Question about no show vs cancellation

snowdogsmm

My husband and I are going to be LA in November and I want to add a short cruise to the end of our visit.  My husband doesn't know if he wants to go yet.  Pricing is almost the same for 1 person as it is for two so my question is can I keep the reservation for both us and then if he decides not to go he would be a no show?  I'm thinking the port fees and taxes would be refunded for him making it possibly cheaper than reserving as a solo.  Has anyone done that before?

1 hour ago, snowdogsmm said:

My husband and I are going to be LA in November and I want to add a short cruise to the end of our visit.  My husband doesn't know if he wants to go yet.  Pricing is almost the same for 1 person as it is for two so my question is can I keep the reservation for both us and then if he decides not to go he would be a no show?  I'm thinking the port fees and taxes would be refunded for him making it possibly cheaper than reserving as a solo.  Has anyone done that before?

That is how I would do it.  Never done it intentionally but several times someone couldn’t go, so unless they had insurance we just let them be a no show. No worries about a price adjustment or having Carnival switch our cabin on us.  

Snowdogsmm, I have done exactly as you are considering.  DH decided he really didn’t want to go on the cruise, so I didn’t say anything till they asked at check-in.  I said he wasn’t feeling well and couldn’t come.  No more questions asked.  I sailed solo, and his taxes & port fees were refunded to our credit card.  However, a few people have mentioned on these boards in the past several months that they have been charged a no-show fee.  $250 was mentioned.  I can’t confirm that, but things may have changed.

2 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Snowdogsmm, I have done exactly as you are considering.  DH decided he really didn’t want to go on the cruise, so I didn’t say anything till they asked at check-in.  I said he wasn’t feeling well and couldn’t come.  No more questions asked.  I sailed solo, and his taxes & port fees were refunded to our credit card.  However, a few people have mentioned on these boards in the past several months that they have been charged a no-show fee.  $250 was mentioned.  I can’t confirm that, but things may have changed.

I've never heard of a no show fee. Sounds like a rumor to me and something more was involved.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I think it was a misunderstanding.  Yes, the no show person will lose their entire fare, including the deposit, and it doesn't matter who paid for it.    

11 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I think it was a misunderstanding.  Yes, the no show person will lose their entire fare, including the deposit, and it doesn't matter who paid for it.    

That has always been my understanding.  I was surprised to see a couple of people posting in the last several months saying they had been charged a no-show fee. Sounds like it’s just a rumor or the people posting that misunderstood.

2 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

That has always been my understanding.  I was surprised to see a couple of people posting in the last several months saying they had been charged a no-show fee. Sounds like it’s just a rumor or the people posting that misunderstood.

The person who posted that actually told Carnival that their other person was cancelling.  So, they put through a cancellation.  That's what she interpreted to be a "no-show fee."  

OP, just don't say anything or when asked, you don't know when they are coming.

Not sure when he'll make the decision, but you can also leave the reservation as "TBA" (book for 2 but not enter his info) until the online checkin process.  If he'll know by then, you can either delete the TBA with a quick call or add his name to continue the online check in.

• Like 1