Why is a cabin priced nearly $200 more for a solo?

3 hours ago, wallyj said:

I think I saw on the RCL website when you want to see the benefits of each level, there is a footnote regarding DP340 stating not available on summer sailings and holiday sailings

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Twangster said above he got it for the presidents cruise which is next July is why I asked about exceptions. 

The summer blackout for DP340 is well known... July and August.  Same with holiday cruises meaning US based holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Once the Prez cruise was announced the lack of DP340 was soon pointed out and they responded by allowing DP340 within a specific window.  It might have been a post here on CC I saw or another social media site.  I had looked at pricing before that and with the new found knowledge of the reprieve I had it refreshed and sure enough DP340 worked.  Today though, it doesn't.  Snooze... you lose.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, twangster said:

That is no longer a sure thing.  Many reports lately from guests who didn't get the extra point with a no show and when they later called they were shot down. It's inconsistent.  If you recently had a no show cabin mate and scored the extra point be happy.

Well did anybody escalate this to Bailey? We all know that callimg might not get the correct results 50% of the time  - because the phone agents are clue less!

On 7/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, emeraldcity said:

OK. That makes sense. In my case, I tend to tip the cabin steward extra because I don't want him/her to feel like they got shafted by having only one person in the cabin.

That is very good of you to do this.

emeraldcity I am sure they really appreciate the nice touch

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The summer blackout for DP340 is well known... July and August.  Same with holiday cruises meaning US based holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Once the Prez cruise was announced the lack of DP340 was soon pointed out and they responded by allowing DP340 within a specific window.  It might have been a post here on CC I saw or another social media site.  I had looked at pricing before that and with the new found knowledge of the reprieve I had it refreshed and sure enough DP340 worked.  Today though, it doesn't.  Snooze... you lose.  

I got the DP340 on my 2024 Christmas cruise and just priced two for this year and got it for them too 

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I got the DP340 on my 2024 Christmas cruise and just priced two for this year and got it for them too 

I hope this answer is not traced😁, but I got this solo discount for a booked August sail.  Don't know how the Royal agent was able to apply it.  I'm not good at reading the fine lines and was not aware of the restrictions until someone on this board pointed it out.

14 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I hope this answer is not traced😁, but I got this solo discount for a booked August sail.  Don't know how the Royal agent was able to apply it.  I'm not good at reading the fine lines and was not aware of the restrictions until someone on this board pointed it out.

I also got it both on a July and August cruise.  They were allowing for a while back I guess when bookings were down.  It was quite a while ago when I booked them.  Can't get it now

11 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I also got it both on a July and August cruise.  They were allowing for a while back I guess when bookings were down.  It was quite a while ago when I booked them.  Can't get it now

I booked the sail while on board the Anthem in April.  As a matter of fact, the agent could not apply both the DP340 code and the OBC booking bonus at the same time.  Had to call CS to get the $100 OBC recorded.

This year (at times) there have been lots of reduced single supplements for everyone to be found.  That's how I got on next week.  It wasn't DP340 but reduced single fares for all single travelers.  The same with some really inexpensive Voyager cruises next year including holidays.  It isn't DP340 making them cheap for solo, any solo gets that rate.

Edited by twangster

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Well did anybody escalate this to Bailey? We all know that calling might not get the correct results 50% of the time  - because the phone agents are clue less!

In this case, the reps have been consistent - since early 2020, the party line has been that unless you booked solo from the start, you don't get the extra solo point for a no show double occupancy booking. Now, the system could still default to giving it to you so you don't have to ask for it, but when you do, that's the likely answer you will get.

Biker, who asked four times over the span of 1.5 years and got the same reply (though the LA on Anthem was able to credit it anyway after two other LAs couldn't).

On 7/12/2022 at 10:14 AM, emeraldcity said:

OK. That makes sense. In my case, I tend to tip the cabin steward extra because I don't want him/her to feel like they got shafted by having only one person in the cabin.

I think that's great, and I'd probably do the same, but it's probably not necessary.   I'd bet there are far more cabins packed with extra 3rd and 4th passengers than solos, so it likely that it all averages out for the stewards.   

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Agree, same here, CV and Low Bookings the Discount was available to me many times that wouldnt have been in yrs past. Unfortunately most those Cruises I Booked were canceled

7 hours ago, twangster said:

This year (at times) there have been lots of reduced single supplements for everyone to be found.  That's how I got on next week.  It wasn't DP340 but reduced single fares for all single travelers.  The same with some really inexpensive Voyager cruises next year including holidays.  It isn't DP340 making them cheap for solo, any solo gets that rate.

Yes, I remember it was around August '21 that a poster brought to our attention.  Repriced my January '22 Allure sail and saved a bunch of moneys.  Made 340 nights on that sail.