Anyone back from July sailings on Crown Princess - Alaska?

llarsen

Hi,

We will be on the Crown Princess for our Alaska cruise Aug 6th.

I know the ship has been having propulsion problems and itinerary changes were made, but I do not see that they have changed our original itinerary for August sailings.

Does anyone know if they have fixed the problems with the Crown?

Did you hear anything on board the ship that they will be resuming regular itinerary?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not sure about Aug but here is latest info I saw:

Where is this vessel going to?
The vessel departed from HOONAH, US on 2022-07-20 20:40 LT (UTC -8) and is currently sailing at 18.3 knots with Southeast direction heading to VICTORIA, CA with reported Estimated Time of Arrival at 2022-07-22 17:30 LT (UTC -8) local time (in 4 hours, 44 minutes )
With this site you can follow Saturday's cruise.  The Juneau Webcam site with Hoonah is to foggy to see anything. 
sightcrr

• Like 1

Princess is being sneaky! Our itinerary has changed on the website for ours.

Day & Date Destination Duration
Sat, 08/20/22
+View Details
Sat, 08/20/22 Seattle, Washington
View general port information
Check In Starts At 12:00pm
  3:00pm
Sun, 08/21/22 At Sea   
Mon, 08/22/22 Juneau, Alaska 2:00pm  10:00pm
Tue, 08/23/22 Skagway, Alaska 7:00am  8:30pm
Wed, 08/24/22 Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), Alaska
Scenic Cruising
6:00am  3:00pm
Thu, 08/25/22 Icy Strait Point, Alaska 5:00pm  8:30pm
Fri, 08/26/22 Victoria, Canada 6:00pm  11:59pm
Sat, 08/27/22 Seattle, Washington
7:00am  
  • Like 1

Something about the posted itinerary looks suspect. Often G/B and ISP are done on the same day and not a day later. G/B to ISP in 26 hours looks odd.  8:30pm leaving ISP to 6 pm in Victoria seems pretty optimistic. 

My guess is that it should read Wed 8/24 ISP 5-8:30 Thur, At SEA. 

Then again who knows what it will be and it might be completely different. 

sightcrr

• Like 1

06 Aug itinerary now shows ISP on Wednesday. Thursday, what was Ketchikan, is now a full sea day.

Wed 08/10/22 Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), Alaska

Arrive 6:00am Depart 3:00pm
Wed 08/10/22 Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Arrive 5:00pm Depart 8:30pm
Edited by bofh
  • Like 1

Possibly explanation of itenerary changes. We Returned 7/9/22 from Alaska on Royal Princess (2week cruise). When we got into Skagway the first time, the cruise line reported that their had been a rock slide at the pier previously and we had to take shuttle boats into Skagway. That kind of thing may be causing itinerary changes due to the disruption.

Yet if Skagway was the cause I would have perhaps expected a change to those times. This smells of the continued propulsion problems on Crown as reported since ,what, May?

• Like 2

Time to start checking out what to do in ISP. With 5-8:30 I would think that you don't have time for whale watch. Figure out everything you can about the gondola systems. It is new this year so I can't make any recommendations. Call shore excursions and see if they have any tours that are of interest then check if booking on your own is any cheaper if they have a good cancel policy. While coming and going from port keep a close watch for whales. There may be some nature trails to look into. Not much to do beyond the pier area towards town. 

At one time Zip line was longest in the world and now in the world's top ten. 75 lbs is minimum weight to make sure kids make it to the bottom.

On this site the 6-camera view is from the top of the gondola. TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bofh said:

This smells of the continued propulsion problems on Crown as reported since ,what, May?

Yes, got the email notification for my August 20 cruise today.  "Because of operational reasons" (i.e., Princess would rather provide an inferior experience to the itinerary booked than take the ship out of service for repairs and rebook passengers on alternate sailings or offer refunds)...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Yes, got the email notification for my August 20 cruise today.  "Because of operational reasons" (i.e., Princess would rather provide an inferior experience to the itinerary booked than take the ship out of service for repairs and rebook passengers on alternate sailings or offer refunds)...

Got my email at 12:05 this morning for our Aug 6 sailing.  What Princess is doing concerning the Crown Princess is bordering on Fraud. They knew well before the start of the Alaska season that there were serious issues with the engines on the Crown and has done nothing to repair them. Yet Princess continues to sail this broken ship, cancels ports and excursions, and is still booking passengers for it while NOT informing them of the engine issues. Princess cares more about money than it does its passengers or guests. Shame on Princess!

•  

16 hours ago, bronzey214 said:

Princess is being sneaky! Our itinerary has changed on the website for ours.

Day & Date Destination Duration
Sat, 08/20/22
+View Details
Sat, 08/20/22 Seattle, Washington
Check In Starts At 12:00pm
  3:00pm
Sun, 08/21/22 At Sea   
Mon, 08/22/22 Juneau, Alaska 2:00pm  10:00pm
Tue, 08/23/22 Skagway, Alaska 7:00am  8:30pm
Wed, 08/24/22 Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), Alaska
Scenic Cruising
6:00am  3:00pm
Thu, 08/25/22 Icy Strait Point, Alaska 5:00pm  8:30pm
Fri, 08/26/22 Victoria, Canada 6:00pm  11:59pm
Sat, 08/27/22 Seattle, Washington
7:00am  

Wow! I just checked my account online and view itinerary under the Manage My Account tab and there are no changes. Yet if I search for this cruise as if to book it...there it is...they changed the itinerary and we still have not been notified!

