covid test

Random Cruizer

I know the answer to this, but I feel extremely anxious because the timing is so tight.

My cruise leaves on a Saturday, I have to test two days before.  My Thursday flight is 6 am, I'll leave for the airport at 3 am, which means doing the binax proctored test at 2 am on Thursday. I know it's 24/7, and it's two days not 48 hours--but wow, am I nervous about having to take the test at 2am.  I can't change the flight--I'm going to have an 8-hour layover at JFK, but Delta has no flights before my transAtlantic other than the 6 am flight.

I should be safe, though, correct?  Reassure me, please...

26 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

I know the answer to this, but I feel extremely anxious because the timing is so tight.

My cruise leaves on a Saturday, I have to test two days before.  My Thursday flight is 6 am, I'll leave for the airport at 3 am, which means doing the binax proctored test at 2 am on Thursday. I know it's 24/7, and it's two days not 48 hours--but wow, am I nervous about having to take the test at 2am.  I can't change the flight--I'm going to have an 8-hour layover at JFK, but Delta has no flights before my transAtlantic other than the 6 am flight.

Why stress.  You have time to test at home. Test with a proctor at JFK if it bothers you.  A test takes about 10 minutes.  Or at 4am at your home airport should also be easy.  Lots of quiet corners in airports that early.

It also is a bit more than 1 days as UTC time is used which is likely about 5 hours ahead of you.

PS - welcome to Cruise Critic 

• Like 1

Where are you sailing from? Italy's requirement is "within two days" so you can test once you arrive, too. Barcelona and Southampton appear to be the same. (Yes, some guests will need testing within one day, but if the OP is testing two days ahead already, that apparently doesn't apply.)

• Like 1

If you are worried about being positive right before you leave, take an at-home test the day before just to confirm you are negative.  Then do your official test at your leisure knowing it will most likely be negative.  You can order free at-home tests from USPS.  We are doing a 10 day soft quarantine before departing on August 17th for sailing on 19th.  Will do at-home tests a day or two before departure before flying cross country to Seattle.  Then doing the official proctored test at hotel in Seattle.  If the at-home test is positive there is time to cancel and save that flight for a future time.

Edited by PKB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have the same scenario. I thought about trying to test at the airport before our 6am flight but it’s a very small airport without any quiet spaces - especially now with so many folks traveling. Recent flying experience had a packed airport at 4:30 am. 

So right now, we are thinking about the online testing at about 2am. 

• Like 1

I can understand your anxiety but you have plenty of time.   As others suggested you could always do a self proctored test the night before flight and then take your test once you arrive at your hotel.   You could also do it when you get up before your flight.    You don't have to sit at your computer or phone for the whole 15-20 minutes.    After you do the Swab you can leave your computer had have breakfast or coffee and a buzzer sounds when the 15 minutes are up and you then click a button to finalize the reading of the test results.  

From when I tested positive it will show Positive long before the 15 minutes.  Most times  within 20-30  seconds. 

Going through airport security stress is 10x worse than taking the test.

Enjoy your vacation

• Like 1

When I sailed with a group of family in January, everyone flew in on Friday afternoon for a Sunday departure.  I hadn't seen these folks in more than two years!   I had purchased all of the eMed protored tests (even got a few extra) since we live in Florida and brought them with us to our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale.  We had give people taking the on-line proctored test late Friday afternoon.  We had no issues getting through and I'd say we were done with everyone in a little over an hours.

With an 8-hour layover in JFK, you have tons of time to get the test taken care of.

Honestly (and I'm not trying to cause you additional stress....just preparation), I'd be far more concerned about my flights given all the delays and cancellations these days.  I feel pretty confident that Delta's international flights from JFK haven't been impacted too much and you have a nice long layover so that helps.  But I still recommend being prepared.  Amsterdam (I'm guessing that is where you are flying to) is one of the airports having plenty of issues.

Have the flights from your home departure to JFK been on time the past week; have all the JFK - AMS been on time (they were all on time yesterday...you can check on the Delta website)?  Delta has at least four non-stop flights per day from JFK - AMS departing late afternoon into the evening.  If you are one of the later flights, ask Delta if you can switch to an earlier flight given all the cancellations and delays.  Be sure to have a list of the other Delta flights from JFK - AMS in case you need to make a change.  Having that information handy rather than trying to research it later can be useful.  The good news is you are flying on Thursday so if something delays you, you could still take flights on Friday and make it to your cruise on Saturday.  

Flight changes are happening all the time right now.  I check my upcoming flights (for work and our October cruise) daily.  Sorry....didn't mean to get away from your concerns about testing and create more anxiety, but the more you know and are prepared, the better your entire trip will be.

Wishing you a safe and uneventful journey and a great cruise!  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info and ideas.  And I hear you, Host Anne, that's the part I'm worried about the most too.  I'm Cleveland to JFK to Amsterdam going and Amsterdam to Chicago to Cleveland coming home.  Fingers crossed!  I'm not checking bags, and my carry on will be small enough to go under my seat if it has too--I'm an extremely light packer, and I could pick up some things in Amsterdam for not much more than the checked bags fees, I think.

I got covid on my Caribbean cruise at the end of June.  My plan now is to get a test Wednesday at my local clinic and obtain a C of Recovery if positive (I've been negative using home tests twice now, so I'm not too worried), and if that's negative, then I'll feel good about a 2 am test on Thursday.

• Like 1

Random ~ good for you with the carry-on.  My husband even asked how that's impossible.  🙂  I hope with each passing week that the flight situation settles down.  But then I tend to be an optimist.  Note that one leg of our return flights from Europe was cancelled last week and Delta's rebooking had us on three changeovers so I found other options that would work and took care of the rebooking myself on their website.  

I don't believe you'll have any issues with your testing.  Sending all positive vibes for you!!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Random Cruizer said:

The emed test will report results in UTC time. This means that depending on where in the US you live, a 2am test will be anywhere from 6am to 9am on Thursday during DST.

Edited by RichYak
Math error
  • Like 1