S1 Concerns

ysarch

My wife and I are booked onto Celebrity Silhouette, our first Celebrity cruise. I am surprising her with a room upgrade so I can't ask her for advice. I am therefore asking the hive mind for advice. I have already upgraded to an S2 sky suite. I am considering spending a little more and getting an s1. Love the corner balcony, and second window in the room. But have some concerns that I cannot find answers to online anywhere. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am thinking of a lower deck for less motion with waves and because I have read that you may get noise from upstairs restaurant on the top floor, but it seems that the rear balconies are sloped to the point of people above and below being able to look up and down and see everyone else. Is this the case? The top floor seems to have a complete overhang, but I think that the lower floors can turn around and see quite easily. If I come out of the shower and want to step out on the balcony, that could he awkward.

I am also concerned about the exhaust from the ship being a constant part of the rear view from the ship. Our last cruise on RC we had a cabin towards the back and half of our view was a steady stream of black smoke. Not the greatest and certainly not something I want to pay extra for. 

What are your thoughts on these issues? Worth the upgrade or stick with s2? Opinions and descriptions, please. Thanks all!

Sorry for the long post.

I have not been in a corner aft Sky Suite but I have been in a corner aft cabin on the M-class ships and we love it (been there multiple times).

The only deck you'll need to worry about noise from deck 12 since it's directly below the Oceanview Cafe.  You should be fine on any other deck.  For me personally, I'd prefer to be on deck 9 or 10.  They are sufficiently squeezed passenger decks.  I wouldn't go lower than deck 8.  Ocean views are better a little higher.

You aren't going to get exhaust from the ship to interfere with your view.  We have had aft cabins on many S-class ships and that has never been an issue.  Occasionally, aft balconies in the middle of the back of the ship will get some soot but cabin attendants are good about cleaning any soot that may fall and this was never a constant problem for us.

What a lovely surprise for your wife.  You will have a great time. I'd pick the corner aft for myself  😉

• Like 1

In our experience, cabins 1665 and 1668 on deck 11 are the best aft suites on the Silhouette.  First, the decks above and below these cabins contain cabins and do not have the noise factor from public venues.  Second, we have never experienced a problem with the ship's exhaust on this deck though some have experienced soot on the balconies.  Third, the window washing equipment is NOT parked next to these two balconies.  We enjoy spending a lot of time on our balcony, and the balconies on 1665 and 1668 provide a great view of the wake AND the scenery on both sides of the ship.  You do not have complete privacy on either of these two balconies.  As to the ship's motion, forward cabins get the most, aft cabins get the second worse with middle cabins getting the least.  We will always choose cabin 1665 or 1668 on the Celebrity Silhouette.  

Edited by OUBaylor1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

I love true aft S2s on the higher decks. I think the corner S1s are too windy but others adore them. The lower you go, the smaller the balcony.

On S class; deck six is a very tiny balcony.  The others are the same size.  Deck 12 can have some scrapping noises due to the deck above.  The side/window washer is another concern, but I cannot remember which deck it is on at this time, though not on deck 11, as mentioned. I thoroughly enjoy S1 corner aft balconies.  There are round poles in the suites, but I have never had an issue with running into one!

6D06B4F7-AFA7-4BCC-B789-0C4717B416A2_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

Thanks all! Great info and the pictures definitely helped me visualize what's going on. From what I'm reading, decks 8-11 s1 cabins seem like the way to go. Maybe avoid 10 as some say the window washing equipment is there. I think I'm going to go for it. The extra window and wraparound balcony seem worth the extra bit to me...

15 hours ago, OUBaylor1 said:

In our experience, cabins 1665 and 1668 on deck 11 are the best aft suites on the Silhouette.  First, the decks above and below these cabins contain cabins and do not have the noise factor from public venues.  Second, we have never experienced a problem with the ship's exhaust on this deck though some have experienced soot on the balconies.  Third, the window washing equipment is NOT parked next to these two balconies.  We enjoy spending a lot of time on our balcony, and the balconies on 1665 and 1668 provide a great view of the wake AND the scenery on both sides of the ship.  You do not have complete privacy on either of these two balconies.  As to the ship's motion, forward cabins get the most, aft cabins get the second worse with middle cabins getting the least.  We will always choose cabin 1665 or 1668 on the Celebrity Silhouette.  

I agree, these are wonderful cabins, spectacular wake views. Never had an issue with wind nor soot. One thing to consider is the location to the elevators is a long walk, if you have any issues walking. Also don’t get deck 6 because the balcony is very small, I have read lots of complaints on here about it.

• Like 1

We had one of the corner S1 suites on Equinox.  The room size was amazing.  The two negatives we had were the cabin gets extremely hot when the sun is on the back of the ship and we did have a lot of black soot on our balcony and balcony furniture.  I personally prefer the S2.

14 minutes ago, spammie said:

We had one of the corner S1 suites on Equinox.  The room size was amazing.  The two negatives we had were the cabin gets extremely hot when the sun is on the back of the ship and we did have a lot of black soot on our balcony and balcony furniture.  I personally prefer the S2.

Were you cruising in the Caribbean or in Europe?  I have book S1's in Europe and have never had an issue with it being too hot, but some have mentioned that while in the Caribbean.  This is out of quite a few cruises in this type of suite.  Also, never had an issue on E-class either; however, the suites are different. Again, this is in Europe and NOT in the Caribbean.  I do not believe the OP shared the destination/itinerary.  You are not the first to mention this, and surely will not be the last.

Edited by Lastdance

We've enjoyed S1 corner aft cabins.  Large cabin, more than enough drawer and hanging space, wrap around balcony (but the extreme corners not really usable).  Aft cabins between the corners were designated C1, name now changed to Sunset.  These are the cabins those above can look down into the balcony, but in my experience (several aft bookings), only if standing by the rail.  Coming out a few feet from your cabin will not be a problem, no matter how you're (un)dressed....IMO.  Yes, it can be hot on deck in the afternoon in the Caribbean but we're usually elsewhere at that time.  Only experienced soot on occasion in aft cabins, not on the S1 (or the butler did a good job of removing it when needed).  Never booked an S2 but we're trying for the first time a S1 (port side) cabin on the Beyond, so we'll see if port or starboard is preferred over Aft.  Enjoy your holiday whichever suite you choose and lucky wife having such a thoughtful husband with a nice surprise.

9 hours ago, ysarch said:

Booked it! Deck 11. 1668. Caribbean cruise. Very excited. Thanks all for the great info!

I'm sure you'll love the location....we were never aware there were 'peekers' from above when in a corner suite...LOL. Celebrity Silhouette Penthouse deck (11).

Edited by Oceangoer2