will next spring. 

Sounds good! Will check it out. Thank you!

• Like 1

I have used LuggageFree and was very satisfied.  It was nice NOT to have to drag big suitcases around airports and try to fit them into tiny European taxis.  Also, was wonderful to have them in our stateroom when we got to the ship on embarkation day.

2 hours ago, Sny said:

It was nice NOT to have to drag big suitcases around airports and try to fit them into tiny European taxis. 

At AMS, my traveling companion and I had 3 pieces of checked luggage and two carry-ons.  The Porter who was helping us took us to the taxi line where the taxi driver insisted he couldn't get all of the luggage and us in his cab.  The Porter "pushed" back against his claim and--lo and behold--everything fit.  Having arrived with wet luggage (thank you very much Delta's ATL ground crew for leaving the bags exposed to rain) and the encounter with the taxi driver, it was not a great "first few hours" in Amsterdam.  But, once we got to the hotel, and the rest of the day and evening, it was good, memorable first day.  

On 7/9/2022 at 7:55 PM, llhillman said:

We were just talking about doing this today. Also transiting through London from the US and onto Italy.

We have friends who have used both. We are shipping items to the hotel we are staying at in Rome before starting our cruise.

https://www.luggagefree.com/ and https://www.shipgo.com/

Definitely going to use this service this year. We have 2 changeovers on our London-Alaska flight and if all the news re airports is to be believed it is impossible our luggage will make it!

To ship one 50 pound bag from Dulles Airport to Heathrow cost $244.99.  Most checked bags make it to their destination just fine.  It is not "impossible" that your checked luggage will make it.  You can put covers on your bags to protect them from getting wet, if the ground crew can't retrieve them, such as during a lightening storm.  Those probably cost a lot less than $244, but to each his own.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, gilliansp said:

Because of airport chaos worldwide, and especialy in London, I am considering using a luggage transport company to make sure our luggage arrives at our final destination. I am worried that with 2 flight changes, possible delays etc our luggae will get lost in transit. Anyone used any reliable luggage transport companies from Europe to US?

i JUST DID IT🙂...oops sorry for the caps...........I was in Barcelona and shipped my checked bag home via "LUGGAGE FORWARD"........the process was quite smooth and to be honest, I decided on the ship due to some unforseen circumstances..........I am now able to follow along to track it and looks like it will be here between Wed and Friday this week.  (I got home from my trip late Friday night).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

i JUST DID IT🙂...oops sorry for the caps...........I was in Barcelona and shipped my checked bag home via "LUGGAGE FORWARD"........the process was quite smooth and to be honest, I decided on the ship due to some unforseen circumstances..........I am now able to follow along to track it and looks like it will be here between Wed and Friday this week.  (I got home from my trip late Friday night).

This is  the year to try out these companies! Just hope our luggage arrives in Anchorage at the same time as us!

I think I paid around $130 for a medium size bag, up to ~60 lbs I think.  It went from NJ to London.  I was in Dublin a few days and didn't need my huge bag.  The older I get, the more I'm willing to spend a bit more money to make my life easier.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, megr1125 said:

I think I paid around $130 for a medium size bag, up to ~60 lbs I think.  It went from NJ to London.  I was in Dublin a few days and didn't need my huge bag.  The older I get, the more I'm willing to spend a bit more money to make my life easier.  

Yes, a similar quote to the one I have and i personally feel its money well spent for peace of mind. After waiting so long to be able to travel again we just want to fully enjoy our holiday without any unnecessary worries.

Just got my luggage........came even quicker than expected!👍.  I paid way more than 130.00 but it was worth every single penny!!!!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Just got my luggage........came even quicker than expected!👍.  I paid way more than 130.00 but it was worth every single penny!!!!!!

More convinced than ever that its the only way to travel with luggage at the moment!

7 minutes ago, Tooncamp said:

Anyone tried this luggage service to their hotel pre cruise? I’m wondering what happens if my luggage gets there a day before we arrive? 

