Just got on the Pride and not impressed so far

Eli_6

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

OT: 

Here's a link to a new Carnival Legend review. Looks like the Pride isn't the only Spirit Class ship that is in dire need of renovation.

My daughter and son-law sailed 2 weeks ago on the Legend out of Baltimore.

They had a great time, didn't mention any rust or elevators not working or toilets not flushing or any problems at all.

The only negative they talked about was the one hour wait to get into the Baltimore parking area.

Food was good, entertainment good,  etc

Sailing on the Pride in 2 weeks so I will let you know how good it is.  But I won't be running around the ship and taking pictures of rust spots or railing that need varnishing.

We will be there to enjoy ourselves

Edited by M&A
  • Like 2

Sometimes I wonder if it's people are so used to shiny and new megaships their perspective is off.

A good chunk of Non US folk sail on much older ships each season and are fine with it. 

I would take an older ship with better passenger ratios and space over some of the new stack em high vessels.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's people are so used to shiny and new megaships their perspective is off.

A good chunk of Non US folk sail on much older ships each season and are fine with it. 

I would take an older ship with better passenger ratios and space over some of the new stack em high vessels.

I have to agree.  We sat out on our balcony on the Pride & didn’t notice it was very dirty.  Everything was in working order.  My only complaint was the food was meh except for Chefs Table.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, rusky123 said:

Is there always a lack of taxis at Dover Priory, we are travelling from Swansea to Dover on the 2nd for the Rome sailing. We are cutting it a little fine time wise and getting worried.

Yes & no. We came down the night before our cruise. We arrived on July 9 and waited about 30 minutes.  We were told it was EID so all the drivers took the day off(?).  At the restaurant that evening, the server gave us her boyfriend’s card he was starting a private driver service.  We booked him to take us to the cruise ship.  

Other  times I hear they’re lined up waiting.

Edited by bunnyette

The last time we were on the Pride was a few years ago out of Baltimore. For anyone that used the gym wondering what repair the machines were in. I remember many ellipticals out of order, many TVs not working on the treadmill, and a few of the cables broken on the weight machines for the length of the cruise. I would think that the cables are an easy fix but not done for the duration of 10 day cruise. Perhaps they were waiting for a drydock?

1 hour ago, grimpil said:

The last time we were on the Pride was a few years ago out of Baltimore. For anyone that used the gym wondering what repair the machines were in. I remember many ellipticals out of order, many TVs not working on the treadmill, and a few of the cables broken on the weight machines for the length of the cruise. I would think that the cables are an easy fix but not done for the duration of 10 day cruise. Perhaps they were waiting for a drydock?

Nothing has been updated in the gym. Nothing. There were broken treadmills, ellipticals, and rowers. There's one elliptical where there's no bottom in the bottle holder which I remember was like that years ago, so that still the same. 

Edit: In the Locker room half of the lockers the electronic locks don't work. The steam and sauna worked fine and overall the locker room was always in clean condition. Showers were fine.  

Edited by kwokpot

2 hours ago, grimpil said:

While I had a great time and like Carnival - I will admit, by the time my cruised ended - 4 of the 10 treadmills were operational.  That's pretty bad.   At least they have a nice selection of free weights.

On a different topic, I was also surprised at how full the gym hot tub was vs. the hot tub on the Lido.  Packed in the gym and very open on the Lido, which was kinda nice.

Edited by fuddrules

1 hour ago, fuddrules said:

On a different topic, I was also surprised at how full the gym hot tub was vs. the hot tub on the Lido.  Packed in the gym and very open on the Lido, which was kinda nice.

Edited

Yes, agreed, the gym hot tub would be always packed when I use the gym every afternoon. There's always some guy(and always a guy) that would kinda hold court and dominate every conversation. Kinda weird. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuddrules said:

At least they have a nice selection of free weights.

Agree, but that area that they're located in is so tiny and not enough room. I usually take the dumbbells I need and go down one level where the ab crunch machine is located. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:20 AM, coldinerie said:

Would love to hear from the original poster El_6 about how her trip was on the ship other than tendering issues.  I have read your posts in the past and found them to be fair and interesting.  Any thoughts, updates?? 

