Rome restaurants

larry_s_taco

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are you thinking of Trattoria Pommidoro?  

It's on the far side of Termini about four blocks further west, close to Sapienza University, so not super close, but a reasonable distance. 

I haven't been there but it seems like opinions are mixed. Some think it trades on its former glory and that non-regulars are not treated the same -- hence I would recommend it with caution having not been there.

A typical Roman dinner at Pommidoro: a must for film buffs in Rome - Foodie with Suitcase

I don’t know the name.  It just sprung into my head with Tucci.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, larry_s_taco said:

This is our first trip to Rome. We will be staying 3 days in Rome before our cruise in October. We were wondering what restaurants near the Termini that everyone would recommend. We are staying at the Hilton Doubletree Monti in that area. We would like to find some walkable places to eat. Preferably some traditional Italian places, not the tourist traps that I've been reading about. We are also interested in the best Gelato locations. 

We are staying at the same hotel for our 10/3 Celebrity Beyond cruise.  Also interested in some good restaurants even if they involve a taxi somewhere.  

6 hours ago, Lib0007 said:

We are staying at the same hotel for our 10/3 Celebrity Beyond cruise.  Also interested in some good restaurants even if they involve a taxi somewhere.  

There's a thread pinned at the top of this forum with a lot of good recommendations, many in Rome.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 6:48 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

Just made a reservation for Armando By the Pantheon.   Thanks for recommending…hope it is delicious!   

How did you go about making the reservation? It seems online doesn't work at all since there are no days free on the calendar at all. We are going to be there in October and would love to visit as well. 

1 hour ago, Jimmym1981 said:

How did you go about making the reservation? It seems online doesn't work at all since there are no days free on the calendar at all. We are going to be there in October and would love to visit as well. 

If I recall correctly, you actually have to call them. Like a real, live phone call. 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I recall correctly, you actually have to call them. Like a real, live phone call. 😉

hmmm.  That's probably the only one of my usual places that i have always made the res online.  maybe it's changed.  Or, all those dates are already filled or not opened up yet..,

i just played around with the site and also the ResDiary site.  Looks like things may be filled up.  or the website is wonky.  i used to do it via email which popped up if you asked to make a reservation.  Times change, I guess.  it wouldn't hurt to try to call.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I had the hotel call them and reserve a table for us.  We emailed the concierge and he replied by the next day.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Good to know. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow to make the reservation. I have no problem giving them a call! The online says it opens 30 days ahead so maybe come Sept 1st a new block with open. Either way, appreciate all the assistance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 3:58 PM, marazul said:

I had the hotel call them and reserve a table for us.  We emailed the concierge and he replied by the next day.  

I emailed my hotel, del Senato, and they responded that they would no longer deal with Armando because the restaurant would not answer the phone or reply to emails. I tried jumping on their online reservation system first thing in the morning a month before the date I wanted and a few spots were available but only 10;00pm for dinner and a few lunch spots. I made a lunch reservation though I'd much rather have dinner there. Oh well, good-luck.   

8 minutes ago, circee said:

I emailed my hotel, del Senato, and they responded that they would no longer deal with Armando because the restaurant would not answer the phone or reply to emails. I tried jumping on their online reservation system first thing in the morning a month before the date I wanted and a few spots were available but only 10;00pm for dinner and a few lunch spots. I made a lunch reservation though I'd much rather have dinner there. Oh well, good-luck.   

I am surprised.  The Albergo del Senato made our reservation with no problem. 

Enjoy your lunch.

BTW - the time to make the reservation is midnight (12 am) Italy time.

Edited by marazul

We just got back from ROME.   I made reservations online for Armando’s de Pantheon.  Got lucky for a 7 pm reservation the day we wanted.   Lines start forming about 6:30 for their opening at 7.  Need reservations as we watched folks that did not have them and were told place was full…which it was.

The other restaurant I made reservations for were Alfredo’s del Scoffa….where the recipe for Alfredo sauce is credited.   Definitely need reservations and lines start forming about 6:30 but they take reservations first of course.   Both were easy to do online.

On 9/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, circee said:

Surprised to hear that.

unless you don't like to eat at 10pm, there isn't a reason not to take that one.   I had a restaurant that I wanted to eat at in Florence that only took phone reservations.  i had my hotel try to make reservations 3 months in advance for me and gave them 3 nights to try.  came back with 1 night at 10pm and i took it because this was the 3rd time I was trying to get in.  10pm was no different than eating at 8pm.   it's not like the streets are closing up at 10pm or even midnight.  There is activity around the Pantheon area late into the night.  

On 7/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, larry_s_taco said:

This is our first trip to Rome. We will be staying 3 days in Rome before our cruise in October. We were wondering what restaurants near the Termini that everyone would recommend. We are staying at the Hilton Doubletree Monti in that area. We would like to find some walkable places to eat. Preferably some traditional Italian places, not the tourist traps that I've been reading about. We are also interested in the best Gelato locations. 

we stayed at this double tree in july, worked out well for us. short walk to all the sites except Vatican. we did taxi to Vatican and another from there to Spanish Steps. nfrom there walked our way back thru Trevi etc to hotel.  Sadly the last night we found our favorite restaurant and its a very short walk from hotel. La Fata Ignorante Rooftop Restaurant & Bar, its on the roof of IQ Hotel. I say we found it sadly our last night because I could have eaten there every night. our first night we were tired from traveling and just across the street from hotel is sidewalk restaurant,  not 5* by any means but very good lasagna etc. two entrees and a bottle of wine $25, it was a good end to long day. 

https://www.lafataignorante.it/

https://www.iqhotelroma.it/files/Menu_La-Fata-Ignorante-Rooftop-Restaurant.pdf

On 8/10/2022 at 12:44 PM, Lib0007 said:

~3 blocks from hotel, excellent food. 

On 9/21/2022 at 5:49 AM, jbdawg said:

we stayed at this double tree in july, worked out well for us. short walk to all the sites except Vatican. we did taxi to Vatican and another from there to Spanish Steps. nfrom there walked our way back thru Trevi etc to hotel.  Sadly the last night we found our favorite restaurant and its a very short walk from hotel. La Fata Ignorante Rooftop Restaurant & Bar, its on the roof of IQ Hotel. I say we found it sadly our last night because I could have eaten there every night. our first night we were tired from traveling and just across the street from hotel is sidewalk restaurant,  not 5* by any means but very good lasagna etc. two entrees and a bottle of wine $25, it was a good end to long day. 

Thanks. I just put this on our, "Definitely try" list.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:49 AM, jbdawg said:

On my list, thx!

• 11 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 11:55 AM, jerseygirl3 said:

I'm assuming if you're spending 3 days in Rome, you will want to make a visit to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.  If you are going to be in that location, I would highly suggest Armando Al Pantheon restaurant (about 50  yards away from the Pantheon, but tucked in a small street.)   It is very small, you must make a reservation for dinner at least a month in advance.  Lunch may be easier, but still need a reservation.  It's very small and family owned (they are closed on Sundays).  It's a little more difficult to get in since Stanley Tucci featured it on his CNN special "Searching for Italy", but it's not a touristy place.  The cacio e pepe is to die for, as is the carbonara.  

I just made lunch reservations for our 1st day in Rome on Mon, Oct 9th.  Do you think it’s worth requesting an outside table?   

31 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I just made lunch reservations for our 1st day in Rome on Mon, Oct 9th.  Do you think it’s worth requesting an outside table?   

Sit inside. It's fun seeing the action in the kitchen.  October could sometimes be a little rainy.