NCL Air question

Kclovesken

I have read a ton of horror stories so I understand peoples reservations when using NCL for air. We are flying from CA to FL and I'm concerned about arriving on time. Will they do same day flights? Or is it the day before? 

5 hours ago, Kclovesken said:

Will they do same day flights? Or is it the day before?

Unless you ask for a "deviation" to arrive a day or two before the cruise your flights will be booked for same-day arrival.  Now - considering you're flying from the West coast to Florida they may give you a red-eye to arrive in the morning since most flights leaving from CA the same day as the cruise are likely to arrive too late. 

If you can request the deviation (there's a deadline for such requests) - DO IT.  There is still a chance you'd get a red-eye.

10 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

For some unknown reason, NCL is now offering a $25 credit for the diversion.

They have been for a while, I think since just after my 2019 cruise that I used the airfare perk for.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

For some unknown reason, NCL is now offering a $25 credit for the diversion. They used to charge $25 to get it.

NCL told us they had no hotels available so we would have to make our own arrangements, and that was the reason for the $25 diversion credit.  This made no sense to us, especially since we already had our own arrangements and hadn't planned on booking them through NCL.  I didn't even realize they booked hotels at the time.  

We booked two staterooms (for two couples), and they charged us $100.00 ($25 per person) just to guarantee that we would all be on the same flight(s), so that wiped out the diversion credit.  I even asked if a couple cruising together in the same stateroom would be charged the $25 fee to be on the same flight and was told that we would not.  I then suggested they should only charge for one person per cabin to be on the same flight, since their cabin mates weren't charged to be on the same flight.  They wouldn't go along with my way of thinking and charged all four of us $25 each.

4 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

NCL told us they had no hotels available so we would have to make our own arrangements, and that was the reason for the $25 diversion credit.  This made no sense to us, especially since we already had our own arrangements and hadn't planned on booking them through NCL.  I didn't even realize they booked hotels at the time.  

We booked two staterooms (for two couples), and they charged us $100.00 ($25 per person) just to guarantee that we would all be on the same flight(s), so that wiped out the diversion credit.  I even asked if a couple cruising together in the same stateroom would be charged the $25 fee to be on the same flight and was told that we would not.  I then suggested they should only charge for one person per cabin to be on the same flight, since their cabin mates weren't charged to be on the same flight.  They wouldn't go along with my way of thinking and charged all four of us $25 each.

Thanks for the chuckle. I love your screen name Old Fart Cruisers 🙂 . We took the 1 day deviation and we got the $25 credit. 

46 minutes ago, libtrek said:

You probably got the credit because you won’t be able to use the transfer service since you’re flying in early.

16 minutes ago, mantadiver said:

Libtrek is correct.  It is because you won't avail of the transfers on the way to the ship.  

Our $25 diversion credits were after the cruise.  We are flying in the day of the cruise and did book the transfers to the ship through NCL which we will be using.  We are 33 days out and still waiting for our flight Itineraries.

• 6 months later...

Flying west coast to east coast would no deviation mean a Friday evening departure to arrive Saturday for Saturday embarkation?  Meaning then a one day deviation for a Saturday embarkation NCL might fly us out Thursday night? Or would the deviation mean a flight leaving any time Friday from west coast as long as they then had the arrival to east coast also be on Friday?  Trying to ponder options as a Thursday night flight would not work, but could make any time Friday work if necessary. 

Edited by PNWMomma

1 hour ago, PNWMomma said:

Flying west coast to east coast would no deviation mean a Friday evening departure to arrive Saturday for Saturday embarkation?  Meaning then a one day deviation for a Saturday embarkation NCL might fly us out Thursday night? Or would the deviation mean a flight leaving any time Friday from west coast as long as they then had the arrival to east coast also be on Friday?  Trying to ponder options as a Thursday night flight would not work, but could make any time Friday work if necessary. 

Deviation is based on when you arrive.  So for west to east, figure an 8 hr  flight, plus 3 hrs time change. So overnight Friday for Saturday cruise. With a deviation, you might leave Thursday night but there's a reasonable chance of putting you on an early Friday flight - no way to say.

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Deviation is based on when you arrive.  So for west to east, figure an 8 hr  flight, plus 3 hrs time change. So overnight Friday for Saturday cruise. With a deviation, you might leave Thursday night but there's a reasonable chance of putting you on an early Friday flight - no way to say.

Thank you. So realistically if we did NCL air we should consider no deviation. A 1 day would put us at risk for them booking red eye Thursday into Friday.. that’s my concern.

Most likely will keep an eye on flights to see what we may find on our own to maintain control.

Just another data point to add to this thread. My mother and I booked the BOGO flight deal for our cruise leaving March 26 and just this morning received our flight info today, so 70 days out.

Our outgoing flight is a very early considering we need to clear US customs (flying YYZ to EWR), leaving at 7:30 am, so we'll likely stay at an airport hotel the night before (we live about an hour from the airport), but we'd rather have an earlier time in case there are delays. Both flights are non-stop. I think we paid about 30% what flights would cost if we paid for them separately, so very happy with the results!

The reason you only hear horror stories is because people generally take more time to complain instead of compliment. You just need to be a little flexible and expect that not everything will be perfect. We’ve done half a dozen cruises with NCL booked flights and have not had any problems. All were day of flights out of Philly, which is arguably the worst east coast airport. Their main priority is to get you on the shop, or it will cost them money. Let them do their job and have a good time.