Shorts at Vatican

Travelw

Are shorts allowed when doing the inside tour of the Vatican?  I know the excursion says knees and shoulders need to be covered.  I have looked at pictures of the Vatican tour and there are quite a few in shorts.

Thanks 

It’s not just an excursion organiser request, it’s a request from the site itself. If your shorts don’t cover your knees, you could take a large scarf with you and tie it around your waist like a sarong. Then you’re free to wear your shorts for the other things you’re doing that day. I think covering knees and shoulders is a very reasonable request in return for being allowed to visit such an amazing place.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 3

Their church, their rules.  I wouldn't be surprised if right now, during one of the worst heat waves in European history, guards are being more lenient with the rules but the fact is that knees and shoulders must be covered.

If getting into the basilica isn't critical for you, take the risk and wear what you want.  Maybe you'll get lucky and be allowed in, maybe you won't.

I do find it curious how many people evaluate their own behavior based on others, strangers, vs. alignment with the stated rules.  The calculation seems to be "I would feel worse about myself if others got away with something and I didn't" vs. "I would feel better about myself by respecting the wishes of my hosts", the very people who make this amazing basilica available for your enjoyment.

St. Peter's Basilica dress code.jpg

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 3

was there a couple of weeks ago and yes there were people in short shorts,  saw some skimpy tops also. 

for the most part people followed the rules wearing long shorts/pants and dresses/capris  that cover the knee

• Like 1

Just don't do it. It's rude and there are other solutions available. For women a skirt or capris are just as cool as shorts and for men there are lightweight pants or even the old standby travel/camping pants with zip-off legs.

• Like 3

This was a huge debate this past week with my husband who didn't want to wear pants in the 100 degree heat but doesn't have shorts that cover his knees.  He wore the pants, but continued to point out just how many men were in shorts that didn't cover their knees and "they were not being turned away".   I agree with the "respect the rules" part of things but if a venue is going to relax the rules due to the extreme heat, then that should be posted or at the very least, followed consistently.

Would that humans did anything at all consistently.  Given the context, consider the range of interpretations of the rules exhibited by priests of the Church regarding far more important issues of religious practice.  The "princes of the church" and their minions have bigger fish to fry, I'm pretty sure this doesn't even make it onto their radar screens.

I don't think there is anything you can do to help someone who feels personally diminished by what other people "get away with".  I suspect that suggesting they question their own values won't gain you anything other than another argument.

13 hours ago, blonde375 said:

This was a huge debate this past week with my husband who didn't want to wear pants in the 100 degree heat but doesn't have shorts that cover his knees.  He wore the pants, but continued to point out just how many men were in shorts that didn't cover their knees and "they were not being turned away".   I agree with the "respect the rules" part of things but if a venue is going to relax the rules due to the extreme heat, then that should be posted or at the very least, followed consistently.

This is a perennial favourite topic on this board. If standards were not being enforced while you were there, it was not because they had been relaxed due to hot weather. I have noticed that the clothing of priests, nuns, friars, etc does not come in a special, less modest “summer version”. Respect for the rules is appropriate in any season. Your husband might not have been happy, but he did the right thing.

• Like 1