15 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Something about the posted itinerary looks suspect. Often G/B and ISP are done on the same day and not a day later. G/B to ISP in 26 hours looks odd.  8:30pm leaving ISP to 6 pm in Victoria seems pretty optimistic. 

My guess is that it should read Wed 8/24 ISP 5-8:30 Thur, At SEA. 

Then again who knows what it will be and it might be completely different. 

sightcrr

I just looked on my account and the itinerary shows the original journey. But when I searched it as if to book a new cruise it shows the new itinerary with changes! Princess has not notified us! And you are correct, Glacier Bay and then onto Icy Strait.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 8.31.16 AM.png

14 hours ago, bofh said:

06 Aug itinerary now shows ISP on Wednesday. Thursday, what was Ketchikan, is now a full sea day.

Yep. This is ridiculous. We had to call Princess to correct one of our travel companions date of birth and asked if there were any itinerary changes planned for our sailing and they said "No itinerary changes". Ketchikan was the port we were most excited about. I am beyond disappointed in Princess that they would wait so long to notify passengers about a problem they have been well aware of, since this ships first sailing in May. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 8.31.16 AM.png

13 hours ago, shayv01 said:

Possibly explanation of itenerary changes. We Returned 7/9/22 from Alaska on Royal Princess (2week cruise). When we got into Skagway the first time, the cruise line reported that their had been a rock slide at the pier previously and we had to take shuttle boats into Skagway. That kind of thing may be causing itinerary changes due to the disruption.

Nope, they are still having the problem they have had since May with propulsion and just hang people out to dry by not being honest with their passengers. 

10 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I can't believe it. I received an email yesterday that says "It's almost showtime. Entertainment for everyone" Not one mention that our itinerary has changed. We are traveling with 2 other couples and have not spoken to them yet today, but I think they would have called me if they had received notification because this has been the subject of our conversation many times.

4 hours ago, MrBreeze said:

Got my email at 12:05 this morning for our Aug 6 sailing.  What Princess is doing concerning the Crown Princess is bordering on Fraud. They knew well before the start of the Alaska season that there were serious issues with the engines on the Crown and has done nothing to repair them. Yet Princess continues to sail this broken ship, cancels ports and excursions, and is still booking passengers for it while NOT informing them of the engine issues. Princess cares more about money than it does its passengers or guests. Shame on Princess!

•  

The only email I received yesterday was about the "Entertainment for everyone." Not one word about itinerary changes. We had called Princess a week ago to make a change to a birthdate for one of our travel companions and asked if there were going to be any itinerary changes for our sailing date. They said 'No itinerary changes." I am so disappointed in Princess. They have known about this ships problems since it's first return to service in May. Ketchikan was the port we were most excited about. We planned to see the bears and salmon with a forest hike. There better be some serious future cruise credit for their deceit. Although I don't think I would trust planning another trip with Princess.

Well, I just got my email notification at 9:02am with our itinerary changes.

There is nothing we can do at this point, and we will enjoy seeing our travel companions. 

But my disappointment is that we selected this ship for the ITINERARY. We were originally booked on the Discovery and switched to the Crown for the ITINERARY. An itinerary that Princess has known since May that they would not be able to keep. 

Princess loves to say "Thank you for your Loyalty." It goes both ways, and I wish I could say "Thank you for your Honesty." 

• Like 1

Noticed the itinerary change last night for the Aug 20 cruise to Alaska and contacted Princess this morning and had them rebook cruise for Aug 21 on the Discovery. All itinerary is the same as what the Crown was originally. The perk is the Discovery is there newest ship so should be a great trip. Looks like a lot of people are changing to the Aug 21st cruise.  Made two phone calls and was able to talk to someone who was a decision maker and could make the change without any additional charges. Of course I did need to change my flight and hotel accommodations but don't want to be stuck at sea on a broken ship. 

• Like 1

Now time to figure out Juneau. 2-10. Sunset is about 9. Whatever you plan check the hours that tours/busses run and things are open. Sunset whale tour after glacier visit is first thing that comes to mind. Maybe call Costal Helo and see if they have something. If they do you will never forget the tour but it will be pricey. 

Forgot to add 4-7 Aug the Blue Angles will be in Seattle for air show so keep your ears & eyes open for fly overs. 

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, bofh said:

3 1/2 whole hours in Icy Point.  Why bother!!!!

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

3 1/2 whole hours in Icy Point.  Why bother!!!!

DON

So they can say they replaced Ketchikan with another port.

Granted, the 6 hours we were scheduled in Ketchikan isn't significantly longer, and any time in any port will be reduced by at least 45 minutes when you account for allowing time for the ship to be cleared for disembarkation and all aboard time being 30 minutes before departure.

Is anyone on this thread ever cruise on Princess anywhere ever again?  If so why.  I just don't understand why people get royally sc**** by a cruise line and then come back and cruise on the line again.  Princess isn't the only line out there and the loyalty benefits whatever they are just can't be worth having another lousy time.

DON

Just got off the Crown yesterday. We averaged about 18 knots. Lots of vibration especially in dining room. We had a medivac situation which caused the ship to be diverted northeast to meet the helicopter. We didn’t arrive in Victoria until around 10pm. Lots of people upset about missed excursions.Went  on the bear excursion in Icy strait point which was fun but they were late getting us back to the ship. Thank god it was a princess excursion. I never dreamed we would be dock runners! The tram met the bus and whisked us off to the ship. I wont be sailing Princess again. $200 onboard credit was a joke for all the itinerary changes and missed ports. Going back to Royal and celebrity.

• Like 1