Tipping in cash…how much to bring..

Kate-in-Canada

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I always bring plenty of cash, usually more than I know I will need, but better to be prepared further if needed.  Also, I have seen quite a few here suggest that OBC can be assigned to the cabin attendant and/or butler, which I really think is a great thing.  Do you know for sure though that it does go directly to him or her?  Do you mention to them that you did this so they are aware that it will be in an upcoming paycheck (where I assume it will be reflected) or is a copy provided from GS that you can hand to him/her?  

Yes, I let them know the amount to expect to see in their next paycheck in my thank you note to them.  Jim_Iain has previously posted that he verified all this with the HR officer.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RichYak said:

By the way, if you ever run into me in a dark alley, I'm going to suggest we find a nearby bar to have a few drinks and talk about something more important, like how to make a proper Manhattan.

That’s nice of you to say that.  I’ll have to check with my PTSD therapist first, after all the attacks on the other thread.

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I always bring plenty of cash, usually more than I know I will need, but better to be prepared further if needed.  Also, I have seen quite a few here suggest that OBC can be assigned to the cabin attendant and/or butler, which I really think is a great thing.  Do you know for sure though that it does go directly to him or her?  Do you mention to them that you did this so they are aware that it will be in an upcoming paycheck (where I assume it will be reflected) or is a copy provided from GS that you can hand to him/her?  

Not in this thread, but in the past folks have posted they did this and were thanked by their waiter/butler/cabin attendant as soon as the next day. It would appear the system notifies them, and quickly. Not the case if you do it the last night, but you're doing it to thank them, not to be thanked for tipping them...

Interestingly, the form allows you to designate an individual by name. That may be the only way to be sure your additional gratuity goes to that individual. I just assume cash is pooled like it would be on land.

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The Maitre d' on Summit in the spring told me he was included in the Luminae tip pool.  The sommelier is not included in the tip pool, and should be tipped separately.

That's interesting. I'd assume they'd share in the pool for the drink tab. And probably have to share in the pool for the drink tab...

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not in this thread, but in the past folks have posted they did this and were thanked by their waiter/butler/cabin attendant as soon as the next day. It would appear the system notifies them, and quickly. Not the case if you do it the last night, but you're doing it to thank them, not to be thanked for tipping them...

Not the case if you do it the last night, but you're doing it to thank them, not to be thanked for tipping them...Thank you for this.  I am not looking to be thanked for tipping them, I do it because I want to recognize great service, but I wanted to be sure they would be made aware, otherwise I would let them know that I did this, would not say the amount but I would want them to be aware it has been done on their behalf.  I tip generously throughout my cruise, to all that I mentioned, these folks work incredibly hard and I am glad to know that with extra OBC, that I know I will have leftover, I can put it to good use.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 2:15 PM, Mark_T said:

Totally optional, and just a suggestion, but it is one other small courtesy I do when tipping with USD, try to make sure the bills are clean, unmarked and undamaged.

When changing USD in some countries the exchange rate they get can be related to the quality and age of the bill.

The staff will happily take whatever you give them, but I always try to take the best bills I can get as it costs me nothing and it may help them.

Thanks for the reminder. I know when we pay cash in some Caribbean countries they are very careful to not accept worn, torn or missing corners. I will get fresh bills from the bank.

• Like 1

And if you tip with food from home,  make sure the food is within the expiration or "use by" date. 😀  However, on that famous fruit cake, I don't believe there is an expiration date. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The Maitre d' on Summit in the spring told me he was included in the Luminae tip pool.  The sommelier is not included in the tip pool, and should be tipped separately.

Oops. Got my memories mixed up. You're right. I think the solution for me is to quickly get on another cruise!

• Like 1

Just now, DirtyDawg said:

To my American cousins on this thread, do you guys have a $2 bill. With inflation these days, maybe it's time for me to ask for more of those at the bank vs. using so many singles. 

