Most Memorable Cruise

22 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Lastly, we were on Mariner about 15 years ago and they played the same random song all over the ship before every show and activity. It was catchy and got stuck in our heads though we didn't even know what it was until we looked it up. It was "Love Today" by Mika and my wife has used it as her ringtone for me ever since.

You should try a Princess cruise where they play “The Love Boat” over and over, including the ships’ horns.

• Like 1

Ours was probably a cruise that did not happen.  March 2020, we were in Chile to get on the Eclipse to San Diego.  After spending 4 days sightseeing and wine tours, we get to the dock in San Antonio and find out the cruise was canceled.  So we spend another few days sightseeing and wine tours (and drinking the case of wine we bought to take home) and took which at the time was one of the last flights before the shutdown to get back to the US.  Traveling with friends from New Zealand, they could not get home from Chile, so they came to the states with us and finally got a flight home about 10 days later.  

Forgetting about the disappointment of no cruise - it was a great vacation

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

That's the idea for now. Keeping it up to date over 9 months would drive some people crazy

Would it?  I mean, I think it would keep you sane and grounded.  By month 1, having every need attended to you and not having to make any real decisions other than what to eat for dinner?  I'd need the live thread just to stay grounded.

Our best cruise was probably Celebrity from Tokyo to Hong Kong in 2015, with four ports in Japan, one in China and two days on Taiwan. 

Second place would be Royal C. Transpacific from Sydney to Seattle in 2018 with ports in New Caledonia, Fiji and Hawaii.

56 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Would it?  I mean, I think it would keep you sane and grounded.  By month 1, having every need attended to you and not having to make any real decisions other than what to eat for dinner?  I'd need the live thread just to stay grounded.

Deciding what to eat or drink isn't a problem. 

It's committing to excursions in so many unique places that will be biggest challenge. And sticking to a budget for them

• Like 4

Like many, my most memorable was our first. The Crown Monarch, out of port of Palm Beach. I think the year may have been 1991, but I'm not sure. The bug bit on that cruise, 7 days western Caribbean.

The second also quite memorable. The night before, we drove to Fort Lauderdale. Next morning we flew from FLL to Anchorage, where we boarded a bus to Seward, of a 7 day southbound to Vancouver, on Princess. the year was 1999.  Never again will we fly to the cruise on embarkment day.

Early on, we learned something each time we cruised.   

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Like many, my most memorable was our first. The Crown Monarch, out of port of Palm Beach. I think the year may have been 1991, but I'm not sure. The bug bit on that cruise, 7 days western Caribbean.

The second also quite memorable. The night before, we drove to Fort Lauderdale. Next morning we flew from FLL to Anchorage, where we boarded a bus to Seward, of a 7 day southbound to Vancouver, on Princess. the year was 1999.  Never again will we fly to the cruise on embarkment day.

Early on, we learned something each time we cruised.   

Oh yes I learned very early on to never fly on embarkment day 😆 Anything can happen! 

25 minutes ago, DrewCC2225 said:

Oh yes I learned very early on to never fly on embarkment day 😆 Anything can happen! 

Funny thing is, when we dropped the luggage of at FLL. the porter said that he didn't know if he could check our luggage all the way to Alaska. But he did. There were 3 legs, each on a different airline, but apparently, they knew we were going on a cruise, and got special handling. I was surprised that our luggage also made it. Thing were different in those days.

Edited by mo&fran

Most memorable Itinerary = Alaska Southbound, getting to see Hubbard Glacier in an active calving moment was wonderful.

Most memorable family = Taking the boys to St Kitts and St Martin, and renting private drivers to tour the islands. Our youngest still calls St Kitts his favorite place.

Most memorable couples only = Regal Princess in 2015 because it was the 1st with my partner. She and I have been on a boat or two since, but that first one together will always be the most memorable.

Most memorable Uh Oh cruise = Anthem Feb 2016. Super Bowl Sunday and we got in a fight with a popup "unnamed" storm off the coast of NC. 150mph winds and reportedly 30 feet seas. All passengers were ask to shelter in place in their staterooms as we had no choice but ride out the storm for close to 12 hours.

