Booze Cruise Hope Not

ScottC4746

I am thinking about taking a little short 4 night cruise from Los Angeles.  The last time I took a short cruise was on RCCL to Ensenada and it was truly a booze cruise.  Will I run into the same on Celebrity?  What about the little short cruises to the Caribbean?

Edited by ScottC4746

I haven't cruised out of LA, but I have done 4 and 5 night cruises in the Caribbean on both RCL and Celebrity (most recently on Celebrity). Just as a bit of reference, I enjoy my drinks and the bars that serve them, but I'm not much for the "woo-hoo crew" doing shots and shooters and "getting their money's worth" of drink packages.  A little of that nonsense goes a long way with me.

There certainly was more of a party atmosphere on the shorter cruises than on 7+ night cruises, but it wasn't anything I found excessive or offensive.  There certainly were more passengers that were living up a long weekend, but I wasn't turned off the idea.  Frankly, I've seen more "booze cruise" behavior on 7-night RCL sailings than I have on shorter Celebrity ones.

That said, shorter cruises are what they are (just as the others mentioned).

• Like 2

When I did the RCCL cruise, a lot of the other passengers were, let's just say a bit edgy and rough around the edges.  It almost had a feel of, "uncle got out of prison so we are doing a family trip," type crowd.  I know we are comparing different categories of cruise lines like comparing a VW to a Rolls Royce.  Just thought the higher end cruise line would deter some of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

When I did the RCCL cruise, a lot of the other passengers were, let's just say a bit edgy and rough around the edges.  It almost had a feel of, "uncle got out of prison so we are doing a family trip," type crowd.  I know we are comparing different categories of cruise lines like comparing a VW to a Rolls Royce.  Just thought the higher end cruise line would deter some of that.

Yes a bit higher end. A Celebrity 4-day cruise will be more like "uncle got out of minimum security so we are doing a family trip." 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 21

3 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just came off of an RC cruise and the 3 nighter was exactly like this.  If I didn't need the points to hit a high status, I would never have gone on.  I'm not a "buckets of beer at 9am" kinda guy! 😬🥳😱

1 minute ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I just came off of an RC cruise and the 3 nighter was exactly like this.  If I didn't need the points to hit a high status, I would never have gone on.  I'm not a "buckets of beer at 9am" kinda guy! 😬🥳😱

That is what I thought.  I had an acquaintance once that took a three nighter on Carnaval and tried to sue them for false advertising on the "unlimited beverage package" that was capped at 15 drinks a day per person.  If you are stressed over that, you don't need a cruise, you need Betty Ford.  Sounds like it is safer to do 7 night minimum cruise then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

That is what I thought.  I had an acquaintance once that took a three nighter on Carnaval and tried to sue them for false advertising on the "unlimited beverage package" that was capped at 15 drinks a day per person.  If you are stressed over that, you don't need a cruise, you need Betty Ford.  Sounds like it is safer to do 7 night minimum cruise then.

And I'm guessing 10 of those weren't bottles of water 🤢😬🥴

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Chasing points is a waste of time and money, especially to go on a vacation one would otherwise not have taken.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

15 is not unlimited, I see his point. 😁

One of the things that has caused shorter Celebrity cruises to be a bit different was the advent of the "Always Included" fare where most of the passengers have an unlimited classic or premium beverage package (not even the 15 Carnival limit!), and have no fear of a stiff bar bill waiting for them at the end of the cruise.  While passengers often have a tendency to party more on these shorter itineraries, Always Included certainly encourages it further.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

on vacation, 15 is not a lot of drinks in one day

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Chasing points is a waste of time and money, especially to go on a vacation one would otherwise not have taken.

Well, I was 2 points shy of hitting Pinnacle. I live in Florida and get extra $$$$ off and I paid a very low price so that I could take advantage of being Pinnacle on an upcoming 13 night Panama Canal cruise.  I think it was worth it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guarantee while there will be a few that will overindulge; it will be no different than the cruise we took on Infinity with 1400 Aussies and 400 Kiwis where Celebrity ran out of beer 6 days into a 14 day cruise.  If someone was overserved someone assisted in getting them to their cabin.

Some 5 or 6 years ago there was a large group on a cruise during Spring Break.  Things got rowdy and there were numerous incidents on board.  At the next port a couple dozen passengers were thrown off and arrested.  Many others were packed up and left on the pier. 

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I am thinking about taking a little short 4 night cruise from Los Angeles.  The last time I took a short cruise was on RCCL to Ensenada and it was truly a booze cruise.  Will I run into the same on Celebrity?  What about the little short cruises to the Caribbean?

We did a short cruise on Celebrity and we both commented that it was not the usual Celebrity clientel.  Lots of heavy drinking, loud voices and there were a couple of disturbances.  People were smoking on balconies.  Most cruisers were younger than the usual crowd.  We still had a good time.

• Like 1

The shortest cruise I've done was on Celebrity for 5 nights.  It made me fall in love with Celebrity, but I wouldn't do less than 7 nights again.  My worst:  a 4 night fundraising Carnival cruise--never again!

The shorter the cruise, the more partying goes on.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1