^^^^This!

On 8/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, M&A said:

My daughter and son-law sailed 2 weeks ago on the Legend out of Baltimore.

They had a great time, didn't mention any rust or elevators not working or toilets not flushing or any problems at all.

The only negative they talked about was the one hour wait to get into the Baltimore parking area.

Food was good, entertainment good,  etc

Sailing on the Pride in 2 weeks so I will let you know how good it is.  But I won't be running around the ship and taking pictures of rust spots or railing that need varnishing.

We will be there to enjoy ourselves

I did not run around the ship taking picture of rust spots or railings that need varnishing ~ it's just observations as we went through our days on the ship.  We've sailed the Legend before and at those times the food was better as was the particular entertainment staff.  

13 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

The Pride (previously) and now the Legend are our homeport ships so we have sailed them before.  We have also sailed the much larger ships and my perspective is not "off".  I gave an honest review of this past trip.  On previous trips on the Pride and Legend our experiences were different, especially concerning food quality and the entertainment talent.  We have had similar experiences on the larger ships too.  

We are not picky people, but we do know when we are eating fatty foods and of course we have our own opinions on what we like talent-wise ~ it just so happens that on this particular sailing we felt things were off for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grimpil said:

We have experienced this with the gym on both the Pride and the Legend.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:39 AM, rusky123 said:

Is there always a lack of taxis at Dover Priory, we are travelling from Swansea to Dover on the 2nd for the Rome sailing. We are cutting it a little fine time wise and getting worried.

No.  It was specific to the day I boarded. When I debarked, there was no issue. I don't know all of the details, but according to the news there was some sort of  incident involving French border control or something that caused the massive pile up of cars and big rigs that basically shut down all of the roads going into Dover which, in turn, meant that buses/cabs/etc. could not get to the port to pick people up. It was cleared out by the time we debarked and we made it from the ship to Heathrow in 1.5 hours.  

• Like 1

Ok, so I posted an update and while I was working on the post, my contractor (I am having work done on my house) came and got me and I pushed submit reply but somehow I guess it didn't go through as I am not seeing the post.  On top of that, I am now not seeing another update I made.  May be my internet as I am having work done on my house.  So, if the other one shows up, I apologize that there are multiple posts.

Re the aggressive guy at debark:

My husband complained about the situation at debark and the guy manhandling my kid to both guest services and then to security.  They paid lip service to him saying "Oh yeah that should not have happened" and then we heard nothing afterwards. Ironically enough, we got an apology letter for our shower being broken for the week and nothing on the other.  I didn't even care about the shower and only reported it so the next person would have a working shower... I showered in my kids' room all week so it was no skin off my back. 

Since I never heard anything back, I emailed guest services (and found Christine Duffy's email and emailed her, too) about the incident with the aggressive guy leaving a bruise on my kid.  I sent a pic of the bruise. Someone called me, said they would investigate and get back with me by the beginning of this week. It is Friday and I have heard absolutely nothing back. Crickets.  I emailed yet again. Nothing.  I am not threatening to sue. I am not asking for FCC. I am not asking for anything from Carnival other than I want to know the guy will be talked to/better trained and this won't happen to someone else.  I have not been given that assurance or any sort of update.  So, in summary, even though I currently have 5 future cruises booked (including one already fully paid) totaling over 5k in money I will likely lose, I am still most likely going to cancel those bookings and lose the money.  Not completely sure yet as I hate to lose money, but I also don't want a repeat of this situation.   

For those accusing me of lying or exaggerating: I literally deleted the post because I knew someone would say that and I didn't want to be attacked.  Someone else had already quoted it and reposted.  So, I have no clue why you would think I was making the story up.  What is more, I am a Carnival stockholder and have been on many cruises with Carnival. This was our 5th since the restart.  Why in the world would I lie to make a brand that I own stock in look bad?  And why would I be considering losing about 5k in deposits and funds paid on future bookings had not the experience been really bad???  Makes no sense.  I am not crazy or stupid.  But if you still want to think that for some reason I am making all of this up, go ahead. It isn't any skin off my back.  

