Dinner on Balcony?

ronmar22

1 hour ago, Holly g said:

Perhaps Celebrity frowns on eating on your balcony thus the small low tables. Why else wouldn’t there be a decent size table to eat at   

So far we have never actually used room service for a 'meal' as there just isn't any practical way for two people to eat in most of the cabins or the balcony, due to the very poor furniture choices 😞

• Like 1

Another advantage of buffet is you don't have to dress up. Hubby uses a wheelchair and changing into long pants for dinner is a chore if he's been wearing shorts all day. My guess is we will be eating at the buffet most nights. Glad to know the food there is good!

8 hours ago, Holly g said:

Perhaps Celebrity frowns on eating on your balcony thus the small low tables. Why else wouldn’t there be a decent size table to eat at   

Well, after seeing a few pictures of the furniture on the balcony, I see what you all have been saying about there not being a suitable table for dining,  We had an aft balcony on Princess 2 years ago and it had a larger table where dinner fit was easy.  Not so on the Millie.  So we love the Buffet idea even better now.  !5 day cruise and, Of course, we still plan on MDR most nights and will do the Tuscan also.  Thanks all for your input.

On 7/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, TeeRick said:

You can order dinner through room service and have it on your balcony.  But no butler to set it up for you if not in a suite.

Please be aware with the "revolutionized" (refurbishments) that the wonderful size tables have been replaced with much smaller and lower tables!  Might not be conducive to enjoying a nice dinner without a decent height table!

On 7/22/2022 at 2:28 AM, Holly g said:

We enjoyed having our breakfast one morning on the Mediterranean on the Reflection ship.  So wonderful!

I enjoyed many lunches and a dinner or two on my balcony just a few doors down - I had the corner FV for a B2B2B I did. On Celebrity, any cabin can order from the MDR menu when the MDR is open, but as has been pointed out it will not be served course-by-course as it is in a Suite. 

I was lucky in that I had the best stateroom attendant ever, but my cabin had a taller table on it. Maybe they do this for the corner FVs since they have more room. Oddly, when I reboarded for the Panama Canal I had a tall table on my corner FV (thank you, MoveUp bid) but my parents did not on theirs on the opposite side and a deck away. Their (awful) stateroom attendant said I must be in a suite - his reaction when I pointed to my balcony just across the way priceless. Their new attendant  found something that was suitable (looked like from the kids' club or workshop) and put it there which my parents really appreciated with my Mom's mobility struggles on such a long cruise. Sometimes a late afternoon room service order becomes dinner!

On 7/22/2022 at 4:49 AM, GRBlizz said:

Another advantage of buffet is you don't have to dress up. Hubby uses a wheelchair and changing into long pants for dinner is a chore if he's been wearing shorts all day. My guess is we will be eating at the buffet most nights. Glad to know the food there is good!

We love eating at the evening buffet. Food is very good and it is quiet. You will see the ship officers eating there.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, amcco said:

I agree with LMaxwell.

The tables on the balconies are quite small and low as well. This picture is from a recent review. We did room service breakfast on the older style and still found we were holding our plates in our laps. 

The buffet will occasionally have a local cuisine theme. On one of our Caribbean cruises they had Jamaican theme on that port day. 

• celebrity-millennium.jpg?w=700&h=700&s=1

Just a suggestion.   This cabin looks plenty big to hold a proper table.   In this case we would ask our room steward to get us a regular table.  He/she has always obliged, along with a lovey table cloth and for the rest of the cruise we have a place for breakfast as well.  

We love having dinner occasionally on our aft balcony (weather permitting).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, itsanita said:

Just a suggestion.   This cabin looks plenty big to hold a proper table.   In this case we would ask our room steward to get us a regular table.  He/she has always obliged, along with a lovey table cloth and for the rest of the cruise we have a place for breakfast as well.  

That is probably easier on the ships that have not been renovated but when they are renovated and the larger tables are removed there probably won't be regular tables to "borrow" from a empty cabin

On 7/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, LMaxwell said:

Have you experienced the dinner buffet?  There are outdoor tables at the Oceanview Cafe (when/if Celebrity decides to have specialty dining al fresco these would be far and away the most expensive seats in the house with the best views.  They are free currently).  and there's a large assortment of appetizers, charcuterie, side dishes, and desserts you won't find in the MDR.  My suggestion; try it one night and instead of your cabin, just use the outdoor tables.  You'll be next to a bar and there is soft-drink service during dinner time.  I just find the "table" on balconies to be sufficent for 2 cups of coffee, but not for dining.  

Alternative option for your consideration instead of going to a bar here and there, waiting on room service, etc.  Enjoy 

We were pleasantly surprised when cruising in Europe to find that the buffet often had fresh food from on shore--fresh mussels, one night, for example.  So check it out.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:28 AM, Holly g said:

Once upon a time they did have real tables on the balconies.  Then Ms. Hoppen got her mits on things and everything went south.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That is probably easier on the ships that have not been renovated but when they are renovated and the larger tables are removed there probably won't be regular tables to "borrow" from a empty cabin

1 hour ago, itsanita said:

Our aft facing balcony is plenty large enough so I actually gave this a thought to see what happens.  All they can say is no.  We actually sailed on the Millennium many years ago and had the same cabin.  Of course that was before revolution updates and the bigger tables may very well be history.

6 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Once upon a time they did have real tables on the balconies.  Then Ms. Hoppen got her mits on things and everything went south.

Agree.   This was her idea for balcony furniture on the Summit in a SS

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

BE2236E9-B475-4F1C-B18E-16B770AFC414.jpeg

On 7/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, itsanita said:

This was an aft cabin on the Edge.   Little table on the balcony, but he brought me a very nice table for us to eat on.   Ask!!  All they can say is no!

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

The 1st photo is the table our butler on the Edge got us for our sky suite March 2019. 2nd photo is another photo from S Class ship from years ago having breakfast on the balcony.

IMG_20190305_142125093.thumb.jpg.9e729ba81598848243aa741bf4c2c755.jpg

balcony.thumb.png.74bc99882f5c515ca61ee6712efe53a7.png

On 7/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, itsanita said:

This was an aft cabin on the Edge.   Little table on the balcony, but he brought me a very nice table for us to eat on.   Ask!!  All they can say is no!

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Looks like the pic did not come through...will try again. 

table 2.jpg

table.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 2:29 AM, sbcs5390 said:

I enjoyed many lunches and a dinner or two ...

On Celebrity, any cabin can order from the MDR menu when the MDR is open,

Sorry to have to ask this question, "sbcs5390," but ...

Can anyone confirm or deny what we have highlighted in green, above?

We know, for sure, that the above is true of MDR dinners (delivery by Room Service after about 6 PM) ... but is it also true of the lunches that are served in the MDR?  We always thought -- perhaps mistakenly -- that we could not order, via Room Service, from the MDR menu during the lunch hours.  Thanks.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:49 AM, GRBlizz said:

Should not be a problem for him with shorts.  Simply use a lightweight throw to cover his legs.  Remove as desired in the MDR.  Same if one has a foot in a cast.  Definately pants challenged.  No problem

LOL-- From past experience--- no more meals on the balcony except maybe the odd time a club sandwich, fries, and diet coke after returning from shopping, oops, checking out the shops that Celebrity " suggests " --- you know, the ones that " kick back " xx% for " recommending "

( ? )them. 

We prefer to be served breakfast and dinner in a dining room and eat lunch at the Spa Café. 

Notice-- If anyone finds a soaking wet baseball hat with a Montreal Canadiens logo on it , it's mine from our first, and only, breakfast on our balcony.