Trip Insurance - Am I over-reacting?

While onboard over the Christmas 2021 / New Year 2022, we made on onboard booking for a cruise in April 2023. I emailed by TA to have her to secure trip insurance for the deposit and to get pre-existing conditions coverage. She said TravelGuard was overwhelmed (Omicron surge) and only operating by email request. Numerous times over the next ten days I emailed to see what the status and often received no answer. When she did respond, she seemed confident it was all was fine. Until it wasn't. No, she can find no copy of her correspondence with Travel Guard and we were left with no insurance to cover preexisting conditions until it was too late. 

My husband both are cancer survivors and have other health issues, so I have always booked trip insurance. I am tempted just to cancel the cruise and look for another, except there is nothing I like as well. I have told my husband that I just don't feel good about it and he will defer me. 

Any thoughts? Is there any point to getting insurance before making our final balance payment in December 2022? I've never had to worry about look-back periods before, etc. 

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise! 

Yes, and getting a new TA is on the list too! 

3 hours ago, islandhalls said:

While onboard over the Christmas 2021 / New Year 2022, we made on onboard booking for a cruise in April 2023. I emailed by TA to have her to secure trip insurance for the deposit and to get pre-existing conditions coverage. She said TravelGuard was overwhelmed (Omicron surge) and only operating by email request. Numerous times over the next ten days I emailed to see what the status and often received no answer. When she did respond, she seemed confident it was all was fine. Until it wasn't. No, she can find no copy of her correspondence with Travel Guard and we were left with no insurance to cover preexisting conditions until it was too late. 

My husband both are cancer survivors and have other health issues, so I have always booked trip insurance. I am tempted just to cancel the cruise and look for another, except there is nothing I like as well. I have told my husband that I just don't feel good about it and he will defer me. 

Any thoughts? Is there any point to getting insurance before making our final balance payment in December 2022? I've never had to worry about look-back periods before, etc. 

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise! 

Yes, and getting a new TA is on the list too! 

you should be way before final payment, so insurance quotes are still possible. Never used Travel guard, so I can't give input for this, but there are plenty of other insurance companies. We've used CSA in the past when we had to file a claim, all was handled quickly.  Your TA should look at other companies as well.. if not...yes, a better TA might help.   IMHO there is no point in getting final insurance before making final payment.... but always look at the fine print. 

1 hour ago, Gcto said:

you should be way before final payment, so insurance quotes are still possible. Never used Travel guard, so I can't give input for this, but there are plenty of other insurance companies. We've used CSA in the past when we had to file a claim, all was handled quickly.  Your TA should look at other companies as well.. if not...yes, a better TA might help.   IMHO there is no point in getting final insurance before making final payment.... but always look at the fine print. 

The problem is that most if not all policies available do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the policies are purchased within a short time after booking the cruise.  Any insurance without pre-existing condition coverage may be of very limited value. Insurance companies may try to deny coverage for many things by saying that "new" conditions are related to the pre-existing conditions.

Personally, I would seriously consider cancelling the cruise if I couldn't get coverage of incidents related to pre-existing conditions.  Too easy for the insurance company to deny coverage and lead to an expensive time-consuming dispute.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruisetheCs said:

The problem is that most if not all policies available do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the policies are purchased within a short time after booking the cruise.  Any insurance without pre-existing condition coverage may be of very limited value. Insurance companies may try to deny coverage for many things by saying that "new" conditions are related to the pre-existing conditions.

Personally, I would seriously consider cancelling the cruise if I couldn't get coverage of incidents related to pre-existing conditions.  Too easy for the insurance company to deny coverage and lead to an expensive time-consuming dispute.

I pay very close attention to the pre-existing conditions issue as well.  I suggest that you check with Steve at tripinsurancestore.com .  This may vary by state, but when I use the link on his website to request a quote, one of the options that it gives me is CSA Freestyle, which covers pre-existing conditions as long as you pay within 24 hours of final payment.

• Like 3

I always use Steve at https://tripinsurancestore.com

He does insurance threads here on Cruisecritic.  They rep several companies and you can preview the policies on their web site.  Some of their policies have a 21 day deadline for pre-existing coverage from deposit date.  Others are prior to final payment.

I'd give them a call and see what they might be able to do for you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, -Lew- said:

I agree with those who have recommended Steve Dasseos at TripInsuranceStore.com.  I suggest you call (888-407-3854 or 816-282-6858) and relate your situation to Steve or one of his staff.  They'll offer honest advice on how to proceed.

Strongly agree. Also with post#4 above which notes that they can sell you a policy that does NOT require purchase soon after initial deposit to cover pre existing conditions. Their website makes it very easy to compare policies and it includes pro and con advice about the. different policies. 

