Romanian passport

minniegidget

I have friends that want to cruise. They have Romanian passports and green cards. Are they going to be able to cruise? I told them that I would see what I could find out. I will call in the morning but was hoping I might get some information from here. Sometime we get faster and more  accurate Information from cruise critic. 

I would parse the cruise line website very carefully, and as noted, verify if they need visas to visit any of the ports by checking with the specific countries involved.

I would not rely on this forum, no matter how much it has useful data, for such a critical and legal-complication issue.

7 hours ago, minniegidget said:

I have friends that want to cruise. They have Romanian passports and green cards. Are they going to be able to cruise? I told them that I would see what I could find out. I will call in the morning but was hoping I might get some information from here. Sometime we get faster and more  accurate Information from cruise critic. 

I have a Canadian passport and Green card and must always travel with the Green Card.  The check in process on line when I check not an American Citizen requires me to enter my visa information (green card) and this is what they will want to see when you arrive at the port. I never have to give them my passport.  Also you do not have to choose the type of visa if you have a green card just skip that step

Edited by dbrucern

I can tell you what your friends would need for an Alaskan cruise.

Passengers who are US Permanent Residents (with current/valid proof) can cruise to Alaska without needing a Canadian Visa.

If your Romanian friends were just regular B1/B2 US Visa tourists visiting (not Green Card holders), they could cruise to Alaska without needing a Canadian Visa if their Romanian Passport was a machine readable electronic passport.  If it was a non-electronic version, they would need a Canadian Visa to take an Alaskan Cruise.

But as everyone one say, always do your own due diligence.

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Wouldn't the passport also need to be a non-expired passport?

On a closed loop cruise (I am speaking from my experience as someone who checks in Alaska bound cruise passengers), the actual foreign passport doesn't really matter for US Permanent Residents.  The US Parament Resident Card trumps the foreign passport.  While we would prefer that both the Green Card and the foreign passport are presented at check-in, it is the Green Card that is swiped, and a photocopy record is made of the card for the ship's documentation office,.

Some Permanent Residents (like from Cuba, Syria, Iran, etc) no longer have valid passports from their country of birth, so it would make sense that a passport from the country of birth may not be available, or renewable.

• Thanks 1