This is what I am going to do. Just waiting for confirmation from the hotel then I will book.

16 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

I wonder how your luggage is transported when you ship it this way?  By plane perhaps?

Hi, yes,  there are multiple freight companies that are used........mine was DHL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I wonder how your luggage is transported when you ship it this way?  By plane perhaps?

It's been a few years since I used a luggage service prior to my world cruise which departed from Port Everglades.  At that time, the bags were transported to Fort Lauderdale by truck, arriving several days before the cruise, and were stored in a warehouse.  (I had some tracking information so that I could keep track of where they were.)  Returning home, the previous company had gone out of business during the cruise and HAL had to contract with a different company.  DHL was that company, but, I don't know if they were trucked or not.  My guess is that they were put on a DHL plane because, at that time, DHL used a cargo only airfield near where I lived and the bags arrived within just a couple of days after I got home.  

I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT utilize a company called "Luggage Forward." I have just had a horrible experience with this particular company.... I returned yesterday (July 12th) from a 7-day cruise to Bermuda on Oceania Cruises Insignia which departed July 5th from NYC.  Oceania Cruises actually recommended the company Luggage Forward as an option to make traveling easier. I live approximately 88 miles west from the Manhattan pier where the cruise ship was departing and had planned a 2 day pre-cruise stay in Manhattan. Because Oceania Cruises recommended the company, I had my luggage shipped and was told it would be in my state room on arrival. I sincerely regret doing this. My suitcase was picked up on June 23rd from my residence in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. It never arrived at the pier and the ship departed without my luggage on board. After I boarded the ship on July 5th, I discovered my luggage was not in my stateroom and contacted Luggage Forward several times via telephone. I was repeatedly told that the luggage was on the ship, had been delivered to the pier and that the cruise line was just slow in delivering it to my stateroom. Fifteen minutes after the ship departed the pier, I received a telephone call informing me that my luggage had been located in some warehouse in Brooklyn. The Luggage Forward representative asked me what time the ship was scheduled to depart. I told the woman that the ship had already departed and was  assured the luggage would be sent onward to Bermuda where we would be docked for 4 days. I was assured the luggage would be forwarded there. It never was!  The day after the ship departed NYC, my husband telephoned the company from the ship and was told it was suddenly impossible for the suitcase to be forwarded to Bermuda. My only saving grace was that I had a small carry-on with clothes that I had worn in New York City; unfortunately no cruise attire. We were informed by Luggage Forward that we would receive double the money paid. The cost for the service one way was $124. It is impossible to buy an entire cruise wardrobe for $248!  Shame on me for trusting this company and the cruise line; lesson learned for sure.  Luggage Forward put the blame on the third party (Go Express) they outsourced. I hired Luggage Forward and put the blame directly on them. I know others have had luck with this compan,  but I caution anyone else who is considering using this company. I am mostly surprised at the lack of professionalism as well as basic civility from this company. As of this day, I have not received a single email from the company regarding this matter; nor have I received a phone call directly from them. All communication regarding this matter has been initiated by myself or my husband. After returning back to NYC from Bermuda yesterday,  I called the company. I was told the luggage would be delivered by July 18 which was 6 days away. That is insane considering that I live just 88 miles from New York City!!! My apologies for such long winded, but appreciate the chance to vent and warn others.

• Like 2

My experience with them turned out perfectly. Looks like we had 2 different experiences. Sorry about what happened but in my case I would definitely use them again. They picked up my bag from the port in Barcelona on Friday, July 8th and it got delivered to me here at home in Florida yesterday.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Margaritabears said:

Luggage Forward put the blame on the third party (Go Express) they outsourced.

This may be the difference you experienced as compared to Lois R.  But, that's not a satisfactory excuse for a company to use.  If Go Express is to blame, then Luggage Forward needs to do some "cracking of their whip" on that company.