We do have the $2 bill, but it not very widely used at all.  No stores etc would have them to return in change of a bill and you need to ask for them from a bank.  I have heard though that on cruise ships, for some reason, they don't like them, I think it may be that when used at tips and for the crew they may be more difficult to use in a foreign country.

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

We do have the $2 bill, but it not very widely used at all.  No stores etc would have them to return in change of a bill and you need to ask for them from a bank.  I have heard though that on cruise ships, for some reason, they don't like them, I think it may be that when used at tips and for the crew they may be more difficult to use in a foreign country.

The first rule of the 2 dollar bill is that we don’t tell foreigners about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

@Kate-in-Canada This may have been mentioned and may be something you are aware of... have cash ready to tip porters for both embarkation and disembarkation at the pier/ cruise terminal.

MJ

I tip $5 a bag and my partner thinks I’m insane.  Because he thinks it’s too much.  I bet there are some here that tip $10?

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

To my American cousins on this thread, do you guys have a $2 bill. With inflation these days, maybe it's time for me to ask for more of those at the bank vs. using so many singles. 

We do, but they're so rarely seen or used that they're often mistaken as counterfeit by shops. I wouldn't use them for tips.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

The $2 bill occupies the same place in America as the $1 coin. Don't bother. If you're going to use cash, which I personally only use when I have no tab to add a tip to, give two singles instead of a $2 bill.

• Like 3

We typically bring at least $500 in small bills for both crew and excursions and tip according to the service we received. If there is any left over it goes back into our "Vacation Spending & Tip" USD Account.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

When tipping in Europe on board the ship, do you use euros or dollars? We have a Norway cruise next year so I’ll need Krone for land but not sure for ship.

Use whatever currency you like on the ship. In your case we would start with any left over Krone or Euros as that's much better than changing it back. Norway is practically cash free cards are accepted practically everywhere.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

I tip $5 a bag and my partner thinks I’m insane.  Because he thinks it’s too much.  I bet there are some here that tip $10?

On my last X cruise, I was dropping off a single little bag to the porter, that he had to walk about 100 feet, wheeling the suitcase. It was so simple, so i grabbed $2 to give for the tip. The porter looked down at it, didn't take it, and said "Have a good cruise" - clearly thinking it was too little.  So I guess $5 for the bag is what they expect.

My DH is a very generous tipper. As part owner of a restaurant before retirement, he realizes the sometimes difficult work of a waiter/waitress and keeps that in mind. He has tipped $5 a bag to a porter at the pier. He also is generous to Belen, hotel housekeepers etc.

@zitskyYou are not alone !

MJ🙋🏻

6 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

My DH is a very generous tipper. As part owner of a restaurant before retirement, he realizes the sometimes difficult work of a waiter/waitress and keeps that in mind. He has tipped $5 a bag to a porter at the pier. He also is generous to Belen, hotel housekeepers etc.

@zitskyYou are not alone !

MJ🙋🏻

In my experience, many of the pier luggage handlers tend to be rude.   They are lucky to get any amount from me.  So in fear of not getting my luggage on the ship, I tend to give $2 a bag.  However, if the bag is huge and heavy, that amount will increase.

WOW-- There are some pretty big tippers in the CC " community " !

Some are even on the AI and don't tip nobody on board -- because they ---- oh, forget it.

What we do is---- tip " whatever " to the Porter and wait until our bags are placed , oops, tossed onto a baggage cart---- then, head to the check in---- bypass the long line because WE graduated to Elite -- and then find ourselves in a longer line ( LOL ). 

( Off topic )--- A good " tip ".

An old " f--t " sitting beside us told me --- " As soon as they start boarding , never mind what group you are in, just go--- they never check "---- It worked .

Edited by Pinboy
spelling mistake

14 hours ago, the penguins said:

Use whatever currency you like on the ship. In your case we would start with any left over Krone or Euros as that's much better than changing it back. Norway is practically cash free cards are accepted practically everywhere.

Which raises the question - is Norway even a tipping culture? I know in restaurants just leaving a couple of krone for exceptional service is the norm, but what about tour guides, etc?