DRINKS ALLOWED TO BRING ON SHIP

9 minutes ago, jamscckmc said:

Hi, it’s been awhile since I cruised on RC. Other than the one bottle of wine can you bring other drinks onboard? Some cruise lines allow a 12 pack of soda and others allow water.

Yes, per Cabin you can Carry On a 12 pack Max of 17oz ea, Cans or Bottles, Water or Pop. I also carry on Bottles of 16.9oz Mt Dew. Beats the 12-12oz cans for size. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

Why does Royal allow guests to bring on soda or wine?

Also, I'm assuming these items are purchased shortly after the flight but before boarding the cruise ship  because who would want to do fly with these items?

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

Also, I'm assuming these items are purchased shortly after the flight but before boarding the cruise ship  because who would want to do fly with these items?

Second question first.  
Many people drive to port, sometimes a substantial distance rather than fly.  For those who drive, bringing soda and wine is easy.  Most people who fly probably prefer to purchase the items after the flight.  It is advisable fly to the port area a day (or more) before the cruise if at all possible (to help mitigate delays/cancellations), so many people have some time in the area.  

Why bring wine or soda?

Many people bring favorite or special wine or soda that is not available on board.  For some without a drink package, it could be a cost saving measure; they can then spend the money on something else.  Some people find it convenient to have those drinks in their cabin rather than going to a venue to get a beverage every time.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Second question first.  
Many people drive to port, sometimes a substantial distance rather than fly.  For those who drive, bringing soda and wine is easy.  Most people who fly probably prefer to purchase the items after the flight.  It is advisable fly to the port area a day (or more) before the cruise if at all possible (to help mitigate delays/cancellations), so many people have some time in the area.  

Why bring wine or soda?

Many people bring favorite or special wine or soda that is not available on board.  For some without a drink package, it could be a cost saving measure; they can then spend the money on something else.  Some people find it convenient to have those drinks in their cabin rather than going to a venue to get a beverage every time.

Thanks.  Very helpful information.  Why do you think Royal Caribbean allows this?

5 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Thanks.  Very helpful information.  Why do you think Royal Caribbean allows this?

Maybe just keeping up with other lines? Princess, Celebrity, NCL and I think HAL all allowed us to bring on a bottle each. 

3 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Second question first.  

Why bring wine or soda?

2 minutes ago, soremekun said:

They have long had the wine allowance.  Perhaps many people probably ask to bring a very special bottle or two for the very special occasion ( often a bottle the cruiseline could not source).  Having developed this such policies, it is hard to withdraw them and probably just not worth it.

Soda/water were allowed, then banned (banning liquids became pretty common).  And now you see the current policy above. Again, I think consumer demand.  People want their favorite beverage on board and some are very picky.  The ship cannot stock them all. This way people can bring a stash of an important one.

9 minutes ago, RosieCanberra said:

Maybe just keeping up with other lines? Princess, Celebrity, NCL and I think HAL all allowed us to bring on a bottle each. 

No FYI, NCL charges a corkages fee on every bottle of wine a passenger brings on board ($15 for 750 ml bottle).  There is no limit to the number of bottles a guest may bring, but no “freebie” bottle

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

No FYI, NCL charges a corkages fee on every bottle of wine a passenger brings on board ($15 for 750 ml bottle).  There is no limit to the number of bottles a guest may bring, but no “freebie” bottle

Oh wow, they didn't charge me, how funny. I have a few NCL booked, but I haven't cruised with them since 2016. 

Incidentally I read on one of the roll calls that due to wine shortages NCL are allowing people to bring on bottles without charge at the moment. Everyone has an included drinks package anyway, so I guess they are saving money and keeping people happy. I'm not sure how long that will go on for though. 

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

I don't. 

But half of mine are "drive to" cruises.    Not all of us fly all the time to get to a ship.  

For RCI San Juan departures, there is a duty free wine/water/soda/liquor shop inside the terminal.  You can pick up just before heading up the escalator.  

Many others stay overnight before their cruise after a flight...can pick up on the way to the ship that way as well.  

Edited by island lady

4 hours ago, soremekun said:

Because I cannot get Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper, or Diet Mt Dew on the cruise ship. 

Also, If there is a wine you like to enjoy, bring it.  You never really know what is available on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

All the lines used to let you bring any beverage (as much as you wanted).   So alcoholic or otherwise used to be allowed (either officially or unofficially via non enforcement).  Of course back then (say 80s and 90s), cruise fares were equal to or more than they are now.  Now Cruise lines don’t make money if you just cruise and don’t spend.  They need you to buy alcohol, dinners, etc., etc. to be profitable.  Thus the restrictions and enforcement, and the million different ways they try to get everyone used to spending extra on cruises now (looking at you coco cay).   The business model has changed over the years.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Royal used to have that too, but they rarely if ever charged it.  Wonder if NCL really implements that much.  

