P&O Testing

Jill85

Its all very confusing ,last week prior to our Iona cruise we got an e mail with the new health protocols for our arcadia cruise in September and then booked tests at the nearest pharmacy , from what I now understand this is no longer required and is literally a test done on honesty? I have e mailed P and O for confirmation that this is the case 

2 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Its all very confusing ,last week prior to our Iona cruise we got an e mail with the new health protocols for our arcadia cruise in September and then booked tests at the nearest pharmacy , from what I now understand this is no longer required and is literally a test done on honesty? I have e mailed P and O for confirmation that this is the case 

No need to e-mail P&0. You take your own test within 48 hours of departure, and then you tell P&O that it was negative. So, yes, P&O are expecting passengers to be honest in their response, in the same way they expect everyone to be honest about other ailments that they might have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billish said:

No need to e-mail P&0. You take your own test within 48 hours of departure, and then you tell P&O that it was negative. So, yes, P&O are expecting passengers to be honest in their response, in the same way they expect everyone to be honest about other ailments that they might have. 

Thanks Billish, that is my understanding ,the only reason I have e mailed them is so I can have it in printed form as they have an annoying habit of moving the goal posts  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Thanks Billish, that is my understanding ,the only reason I have e mailed them is so I can have it in printed form as they have an annoying habit of moving the goal posts  

That email could certainly have been clearer/better worded...

15 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

If you test positive during the cruise (35 nights) are you forced to disembark the ship unless seriously Ill.

Depends where you are I think.  Certainly people on other lines are being quarantined ashore. I believe Cunard have had quite a few, but could be different now.  Assumedly you are going US, Canada, Caribbean?

Italy seems to be the dodgy one for back to back testing but you won't be going there so no problem! 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

New guidelines from 6 Sept

From 6 September 2022, self-testing prior to travel will change from “mandatory” to “highly recommended” for vaccinated guests on the vast majority of holidays. Children aged five – 11 years who are not fully vaccinated will still require a negative lateral flow/antigen test prior to embarkation.

Guests sailing on longer, more complex itineraries will be required to have an observed or in person antigen or PCR test with a fit to travel certificate prior to departure. These include a number of holidays of 16 nights or more and other specific cruises.

These new guidelines apply to all Cunard and P&O Cruises itineraries sailing from Southampton and all other departure points with the exception of countries where government regulations and protocols may vary including Canada and Australia.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

From 6 September 2022, self-testing prior to travel will change from “mandatory” to “highly recommended” for vaccinated guests on the vast majority of holidays. Children aged five – 11 years who are not fully vaccinated will still require a negative lateral flow/antigen test prior to embarkation.

Guests sailing on longer, more complex itineraries will be required to have an observed or in person antigen or PCR test with a fit to travel certificate prior to departure. These include a number of holidays of 16 nights or more and other specific cruises.

These new guidelines apply to all Cunard and P&O Cruises itineraries sailing from Southampton and all other departure points with the exception of countries where government regulations and protocols may vary including Canada and Australia.

Here we go again. Clear as mud. 16 nights or more and other specific cruises. So which specific cruises? 

They might as well say some cruises, though I accept they probably can't say that for operational reasons.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Had a clarification e mail from P and O confirming our upcoming month long cruise in September does not require an observed or certificated test before boarding 👍

• Thanks 2

As usual, P&O seem to have things even more complicated than it needs to be

The wording on the P&O website is currently 

Changes to testing requirements: Guests on cruises after 5 September 2022 whose testing requirements differ from the below policy will be contacted directly for their upcoming holiday.

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will no longer need to provide a test certificate, however, they will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing.

These instructions still say they that the LFT must be taken within two days prior to boarding. Yet the press release, as quoted by Rupert, says that the requirement for self testing is changing from 'mandatory' to 'highly recommended.  So there's a bit of a discrepancy in the messaging

https://www.carnivalcorporation.com/news-releases/news-release-details/po-cruises-updates-covid-19-travel-requirements

As for the more stringent requirements for longer, more involved cruises. I'm assuming that @gsmt47471015 cruise is the 30 USA cruise sailing on 6th Sept, which would seem to be the epitome of a longer more involved itinerary, so I don't understand why the enhanced testing is not needed for that cruise. Very confusing 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, Billish said:

We go in October. All seems straight forward. Self test and declare the test was negative. Just another question on the pre boarding questionnaire. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

That is what the press release says but not what has been put on the website. See post #89. 

Nor what it says on our booking, which says the same as above.

11 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

That is what the press release says but not what has been put on the website. See post #89. 

7 minutes ago, emam said:

Nor what it says on our booking, which says the same as above.

The website will be updated........eventually!  😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As usual, P&O seem to have things even more complicated than it needs to be

The wording on the P&O website is currently 

Changes to testing requirements: Guests on cruises after 5 September 2022 whose testing requirements differ from the below policy will be contacted directly for their upcoming holiday.

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will no longer need to provide a test certificate, however, they will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing.

These instructions still say they that the LFT must be taken within two days prior to boarding. Yet the press release, as quoted by Rupert, says that the requirement for self testing is changing from 'mandatory' to 'highly recommended.  So there's a bit of a discrepancy in the messaging

https://www.carnivalcorporation.com/news-releases/news-release-details/po-cruises-updates-covid-19-travel-requirements

As for the more stringent requirements for longer, more involved cruises. I'm assuming that @gsmt47471015 cruise is the 30 USA cruise sailing on 6th Sept, which would seem to be the epitome of a longer more involved itinerary, so I don't understand why the enhanced testing is not needed for that cruise. Very confusing 

Cant quite understand it ourselves ,but at least its one thing less to deal with ( yes it is the USA/CANADA cruise)

• Like 1