Is there a way to find out how many covid cases are on Carnival ships now?

cruisr

1 minute ago, jam19872016 said:

But it doesn't. If you are at all concerned with the positive rate, be it .3 or 2.3, you should not be planning a cruise vacation at this time. Period.

Case rates will raise and fall at the same time they do on land. Likely with higher numbers because yes, viruses do thrive in a cruise ship environment. Until covid is out of our daily vocabulary for at least a year, you should not be choosing this as your mode of vacation.

That may mean you need to sit it out for years to come. Or you could chose to live your life. But stop trying to have it both ways.

It is as relevant as saying my cabin was smaller than what I expect at a hotel. No kidding. Why would we need post after post after post complaining about that? We know the cabins are small and we chose to go anyway.

Same thing, we know covid is a risk and we went anyway then posted a complaint. Most of these posts are not presented as informational. They are omg woe is me cruise lines did not protect me and now my whole family is sick. 

It's a harsh reality, but cruising may not be for everyone right now, and that is okay.

By your reasoning I should not be concerned with the rate of positives because with anything over 0% I should stay home.  I, and I suspect many others, don't agree with your all or nothing approach.  My concern about a 3% positive rate will be a lot different than for a 30% positive rate.     Knowing the occurrences on board would be just one more tool available to manage the risk.  BTW, by a positive rate of .3 or 2.3, I hope you don't mean 30% or 230%.  That latter would definitely keep me off the boat.  

• Like 3

Just now, ldubs said:

By your reasoning I should not be concerned with the rate of positives because with anything over 0% I should stay home.  I, and I suspect many others, don't agree with your all or nothing approach.  My concern about a 3% positive rate will be a lot different than for a 30% positive rate.     Knowing the occurrences on board would be just one more tool available to manage the risk.  BTW, by a positive rate of .3 or 2.3, I hope you don't mean 30% or 230%.  That latter would definitely keep me off the boat.  

Oops forgot my % but yes that was what I meant.

A cruise vacation is a little different than leaving your house which is also a decision that is made in real time. When you book a cruise, you have no idea what it will look like when you sail.

Expect the worse. If that frightens you, then yes it is an all or nothing approach. After all a cruise is a luxury, a trip out of your house is an important necessity  for mental health.

And yes, I am sure many will not agree with me, because again too many people want to have it both ways. Tell them they can't, and well, then you are the bad guy.

Let's hope this will be behind us one day soon and we won't have to have this disagreement and can all be allowed to enjoy our cruise without worry of catching anything but a sunburn and noro 🤢

1 minute ago, jam19872016 said:

Oops forgot my % but yes that was what I meant.

A cruise vacation is a little different than leaving your house which is also a decision that is made in real time. When you book a cruise, you have no idea what it will look like when you sail.

Expect the worse. If that frightens you, then yes it is an all or nothing approach. After all a cruise is a luxury, a trip out of your house is an important necessity  for mental health.

And yes, I am sure many will not agree with me, because again too many people want to have it both ways. Tell them they can't, and well, then you are the bad guy.

Let's hope this will be behind us one day soon and we won't have to have this disagreement and can all be allowed to enjoy our cruise without worry of catching anything but a sunburn and noro 🤢

I don't think you are a bad guy, but I don't agree with your like it or leave it approach.  Expect the worse and stay home is not remotely descriptive of how most folks consider any activity.   I mean honestly, if the positive rate on a cruise ship were the 0.3% example you gave this would not even be an issue.   But if it is 20% or 30%, then a lot of folks might make a personal decision to stay home.  That comes nowhere close to having it both ways.   You apparently don't agree with my wanting to know the risk.   I doubt either of us is going to change our perspectives

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't think you are a bad guy, but I don't agree with your like it or leave it approach.  Expect the worse and stay home is not remotely descriptive of how most folks consider any activity.   I mean honestly, if the positive rate on a cruise ship were the 0.3% example you gave this would not even be an issue.   But if it is 20% or 30%, then a lot of folks might make a personal decision to stay home.  That comes nowhere close to having it both ways.   You apparently don't agree with my wanting to know the risk.   I doubt either of us is going to change our perspectives

Well, the positivity rate on a cruise ship is a unicorn that will never be known. It’s high enough that a decent number of people are testing positive. I agree that’s not super helpful but I’m in the camp that if someone is truly worried about getting it, then they shouldn’t cruise. I think it’s absolutely higher than .3. Hard to believe it’s 20%. Maybe it is. But if someone says, I’d go at 5% but not at 10%, they probably should do a different vacation. 

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 2

Unbelievable how some want to blame the victim. It is a two way street. There are no innocents. If everyone stayed home there would be no covid on ships.

I doubt positivity is anywhere close to 20% on a cruise ship. I don't doubt you can find a 20% rate on land.

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Unbelievable how some want to blame the victim. It is a two way street. There are no innocents. If everyone stayed home there would be no covid on ships.