Most memorable in a bad way cruise = Navigator 2018, my partner became extremely ill on board and the doctor couldn't treat her. We were medically disembarked in Bonaire and after 2 days on the island had to be med-evaced by jet ambulance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Any good stories?

Nothing too crazy but I believe our first or second cruise our flight got delayed a few hours and didn’t arrive at the port until 3:50 and the ship was leaving at 4. Thank God we got there in time. Ever since that day we always fly out the day before unless we leave from NY because that is where we live. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Deciding what to eat or drink isn't a problem. 

It's committing to excursions in so many unique places that will be biggest challenge. And sticking to a budget for them

You got a year and a half to figure out 170 ports...that's...

Okay, yeah, good luck.  Didn't the world cruise include 7?  so its actually 163 ports 😛

• Haha 1

Best Itinerary ... I have 2.  First Alaska on Serenade of the Seas in 2004.  Beautiful beyond compare.  The second is Cuba on Empress of the Seas.  Friendliest people willing to share a peak into their daily lives with you. 

10 minutes ago, immjs20 said:

Best Itinerary ... I have 2.  First Alaska on Serenade of the Seas in 2004.  Beautiful beyond compare.  The second is Cuba on Empress of the Seas.  Friendliest people willing to share a peak into their daily lives with you. 

I forgot about this cruise.  I too was lucky enough to do Empress OTS to Cuba when it sailed.  Very friendly people, amazing scenery and our 8 hour tour was worth every penny.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

You got a year and a half to figure out 170 ports...that's...

Okay, yeah, good luck.  Didn't the world cruise include 7?  so its actually 163 ports 😛

I think it's 150 ports. We have 19 or 20 overnight stays

• Like 1

I have 2:

- NCL Pride of America Hawaii 6/3/06, which was my honeymoon. Fantastic way to see 4 Hawaiian islands.

- Crown Odyssey Australia 1/3/03, a 21 day cruise from Sydney along the Australian coast to Singapore. Absolutely fantastic cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exm said:

Crown Odyssey Australia 1/3/03, a 21 day cruise from Sydney along the Australian coast to Singapore. Absolutely fantastic cruise.

Singapore and Thailand are on my memory making bucket list.  Desperately waiting for their itineraries to come out as they're only available until April of 2023 right now. 

My very first cruise was 1981 on the Pacific Princess, aka The Love Boat.

I was a big fan of the show. We received an upgrade to a picture window.

The pool was a big round tub. No hot tub.

The food and service were fantastic! 

My favorite was my first cruise.  I told my husband that if I only got one cruise in my life that I wanted to go to Norway. We did it!  It was 1987 and we were on an old rust bucket (Ocean Islander) with only 250 passengers. We had a blast with our dinner companions and they led us on fantastic tours. We kept in touch for many years but I think I’m the only surviving member of the group.  I’ve been on many cruises since.  Loved New Zealand and Australia, Alaska and Hawaii cruises.  My most recent cruise was last month - to Norway with my son, granddaughter and her husband and my 2 great grandsons on Sky Princess.  We went to different ports than first cruise which were nice but…. Am booked on Radiance in September with my son and will get to see a grandson who lives in Kona.

33 minutes ago, Jessejo said:

My favorite was my first cruise.  I told my husband that if I only got one cruise in my life that I wanted to go to Norway. We did it!  It was 1987 and we were on an old rust bucket (Ocean Islander) with only 250 passengers. We had a blast with our dinner companions and they led us on fantastic tours. We kept in touch for many years but I think I’m the only surviving member of the group.  I’ve been on many cruises since.  Loved New Zealand and Australia, Alaska and Hawaii cruises.  My most recent cruise was last month - to Norway with my son, granddaughter and her husband and my 2 great grandsons on Sky Princess.  We went to different ports than first cruise which were nice but…. Am booked on Radiance in September with my son and will get to see a grandson who lives in Kona.

I bet you have some really cool stories with that group. It’s really cool you were able to keep in touch over the years. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, sandebeach said:

I have had so many great cruises but one of the memorable ones was sailing through the Panama Canal. It was quite an experience to see all the ships lined up outside Colon waiting to enter the canal, then going through all the locks in the Canal, and then at the end of the day seeing Panama City and sailing under the Bridge of the Americas. 

This is on our bucket list.

• Like 1