Thoughts on sailing 2 segments of AWC

Ski Mom 2

We have wanted to go to Australia and New Zealand for several years. If we weren't booked on Oceania's South America cruise in January 2023 we would have gone on Windstar's Australia and New Zealand cruises instead (we are fans of both Oceania and Windstar). Windstar has not released their 2024 cruises yet (except for a few but I'm hopeful they too might repeat those same cruises in 2024) so for now, I'm looking at other options for January/February 2024 for Australia and New Zealand.

I see Insignia will be sailing on her AWC and has 2 cruises in February 2024 that go exactly where I'd like to go: Jewels of New Zealand and Australia's Embrace.

My questions are: What are your thoughts on being onboard the AWC but not being a part of the AWC? How many of the cabins are typically filled for the AWC? 25%? 50%? 75% Many cabins already say "waitlisted" and I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this yet. Is it awkward being on board but not being a part of the AWC? We make friends easily but just wonder if it's hard not being part of the AWC and all the activities that go along with being on the AWC.

Thanks for any insights!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

JMO

If you want to sail on the itinerary  that works for you  & you can get  a cabin go for it

It is early in the ATW  cruise  so maybe it will not be as cliquey  as near the end of the cruise

I am sure they will welcome you  anyway

It is hard to say how many cabins will be part of the ATW group but I suspect  the higher end of the scale since  they seem to be more popular  now

• Thanks 1

I agree with LHT28.  If you like the itinerary, and can find a stateroom that works for you, then book it asap.  We have sailed multiple segments on two ATW cruises.  Yes, one or two guests had an "attitude" and already had "their" tables; while MOST guests were very friendly and affable.

Whatever negative encounters we may have had, it has NOT put us off booking future ATW segments.  In fact, we have already booked the same itinerary you mention, because it exactly fits our wants, too.  We will be doing LA-to-Tokyo, the first four segments of the 2024 ATW.

I hope you decide to book, and that we will see you onboard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

I agree with LHT28.  If you like the itinerary, and can find a stateroom that works for you, then book it asap.  We have sailed multiple segments on two ATW cruises.  Yes, one or two guests had an "attitude" and already had "their" tables; while MOST guests were very friendly and affable.

Whatever negative encounters we may have had, it has NOT put us off booking future ATW segments.  In fact, we have already booked the same itinerary you mention, because it exactly fits our wants, too.  We will be doing LA-to-Tokyo, the first four segments of the 2024 ATW.

I hope you decide to book, and that we will see you onboard!

Our experience was the same on the first segment of the 2019 ATW. As soon as people we met found out we were “segmenters” and not on the full ATW, they really didn’t want to know us. We were traveling with friends and met another segment couple so we had a great time. Still traveling with the new friends we met. 

Agree that our experience would not prevent us from booking future ATW segments if there are itineraries we want. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 6:01 AM, Ski Mom 2 said:

Wouldn’t those two be spectacular?! But it’s too many days for us. But it does give one pause…😎

We retired couple years ago and can do longer trips now.. however these 2 segments will be our longest. 

You would have 18 months to get used to the idea!  😁

On 7/13/2022 at 6:45 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

Thank you all for your honest answers about cruising on segments of the ATW cruise. When I mentioned the longer option my DH actually said, “Oh, where does it go?!”

When I mentioned the 2 segments (Australia and New Zealand) my DH said that's a really long time!  But we are booked!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have done segments on the ATW’s twice. We found everyone to be friendly. If you play Trivia, you may have less of a choice for team mates, but that is not a big deal.  We found those that participated in the sport events to be much friendlier than some of the others. Go for it and enjoy.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, Ski Mom 2 said:

We have wanted to go to Australia and New Zealand for several years. If we weren't booked on Oceania's South America cruise in January 2023 we would have gone on Windstar's Australia and New Zealand cruises instead (we are fans of both Oceania and Windstar). Windstar has not released their 2024 cruises yet (except for a few but I'm hopeful they too might repeat those same cruises in 2024) so for now, I'm looking at other options for January/February 2024 for Australia and New Zealand.

I see Insignia will be sailing on her AWC and has 2 cruises in February 2024 that go exactly where I'd like to go: Jewels of New Zealand and Australia's Embrace.

My questions are: What are your thoughts on being onboard the AWC but not being a part of the AWC? How many of the cabins are typically filled for the AWC? 25%? 50%? 75% Many cabins already say "waitlisted" and I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this yet. Is it awkward being on board but not being a part of the AWC? We make friends easily but just wonder if it's hard not being part of the AWC and all the activities that go along with being on the AWC.

Thanks for any insights!

We just booked the Los Angeles to Auckland segment, and I have similar questions.  I'm hoping my husband and I aren't "outcasts" for 29 days! 😁

Edited by YoPhilly

Yo 

On our segment in 2018, we found people are great on board, you just have to be willing to “share” a table for meals and partake in the activities on board.  Trivia is a great place, all the games for Big OPoints, CC Meet and Greet  and the list goes on. You will have a wonderful time and the number of sea days will add to the opportunities to meet and get to know many of the wonderful O guests. Make sure you are participating in your cruises Roll Call and you will have many new friends as soon as you set foot on the ship. 
Ciao, Mauibabes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Yo 

On our segment in 2018, we found people are great on board, you just have to be willing to “share” a table for meals and partake in the activities on board.  Trivia is a great place, all the games for Big OPoints, CC Meet and Greet  and the list goes on. You will have a wonderful time and the number of sea days will add to the opportunities to meet and get to know many of the wonderful O guests. Make sure you are participating in your cruises Roll Call and you will have many new friends as soon as you set foot on the ship. 
Ciao, Mauibabes 

Thanks, Mauibabes!