I doubt positivity is anywhere close to 20% on a cruise ship. I don't doubt you can find a 20% rate on land.

you doubt it but unless you are privy to the cruiselines numbers you have no proof.

YES ... there is COVID on the cruise ships and it doesn't matter if it is 30% or .03% if you run into the 1 person that has it you can catch it.  It is very contagious.  But there is also COVID in your neighborhood. My husband or I got COVID from a visit to the grocery store, hair dresser, LabCorp, pharmacy or department store. Not sure where but probably just one of us got it and gave to the other.  We only had slight cough and tested because we were going on a cruise. Otherwise we would not have tested.  Does everyone else test if they cough?

And ... the people who test after the cruise probably got it on the cruise but could have gotten it going to/from the cruise (flying, stopping for gas or lunch, etc.). 

I agree with others ... if want to be sure not to get COVID on a cruise then you should NOT cruise now. 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, Hoosierpop said:

Well, the positivity rate on a cruise ship is a unicorn that will never be known. It’s high enough that a decent number of people are testing positive. I agree that’s not super helpful but I’m in the camp that if someone is truly worried about getting it, then they shouldn’t cruise. I think it’s absolutely higher than .3. Hard to believe it’s 20%. Maybe it is. But if someone says, I’d go at 5% but not at 10%, they probably should do a different vacation. 

I think not knowing the positivity rate is the reason for the discussion.  And if we did have it, I honestly don't know what my cut-off would be.  I think JAM made a good point earlier about the need for good info to compare with other activities.   I don't know what the actual rate is, but I bet it is higher than most might think.  Just a WAG on my part though.  

Edited by ldubs

39 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think not knowing the positivity rate is the reason for the discussion.  And if we did have it, I honestly don't know what my cut-off would be.  I think JAM made a good point earlier about the need for good info to compare with other activities.   I don't know what the actual rate is, but I bet it is higher than most might think.  Just a WAG on my part though.  

I think it is definitely higher than official numbers. Not because of hiding numbers but because people don’t report it. I didn’t. 

So sure, if we had accurate numbers, people could make decisions based on that. I guess my point is, if that’s something important to folks, they might not want to cruise at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

I think it is definitely higher than official numbers. Not because of hiding numbers but because people don’t report it. I didn’t. 

So sure, if we had accurate numbers, people could make decisions based on that. I guess my point is, if that’s something important to folks, they might not want to cruise at this point. 

If people reported it, they wouldn’t be on board. It’s a virus that’s been around for almost three years. Do you call your local Costco or movie theater for their numbers?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

A positive test is meaningless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

Yep, I think probably a lot of positives happen after the cruise.  Folks are very unlikely to report back.

Your point seems to be the the prevailing advice.  

On 7/12/2022 at 3:06 PM, groundloop said:

It seems that the cruise industry doesn't really want those numbers to be known.

you mean unlike allll the other industries that post thier own numbers daily......🙄

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:55 PM, ldubs said:

I does mean something.   Knowing the positive rate might help some decide if they want to participate.  In fact, it is hard to know the risk without this kind of basic information.  Additionally, sharing a Covid experience following a cruise seems very relevant.  After all Covid is still an issue.  It does not mean the person wasn't aware of the risk.   I don't get why that would be something to rant about.    

No it doesn't mean aything.  make the assumption that you are going to be around covid positive people and act accordingly.  That's what you should do in every situation.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thunderingherd11 said:

No it doesn't mean aything.  make the assumption that you are going to be around covid positive people and act accordingly.  That's what you should do in every situation.  

Well, if that is how you view it, then please follow your own advice and act accordingly.    To a lot of folks, including me, it is meaningful information.  

Of course it is likely one would be around covid positive people in just about any public setting.  And, some settings are going to be better or worse than others.   I simply know not to treat them all the same.

One will never know the positivity rate on the ship. For many reasons but the biggest is most people will not test in the ship because they know what could happen. A small cold and cough - ehh! Not worth being in quarantine and removal in a 3rd world country. Maybe people take their own tests on board  but reporting is a different level. The only people I believe tested are staff that need to and people deathly sick that need help.  Second most people test positive after they leave which means damage already done and they are gone. 

This conversation is interesting but the topic unanswerable. 

13 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

One will never know the positivity rate on the ship. For many reasons but the biggest is most people will not test in the ship because they know what could happen. A small cold and cough - ehh! Not worth being in quarantine and removal in a 3rd world country. Maybe people take their own tests on board  but reporting is a different level. The only people I believe tested are staff that need to and people deathly sick that need help.  Second most people test positive after they leave which means damage already done and they are gone. 

This conversation is interesting but the topic unanswerable. 

I find it interesting that it’s such a concern. You don’t test to go shopping or board an airplane, but a cruise. Oh no

Edited by TheSeagoer
  • Like 2