Why NEXUS Offices Remain Closed in Canada

Fouremco

According to an article in today's Ottawa Citizen, American officials are not providing the required US CBP officers for the enrolment centres in Canada because they aren't allowed to be armed. While CBP officers can be armed when working in locations where Canada's CBSA officers are allowed to wear sidearms, neither would normally carry weapons in the enrolment centres. Hopefully sanity will prevail and the offices will reopen soon without armed officers. https://epaper.ottawacitizen.com/article/281883007077024

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Fouremco changed the title to Why NEXUS Offices Remain Closed in Canada

I made my renewal Nexus appointment as soon as the portal opened last April.  I received my appointment date for July 6 in Blaine WA. My new Nexus card arrived last week.   One difference this time around is you don’t receive a retina scan just finger prints.  I asked about the reason and neither US CBP nor CBSA would answer me.  Anyway be persistent in checking the Nexus website as appointments do show up.  

25 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

I made my renewal Nexus appointment as soon as the portal opened last April.  I received my appointment date for July 6 in Blaine WA. My new Nexus card arrived last week.   One difference this time around is you don’t receive a retina scan just finger prints.  I asked about the reason and neither US CBP nor CBSA would answer me.  Anyway be persistent in checking the Nexus website as appointments do show up.  

Absolutely, keep checking. I checked many times a week and actually changed my appointment three times, from October to August in Vermont, to last week, when one opened up at the big NY border station an hour from my house. Drove down two days ago and was out in less than 20 minutes.  Card arrives next week, though its "start" date is actually two years ago when my current one actually expired.  So I have to renew in 2025 instead of 2027.  Good thing my credit card pays for it .;o)

9 hours ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

One difference this time around is you don’t receive a retina scan just finger prints.

I have NEXUS and, after cataract surgery where the lens were changed, I called to ask if this would be an issue.  I was told then they no longer use the Iris scan but no explanation.

14 minutes ago, Senga said:

I have NEXUS and, after cataract surgery where the lens were changed, I called to ask if this would be an issue.  I was told then they no longer use the Iris scan but no explanation.

They’re using facial recognition now.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Hmm.. they renewed our cards without a new interview, and we have iris scans not facial recognition from initial application. How will this be managed? A turn around time frame, or will we be pooched at the Nexus line? 

This is how it updated for me:

Flew into YYZ and inserted my NEXUS card into the kiosk.  It then asked me to scan my passport and returned the message that my information was now updated. Easy peasy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2