HAL is pretty much bring all the wine you want, $20 bottle to bring on board. Celebrity has a charge to bring on board, currently waived if you have a beverage package, I believe 2 bottles per person. On RCL, I often bring a few even if I have the beverage package, just so I have some in the room for late night or pre-dinner when getting showered and dressed and do not feel like leaving the cabin. I do drive to most of my cruises, and pack the bottles in wine wings.

Edited by RedIguana

7 hours ago, RosieCanberra said:

Oh wow, they didn't charge me, how funny. I have a few NCL booked, but I haven't cruised with them since 2016. 

Incidentally I read on one of the roll calls that due to wine shortages NCL are allowing people to bring on bottles without charge at the moment. Everyone has an included drinks package anyway, so I guess they are saving money and keeping people happy. I'm not sure how long that will go on for though. 

I have not been back on NCL since the restart, but the corkage fee is still on their FAQ’s. I was not aware if they were waiving the fee per roll calls now.  Previously if X-ray security screening showed wine, they’d direct the person to a table to pay corkage.  Of course, screeners are mostly there looking for dangerous items and some screeners may not much care if you pay corkage.  Or a screener might miss it or forget to convey the message.  Not everyone on NCL has the drinks package.  One can book a sail away fare that does not include perks, for example.  Or a party who drink very little might decline the drink package because the gratuities on the package would be more than their bar bill (for example, if our only drink is one glass of wine at dinner each day, we are better off bringing our favorite wines or buying wine on board).

8 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

NCL just changed their policy,  If you have the Beverage Package there is no longer a corkage fee

13 hours ago, topnole said:

Thus the restrictions and enforcement, and the million different ways they try to get everyone used to spending extra on cruises now (looking at you coco cay).   The business model has changed over the years.   

Why all the hate for Coco Cay?  You can easily have a very enjoyable day without spending an extra dime, and there are a lot more/better amenities that are free of charge (more eateries, more loungers, more umbrellas, more places to swim).  

If you want to do EXTRA things, there is a charge for those activities, but there is no charge to do the things that were free before the renovation, and there are a lot more things that are available for free now. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Why all the hate for Coco Cay?  You can easily have a very enjoyable day without spending an extra dime, and there are a lot more/better amenities that are free of charge (more eateries, more loungers, more umbrellas, more places to swim).  

If you want to do EXTRA things, there is a charge for those activities, but there is no charge to do the things that were free before the renovation, and there are a lot more things that are available for free now. 

I’m not hating on it and not sure what makes you say that.   Coco cay was clearly built up to upsell a lot of activities/experiences and it serves as a perfect example.  Just pointing out cruise fares are very cheap relative to 30 years ago and they have to upsell lots of things to make a profit.  

The business model has changed a lot.   Drink packages can now cost more than the cruise fare.  A cabana for the day costs more than many folk’s monthly money mortgage payment.   Is what it is.  

34 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m not hating on it and not sure what makes you say that.   Coco cay was clearly built up to upsell a lot of activities/experiences and it serves as a perfect example.  Just pointing out cruise fares are very cheap relative to 30 years ago and they have to upsell lots of things to make a profit.  

The business model has changed a lot.   Drink packages can now cost more than the cruise fare.  A cabana for the day costs more than many folk’s monthly money mortgage payment.   Is what it is.  

I guess the way you said "looking at you, Coco Cay" seemed like "hate".

Coco Cay has a lot more free stuff than it used to, and you aren't charged a dime to walk onto the island and have a very enjoyable day.  And if you've purchased a drink or internet package, those things work on the island as well (some lines charge extra on their island even if you have a package).

Yes, there are things you can spend extra on if you want to, but the island itself doesn't charge you a thing, while giving way more than it used to.  

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.... I like to look at all the extra free things available now, instead of looking at the extra cost things that you don't have to spend extra on if you don't want to.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, soremekun said:

I throw some water in my checked luggage when I fly. Then hand carry it onto the ship. 

Why? Because I am cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Because I cannot get Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper, or Diet Mt Dew on the cruise ship. 

Also, If there is a wine you like to enjoy, bring it.  You never really know what is available on the ship.

Yup, been Carrying Dt Dew onto Royal Ships for about 30yrs myself. When did NCL Cruises one thing liked was they had Vending Machines onboard with these same 16.9oz bottles of Pepsi product's...

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I guess the way you said "looking at you, Coco Cay" seemed like "hate".

Coco Cay has a lot more free stuff than it used to, and you aren't charged a dime to walk onto the island and have a very enjoyable day.  And if you've purchased a drink or internet package, those things work on the island as well (some lines charge extra on their island even if you have a package).

Yes, there are things you can spend extra on if you want to, but the island itself doesn't charge you a thing, while giving way more than it used to.  

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.... I like to look at all the extra free things available now, instead of looking at the extra cost things that you don't have to spend extra on if you don't want to.  

I’ve been and you loved it.   I also love cruising.  Doesn’t mean I can’t recognize that the business model of cruising has evolved over the years.  How you thought I hate coco cay is beyond me.   Comparing changes, or anything for that matter, doesn’t mean you dislike one or the other let alone hate them.  

• Like 1