Who still decorates their cabin?

rrraydon

• rrraydon changed the title to Who still decorates their cabin?
33 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Do you still decorate your cabin and/or door? Show some pics.

I have never decorated my cabin door nor the cabin itself except on a Christmas cruise.  Sailing during Christmas, I order a small decorated and lighted Christmas tree to be delivered to my cabin.  At the end of the cruise, I will bring the tree home with me.  In recent years, that little tree is my Christmas tree in my home.

I do like to see the holiday door decorations that others prepare.  Many guests are much more creative than I am.  Why don't I do so?  I don't want to cart more stuff with me than I already need to do.  

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

On one ship I saw at Christmas, someone had decorated the railings of their balcony with colored lights.  I assume battery operated.  I wondered at the time if that was really permitted.  

On the QM2 and previous Cunard Ships not to hang any items to the rails of the cabin's balcony.

We have also been told but didn't do it ourselves, cabin attendants told passengers not to place anything even laundry on the railings but can on the balcony chairs.

I am not sure it is a regulation but a safety concern that items can blow or fall onto other balconies. If heavy or hard, can cause injury someone on the next balcony or down maybe at great height to the lower decks like a Promenade Deck. 

Example is like not smoking on decks and balconies that can land on another one and cause a fire. Like the fire that burnt on the Star several decades ago burnt several decks.

We would love on 4th of July sailing to place a US Flag but didn't think it was right since the QM2 alone is a beautiful sight. What would it look like from so high up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I am not sure it is a regulation but a safety concern that items can blow or fall onto other balconies. If heavy or hard, can cause injury someone on the next balcony or down maybe at great height to the lower decks like a Promenade Deck. 

Example is like not smoking on decks and balconies that can land on another one and cause a fire. Like the fire that burnt on the Star several decades ago burnt several decks.

Remembering the Star Princess fire, I was surprised to see that light display.  I wonder how long it lasted before it was taken down.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some cruise lines (looking at you Norwegian!!) don't allow you to decorate your door due to it being a fire hazard. I've never really thought to decorate our cabin since it's just hubby and I and the steward seeing it. Now that you say it though, it wouldn't be a bad idea. We will be cruising over our anniversary in 2024. 

• 1 month later...

We decorated our cabin door hall side when cruising to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary . It was an enlarged poster size photo from our wedding. We also left the Do Not Disturb placard on the door so as to make it easier for our steward, with fewer beds to make. At the Captain's Dinner towards the end of the cruise, a friend in our group commented that a couple next door to him was on their honeymoon and has yet to leave their room. Another friend asked how he knew the neighbors were on their honeymoon? He said because of the large photo on their door. I asked him to describe the photo. He did, and I told him it was our room. He looked at me and loudly said, "YOU'RE THE MAN" (because of the Do Not Disturb placard on the door handle) followed by a slap on the shoulder by his wife. I explained that we only had that up to help the steward. Our entire group all burst out in laughter, and he said "YOU'RE STILL THE MAN!"

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 1:34 PM, charmingtortoise said:

Some cruise lines (looking at you Norwegian!!) don't allow you to decorate your door due to it being a fire hazard. I've never really thought to decorate our cabin since it's just hubby and I and the steward seeing it. Now that you say it though, it wouldn't be a bad idea. We will be cruising over our anniversary in 2024. 

You should put at least a couple magnets on your door for your anniversary - you deserve it!

At Thanksgiving, we wrapped our door the first week for a birthday then replaced it the 2nd week for Christmas. Cabin steward asked if we wanted him to help 🙂

Inside, we just put magnets on the wall by the thermometer - we like to see them grow as the days progress.

• 5 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, HOWAYA said:

Do you have to use magnets to decorate? Is tape allowed? What sort of things do you decorate with? Sounds fun!

No tape!  Anything that might leave a residue could lead to cleanup charges for you.

• 4 weeks later...

We enjoy decorating our cabin door - not only does it help to easily identify our door amongst the many but its fun to interact with other passengers that way.  We always put a small dry-erase board on our door along with the other decorations and put a question on there every morning as we leave the cabin...  it's fun to see what other cruisers respond!  (and as the cruise goes on, and more folks participate - it gets kinda rowdy sometimes!  LOL)

I also put magnets around the door frame (usually resin duck magnets that I've made) for anyone to take as a memento from their cruise...  the cruising ducks folks love them!

We use the 3M command strips to attach everything to the door - its simple to remove and leaves no marks or residue on the door when we're done.

• 1 month later...

From the date of this post it looks like NCL has been "forbidding" door decorations for awhile.  However, its not enforced. I just got off the Encore a few weeks ago and some cabins had door decorations. Nothing outlandish but still decorations.  Mostly humorous signs. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I still do.  It's just a poster that has pictures of the destination we are going to with a caption. I put my cruise critic name on it .  I love making our door sign, I scrapbook so if un getting created.  I

The sign also helps me find my room also 😅 There use to be a forum on here where people would show a picture of their door signs. Also the cruise critic "Meet & Mingle" door sign was way more cuter than the one they have now.  

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t when travelling solo except for a small magnet if my room is on a long hallway. For my upcoming family cruise I have cute graphics I’ll make into door decor. For Christmas I used the same graphics and made cute zippered bags filled with my favorite cruise essentials (luggage tag holders, towel bands, magnet hooks, magnet clips, pooporri, outlet splitter etc) and each had their name on it. Next Christmas will be room signs customized to who’s staying in which room plus some other essentials like Dramamine, packing lists and maybe even matching tshirts.