Also want to mention the wonderful service provided by Steve and his team. I was past final payment date on Mariner Alaska cruise when the cruise was cancelled by Regent due to needed repairs. I then booked a much cheaper Celebrity cruise to replace the cancelled Regent one. Because I needed less insurance for the substitute cruise, Trip Insurance Store arranged an $1100 partial premium refund to reflect the lower level of coverage needed for the substitute cruise. Took less than two weeks and I only had to provide minimal documentation. Such great service.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, islandhalls said:

Thank you all for your advice!

Looks like a call to Steve is my next step! 

If you call and speak to either of the two associates that work for him you will get equally great help. 

• Like 2

OP here! Thank you for the referral to Steve. I had sent an email explaining my situation and he called me today. What a knowledgeable person! He explained “look back” periods to me and also various strategies; some new to me. Yes, he has a new client! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, islandhalls said:

OP here! Thank you for the referral to Steve. I had sent an email explaining my situation and he called me today. What a knowledgeable person! He explained “look back” periods to me and also various strategies; some new to me. Yes, he has a new client! 

Glad he was able to help you!

24 minutes ago, Roz326 said:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post. BUT! Travel Guard insurance. We had it for our Amsterdam river cruise in May. My ship was plagued wit COVID (about 1/3 contracte it) and yes, I got it. So, 10 more unscheduled days in Amsterdam. When we returned home, we provided to Travel Guard  online all our receipts for expenses due to trip interruption and damaged luggage. After 2 months of waiting for this claim to be processed, we received an email yesterday stating that we needed to re-submit all our receipts and complete the online forms. Interesting since we have claim numbers! I feel like we are being taken advantage of not only by Travel Guard, but by the cruise line who promised we would not have to pay for anything when we were removed from the ship! 

Anyone else with a similar experience with Travel Guard? We are talking thousands of out of pocket dollar$ due to hotel costs, meals and daily testing fees. 

Yes I had a Travel Guard policy several years ago. They are notorious for that.  The way I got it resolved was through Steve in Tripinsurancestore.com even though I bought directly from the company. He contacted an underwriter there he knew and greased the wheels.  I don't know if he can help or not. But I have been using him ever since.  Giving him a call for advice couldn't hurt. He likes helping people I've discovered.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Yes I had a Travel Guard policy several years ago. They are notorious for that.  The way I got it resolved was through Steve in Tripinsurancestore.com even though I bought directly from the company. He contacted an underwriter there he knew and greased the wheels.  I don't know if he can help or not. But I have been using him ever since.  Giving him a call for advice couldn't hurt. He likes helping people I've discovered.

Hi ChucktownSteve,

In the last five months I've been getting more requests like yours. It appears that many people who sell travel insurance have stopped helping their customers with claims. Unfortunately, claims are taking longer to process.

I updated this Blog post on July 14th, too:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/why-are-travel-insurance-claims-taking-so-long-to-process/

Steve Dasseos

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roz326 said:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post. BUT! Travel Guard insurance. We had it for our Amsterdam river cruise in May. My ship was plagued wit COVID (about 1/3 contracte it) and yes, I got it. So, 10 more unscheduled days in Amsterdam. When we returned home, we provided to Travel Guard  online all our receipts for expenses due to trip interruption and damaged luggage. After 2 months of waiting for this claim to be processed, we received an email yesterday stating that we needed to re-submit all our receipts and complete the online forms. Interesting since we have claim numbers! I feel like we are being taken advantage of not only by Travel Guard, but by the cruise line who promised we would not have to pay for anything when we were removed from the ship! 

Anyone else with a similar experience with Travel Guard? We are talking thousands of out of pocket dollar$ due to hotel costs, meals and daily testing fees. 

• 2 weeks later...

A small update - Received an email that our small claim for damaged luggage was received and paid - no check received to date. Finally broke down and contacted Steve to see if he can help us. Travel Guard is not returning our emails or processing our May 14 claim. Will keep you updated as things progress. 

1 hour ago, Roz326 said:

Received an email that our small claim for damaged luggage was received and paid

Speaking of luggage damage...

We purchased four pieces of Away Luggage back in 2017.  Have experienced two instances of damage and both times Away sent new replacements with no questions asked.  Excellent luggage...excellent company!

Not having to deal with the airlines or travel insurance is a big plus.  Also, you can use the luggage for 100 days and return it (free shipping) if you're not happy.

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Speaking of luggage damage...

We purchased four pieces of Away Luggage back in 2017.  Have experienced two instances of damage and both times Away sent new replacements with no questions asked.  Excellent luggage...excellent company!

Not having to deal with the airlines or travel insurance is a big plus.  Also, you can use the luggage for 100 days and return it (free shipping) if you're not happy.

I love my Away suitcases!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roz326 said:

A small update - Received an email that our small claim for damaged luggage was received and paid - no check received to date. Finally broke down and contacted Steve to see if he can help us. Travel Guard is not returning our emails or processing our May 14 claim. Will keep you updated as things progress. 

Another update: Just spoke with Steve..he's on the case! Thanks to all who recommended calling him. 

• Like 1