Pre Cruise Covid Test?

Hi all.  We are sailing at the end of October and I know things may change before then but here is my question.  At the moment RC's website says to test 2 days prior to sail date for vaccinated guests.  The problem is that we will be flying down to Miami on the day we need to take a test.  We're flying out very early so we wouldn't be able to test before our flight,  would we be able to get tested and get the results somewhere in Miami on that Saturday and have the results in time to sail on Monday?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, huntr104 said:

would we be able to get tested and get the results somewhere in Miami on that Saturday and have the results in time to sail on Monday?

Bring the free gov't tests with you and do a proctored test while in Miami.

• Thanks 1

Or order tests through emed .

https://www.emed.com

The test takes about twenty minutes using your camera phone. We did ours the night before the cruise in our hotel room. A pdf result document is emailed to you immediately after the Procter verifies the results.

Edited by lax19
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

You might want to worry about this in a couple weeks, because it may change

Hmm are you thinking that the pre-cruise testing requirement may come to an end?   There was Michael Bayley's statement ont he June President's Cruise about it "being around for a few more months",  and I am hearing rumblings on "other sites" that RCCL CSR's are telling people it will likely end by Oct. 1st.  Of course we know that RCCL CSR's are not always very accurate. 😏

EDIT - Oh, I see:

Edited by rudeney

Can't say what will be the case in October, but currently there are many places in Miami to do your test in a timely manner. Nomi and beepermd have multiple sites as well as pretty much any urgent care clinic. I work in Miami and have to be tested regularly.  I find Nomi to be more organized, but either will do.

4 hours ago, redfantum said:

Can't say what will be the case in October, but currently there are many places in Miami to do your test in a timely manner. Nomi and beepermd have multiple sites as well as pretty much any urgent care clinic. I work in Miami and have to be tested regularly.  I find Nomi to be more organized, but either will do.

What are the prices? Emed or government proctored test are probably cheaper and more convenient.

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Bring the free gov't tests with you and do a proctored test while in Miami.

Hi,

Yesterday I ordered BinaxNOW AG Card tests for our RCCL cruise in September. . Hopefully our insurance (Kaiser) will reimburse.  I moved up our flight to 2 days prior, so I needed  do it yourself test. Normally we test here at home with CVS.

Ok, so now I read your comment and wonder if I just potentially wasted $99!  (for 3 tests)

We have the free govt tests here at the house.But, what is a proctored test?  I’m confused 🫤 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

6 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Yesterday I ordered BinaxNOW AG Card tests for our RCCL cruise in September. . Hopefully our insurance (Kaiser) will reimburse.  I moved up our flight to 2 days prior, so I needed  do it yourself test. Normally we test here at home with CVS.

Ok, so now I read your comment and wonder if I just potentially wasted $99!  (for 3 tests)

We have the free govt tests here at the house.But, what is a proctored test?  I’m confused 🫤 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

All of the tests will need to be proctored.  For the BINAX now tests you will need to set up an account and have them proctored.  If you wish to use the government tests, you will still need to pay $20 to have them proctored.  Here is a website that you can use: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travelL

We have Providence for our insurance and they did reimburse us for the entire cost of the emed tests, including the shipping. 😀

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rudeney said:

and I am hearing rumblings on "other sites" that RCCL CSR's are telling people it will likely end by Oct. 1st.  Of course we know that RCCL CSR's are not always very accurate. 😏

With my luck, as I cruise 10/01/22, they will end it 10/02/22.

Not sure if it is the "appropriate" test, or if they are still doing it, but Miami airport at one time was offering testing through Nomi Health.  See https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

17 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

All of the tests will need to be proctored.  For the BINAX now tests you will need to set up an account and have them proctored.  If you wish to use the government tests, you will still need to pay $20 to have them proctored.  Here is a website that you can use: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travelL

We have Providence for our insurance and they did reimburse us for the entire cost of the emed tests, including the shipping. 😀

What does “proctored” mean?

1 hour ago, Markmom18 said:

What does “proctored” mean?

Oh c'mon. :classic_rolleyes: It means someone watches you take the test on your computer or phone and certifies the results, so you have something to show to the cruise line. 

And Kaiser said they will reimburse you $12 for each test....if you have been reading their correspondence. :classic_rolleyes::classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 2

Royal brand Azamara drops pre cruise covid testing.

AZAMARA® ANNOUNCES THE REMOVAL OF ITS EMBARKATION COVID-19 TESTING REQUIREMENT

Beginning July 25, 2022, Azamara no longer requires pre-cruise COVID-19 testing for guests, excluding ports where pre-travel testing is still needed in accordance with country regulations. To ensure the health and safety of guests and crew, Azamara will still require proof of vaccination prior to embarkation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Royal brand Azamara drops pre cruise covid testing.

AZAMARA® ANNOUNCES THE REMOVAL OF ITS EMBARKATION COVID-19 TESTING REQUIREMENT

Beginning July 25, 2022, Azamara no longer requires pre-cruise COVID-19 testing for guests, excluding ports where pre-travel testing is still needed in accordance with country regulations. To ensure the health and safety of guests and crew, Azamara will still require proof of vaccination prior to embarkation.

Woo hoo there is hope RC will drop pretesting!!!  We sail Aug 19! Testing for our kids has been the most stressful thing to figure out, Im still not sure I have it straight! 

• Like 1

Not to be picky, but RC Group sold Azamara in 2021 to the Sycamore Group.

MIAMI, March 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean Group (NYSE: RCL) (the Group) today announced it completed the sale of its Azamara brand to Sycamore Partners, a private equity firm specializing in consumer, retail and distribution investments, in an all-cash transaction for $201 million. The sale included Azamara's three-ship fleet and associated intellectual property.

This strategic deal allows the Group to focus on expanding its Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Silversea Cruises brands.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

Which ones can you use with emed and how much are they?

You need to buy the RX version of the Abbott test ($25+, either via the RCI link or directly from emed/Optum) which include the proctoring service.