Virgin DROPS Pre-Cruise Testing Effective Immediately, U.S. Included.

CruisingWalter

Virgin drops all pre-cruise testing as of July 24 for Valiant Lady and July 27 for Scarlet Lady. I believe this is the first for U.S. based cruises. The most interesting part of the announcement for me is no differentiation between vaxxed and unvaxxed passengers. I assumed unvaxxed passengers would still have to provide a negative test, but according to the note, they make no mention of that. 

https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well#general-information

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.34.05 AM.png

Edited by WheresWalter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Virgin drops all pre-cruise testing as of July 24 for Valiant Lady and July 27 for Scarlet Lady. I believe this is the first for U.S. based cruises. The most interesting part of the announcement for me is no differentiation between vaxxed and unvaxxed passengers. I assumed unvaxxed passengers would still have to provide a negative test, but according to the note, they make no mention of that. 

https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well#general-information

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.34.05 AM.png

Great news! One less thing to worry about 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Actually not the first US line to do so, but that's really not relevant to those of us on VV.

Who else already dropped testing requirements in the US? NCL dropped testing requirements in Europe but they have not updated their US policies yet. I just looked at their site and they're still requiring Negative Tests for all US based cruises.

One thing I will note: It's MUCH easier for VV to drop the testing requirements because they travel such limited itineraries that at this time, do not require a negative test to enter the countries. The other cruise lines visit many more islands with a patchwork of rules from their local governments. They will have a tougher time making a blanket "no testing required" protocol.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This is GREAT news. I'm on the July 27th cruise, first time on Virgin! Whoopie!

Hope you have an amazing time! look forward to hearing your experience !! 

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

Azamara announced something similar 2 days ago. It'll be interesting to see how/when/if the biggest cruiselines do or do not do this as well.

Nope.  Azamara's website still says they require tests for cruises out of the US.

18 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Hope you have an amazing time! look forward to hearing your experience !! 

Thanks. I just 31 days in Europe on the old Carnival Pride so this will be 180 degrees experience. 

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks. I just 31 days in Europe on the old Carnival Pride so this will be 180 degrees experience. 

wow! Fantastic! I have not been on a cruise before.. I booked my first one as a mega Rockstar on a sailing in Dec via Miami... keen to experience it.. I'm not huge party all night guy, I enjoy my sleep! so that be interesting!! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, karmamule said:

It's as of July 25.

image.thumb.png.a7c8ef5d0f74a7c30f034057cabc22fa.png

They only dropped it for certain ports.  Like Rome.  Which is the same thing that Viking and all of the NCL brands did weeks ago.

If you look at the Azamara website, you will see they still say it is required in the US.

image.thumb.png.3067512e3a14966f45921085caa41369.png

Azamara did not drop testing in the US (yet).  They still require tests in the US according to the  website.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

They only dropped it for certain ports.  Like Rome.  Which is the same thing that Viking and all of the NCL brands did weeks ago.

If you look at the Azamara website, you will see they still say it is required in the US.

image.thumb.png.3067512e3a14966f45921085caa41369.png

Azamara did not drop testing in the US (yet).  They still require tests in the US according to the  website.

Well with the CDC changes as of a couple days ago does that mean US ports as well, and this just hasn't been updated yet? I'm not cruising on Azamara so it doesn't affect me, but it'll be interesting to see if they do indeed list Miami as a 'No' after the CDC announcement.

1 minute ago, karmamule said:

Well with the CDC changes as of a couple days ago does that mean US ports as well, and this just hasn't been updated yet? I'm not cruising on Azamara so it doesn't affect me, but it'll be interesting to see if they do indeed list Miami as a 'No' after the CDC announcement.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens.  But so far, only Virgin Voyages has dropped testing in US ports, even though Viking, all the NCL brands, and now Azamara have said they only will do testing where required.

Royal/Celebrity is still doing testing in Europe, even though it's not required by local governments.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens.  But so far, only Virgin Voyages has dropped testing in US ports, even though Viking, all the NCL brands, and now Azamara have said they only will do testing where required.

Royal/Celebrity is still doing testing in Europe, even though it's not required by local governments.  

If Virgin sails out of Miami and is dropping testing, then that must mean Miami as a port doesn't require testing. Azamara will be contradicting themselves if they don't drop it!  Of course, consistency isn't always the rule when it comes to corporate or individual behavior. 😄

7 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

The most interesting part of the announcement for me is no differentiation between vaxxed and unvaxxed passengers. I assumed unvaxxed passengers would still have to provide a negative test, but according to the note, they make no mention of that. 

I'm not sure why vaccination status should matter any longer.  As Dr. Fauci has said, vaccinations don't protect against infection with the current dominant strain, but they do protect against serious illness.  Vaccinated people are now just as likely to contract and pass on Covid as unvaccinated people.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AndyUK said:

wow! Fantastic! I have not been on a cruise before.. I booked my first one as a mega Rockstar on a sailing in Dec via Miami... keen to experience it.. I'm not huge party all night guy, I enjoy my sleep! so that be interesting!! 

You can make the ship as quiet as you want to be. But depending on where your suite is, you may hear the big Scarlet Night party up on the pool deck. IT. IS. LOUD. 🙂  If your cabin is on Deck 14, you just may well hear it. Our aft Cheeky Corner Suite couldn't hear anything on Deck 12. But we are not all night party people either and we totally enjoyed the experience. Looking to book a Valiant Lady 8 nighter if we can while she's here for the winter season. 

2 hours ago, karmamule said:

If Virgin sails out of Miami and is dropping testing, then that must mean Miami as a port doesn't require testing. Azamara will be contradicting themselves if they don't drop it!  Of course, consistency isn't always the rule when it comes to corporate or individual behavior. 😄

The US ports never required testing, it was the CDC as part of the cruise program. That program was dropped on July 18th. Now the cruise lines can make their own rules for sailing out of the U.S.  The caveat to that is the local governments of the ports the ships sail to. VV has a very limited itinerary and all of their destinations no longer require a negative test to enter. Hence it was easy for VV to drop the testing in Miami. 

3 hours ago, karl_nj said:

VV dropped testing on Valiant Lady starting July 24. She's sailing out of Barcelona. 

3 hours ago, karmamule said:

No U.S. port required a negative test. It was the CDC that laid down that requirement. On July 18th they eliminated the Cruise Program so all U.S. ports do not require a negative test to enter them. Just like the CDC dropped the requirement of a negative test for U.S. citizens to return home from Europe via air travel.

The decision on whether to test or not now rests solely on the cruise lines themselves in coordination with the various destinations they travel to. If the destination requires a negative test for entry, then the cruise line will have to require a negative test to sail. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

You can make the ship as quiet as you want to be. But depending on where your suite is, you may hear the big Scarlet Night party up on the pool deck. IT. IS. LOUD. 🙂  If your cabin is on Deck 14, you just may well hear it. Our aft Cheeky Corner Suite couldn't hear anything on Deck 12. But we are not all night party people either and we totally enjoyed the experience. Looking to book a Valiant Lady 8 nighter if we can while she's here for the winter season. 

ah ha! Yea we are on Deck 15, same level as the pool for Scarlet night.... we are 4 cabins away from the pool. I suspect it be noisy that night , no problem I'm up for a party, just not 24/7 party! I embrace it and go with the flow!!!