Recent Experience Embarking Silversea at Greenwich

azjoy

Has anyone recently boarded a Silversea ship in Greenwich?  I'm looking for info on where to direct the taxi.  We're 2 1/2 weeks out with nothing from Silversea. 

Our TA seemed puzzled by my concern - "just go the the cruise terminal" - she doesn't realize there isn't a terminal at Greenwich, just the ferry dock.  She just got back from vacation and has promised to research it but since she also has to ask them about a Silversea arranged flight that was cancelled, I'm not expecting  anything in the next 2 weeks.  

On a previous cruise with a different cruise line, we stayed in Greenwich overnight and walked over to find out where to direct the cab to drop the luggage.   That is not an option this time, we'll be staying much farther away.

FYI - we have SS air but we deviated to arrive early so we can't use the SS transfer.

We'd appreciate hearing about anyone's recent experience with Silversea at Greenwich.  

Thanks

Sorry I can’t answer about recently, but in the past SS check in was said to be in a pop up tent somewhere close to the ferry pier and the Cutty Sark. I did see a photo and it looked quite obvious. The ship is actually moored to a pontoon in the river, you embark by tender, presumably from the ferry pier. 
I was meant to be boarding my cruise there (in 2019 I think) but the night before boarding I was emailed to be told it was at Tilbury, so I have no first hand information. 

PS SS are sending docs out at 15 days now, I just got mine for an upcoming cruise exactly on 15 days. So don’t worry too much if you’re at two and a half weeks, they should come any day soon. Your docs will come to your TA, not directly to you. 

PPS There was going to be a cruise terminal built at Greenwich but the money and permits didn’t happen. 

Edited by jollyjones

We disembarked Viking Sun in Greenwich, but retracing our steps in reverse you should expect something like this:

•  have the taxi drop you at the Starbucks, which is about as close as they can get to the port.

•  look for a large tent/marquee where they will take your luggage (and check you in?)

•  the port tender will take you to the floating dock where the ship is tied up

After that all is normal.

@HostJazzbeau - Thanks for the Starbucks tip.  I'm trying to minimize the distance we have to roll the luggage (since this is Silversea, there'll be one more case than normal for the dressy clothes.)

@jollyjones - Thanks, especially for the news about the docs.  We departed Greenwich in September, 2018 on a different cruise with a slightly different set up.  The taxi dropped us and the luggage on a side street where the baggage handlers were waiting.  They took the luggage out of the taxi and we walked over to the ferry dock to take the tender.  

Between the extra case and the fact that we're 4 years older, this has become more important to us.   Thanks for helping! 

On the morning of embarkation, look the ship up on Marine Traffic and you will see exactly where to direct the taxi. This is especially useful if the berth changes after you receive your cruise documents. 

You can use the Marine Traffic app or the web version. 

15 days out for documents!  On our last SS cruise SS UK never sent us anything! 

Not even boarding times !!!

We arrived at a guestimated time and joined the queue ... then they delayed all testing for an hour and left everyone standing outside. No explanations, no cover, no seating, no apology.

Parties and Breweries spring to mind.

I wouldn't trust them again ...

Good luck!

From memory, the tent that JJ advised is located where I've marked with a yellow dot, so the suggestion of Starbucks is a very good one.

It's a shame that you would struggle with your luggage or I would have recommended arriving on the river boats now run by Uber.

To board, you would go from the tent and down the ramp to the pier. I've marked with red dots where you'd need to go. From there you clear customs and security and take the taxi boat to where Spirit will be berthed about 150 yards from the red dots.

I've also posted a YT video I did that should clear up those details, plus a good look around Silver Spirit too. Hopefully fills in some blanks.

1292092370_IMG_20220709_1917443.thumb.jpg.42247bd8a8ba6ec3b1c8c63ed617f578.jpg

Wind the video forward to 3 minutes to cancel the transfer to Greenwich.

Thanks for the info.  

As I mentioned above, my concern is not getting ourselves to the ferry pier, but getting the luggage into Silversea's care without too much rolling on our part.  When Azamara embarked from Greenwich, the cruise folks were set up on a side street, convenient for the taxis.  We didn't have to touch the luggage.  They also had staff standing all along the way from the luggage dropoff to the pier.  (I think they were only steps apart).  We didn't need them since we spent the morning there, taking tours in the area.  Unfortunately, that's not an option this time.   

All of this just reminded me of the last 2 times we were on Silversea.  Those cruises both ended at Tower Bridge, moored to the HMS Belfast.  There was a ferry across the river to Tower Pier and both times Silversea managed to misplace one bag.  It turned out OK but we didn't need the stress.

I appreciate everyone's responses.  We'll have to work this one out the day of the cruise.  I'm working on some contingency plans, hopefully the email at 15 days will contain some contact info in London. 

Thanks!

On our last Silversea sailing from Greenwich ( Pre Covid ) the Luggage Van was situated in the side Road opposite Starbucks. Our Car pulled up and the Men unloaded and placed all but Carry Ons onto the Van. We then strolled past Cutty Sark to the Jetty to board the Transfer Ferry to Silver Spirit. There was no Tent and all Formalities were carried out Onboard. It was very calm & easy.

I hope this helps and wish you a wonderful Cruise.

5 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

On our last Silversea sailing from Greenwich ( Pre Covid ) the Luggage Van was situated in the side Road opposite Starbucks. Our Car pulled up and the Men unloaded and placed all but Carry Ons onto the Van. We then strolled past Cutty Sark to the Jetty to board the Transfer Ferry to Silver Spirit. There was no Tent and all Formalities were carried out Onboard. It was very calm & easy.

I hope this helps and wish you a wonderful Cruise.

THANK YOU!!  This definitely eases my mind!