As for the problems with embarking and Dover:  The roads were clear on the way back.  Per the reports I saw on the BBC discussing the issue later on and the fact it was not a problem when we debarked or the weekend after that, I think this was something that was a specific problem to July 22nd. Something having to do with the French. I am guessing people won't be put in a warehouse in the future or have to walk unless something similar happens again. 

The boat's condition was NOT completely horrible. I never said it was. I said other people complaining about it weren't wrong, though. And that is the truth. The Pride looks its age.  It is need of a freshening up in parts.  In fact, I think it is scheduled for one soon.  That is all.  Conclude from that what you will.   

Also, the situation with the spa worker and the guy at debark were not even remotely on the same level.  The guy in the spa was bitchy. Had I not already had such an ordeal with embarking, I probably would have let his rudeness roll of my back but it upset me because it had already been a really stressful day just trying to get to the ship and board.  And it was unexpected and a stark departure from what is the norm on CCL ships where they usually bend over backwards to help you.  On the other hand, the guy who manhandled my son was aggressive and literally got physical with us.  Not even remotely in the same category as the spa worker--he was much worse.  And they were seven days apart...not the next day.  This was a 9 day cruise. The sailing after ours was 12 days. And I was not the only cruiser who noticed some rude workers.  Frankly, even my cabin steward was pretty curt with me on a couple of ocassions. (My sheets had stains on them and smelled like smoke. I asked for two days for them to be changed. On the third day, seeing he was busy, I asked him to just give me the sheets and I would change them. He barked at me, "I said I would change them when I am not busy." Other times, he was really nice. My guess is that they are overworked, overtired, and stressed.   I can excuse being curt. I can't excuse putting your hands on a child.  

Someone asked if it had not been for the debark situation would I cruise the Pride again in Europe?  Here is my answer: Had I not had that situation in Dublin, I probably would have kept my booking for next year that I had already deposited and had FCC on for the Pride for next year.  However, I would not have made new bookings.  And I probably would have continued to cruise on Carnival US sailings. 

However, even excluding the completely inappropriate debark/aggressive guy, I still felt like overall that Carnival forced its European schedule. I don't think they had enough staff (in fact, they only had about 50 percent staff but were at 85 percent guest capacity), I don't think the staff was properly trained and up to CCL's normal standards, and I don't think they had properly prepared for the debark/embark situation at the ports. 

Edited by Eli_6
To add/correct as posted too soon.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Ok, so I posted an update and while I was working on the post, my contractor (I am having work done on my house) came and got me and I pushed submit reply but somehow I guess it didn't go through as I am not seeing the post.  On top of that, I am now not seeing another update I made.  May be my internet as I am having work done on my house.  So, if the other one shows up, I apologize that there are multiple posts.

Re the aggressive guy at debark:

My husband complained about the situation at debark and the guy manhandling my kid to both guest services and then to security.  They paid lip service to him saying "Oh yeah that should not have happened" and then we heard nothing afterwards. Ironically enough, we got an apology letter for our shower being broken for the week and nothing on the other.  I didn't even care about the shower and only reported it so the next person would have a working shower... I showered in my kids' room all week so it was no skin off my back. 

Since I never heard anything back, I emailed guest services (and found Christine Duffy's email and emailed her, too) about the incident with the aggressive guy leaving a bruise on my kid.  I sent a pic of the bruise. Someone called me, said they would investigate and get back with me by the beginning of this week. It is Friday and I have heard absolutely nothing back. Crickets.  I emailed yet again. Nothing.  I am not threatening to sue. I am not asking for FCC. I am not asking for anything from Carnival other than I want to know the guy will be talked to/better trained and this won't happen to someone else.  I have not been given that assurance or any sort of update.  So, in summary, even though I currently have 5 future cruises booked (including one already fully paid) totaling over 5k in money I will likely lose, I am still most likely going to cancel those bookings and lose the money.  Not completely sure yet as I hate to lose money, but I also don't want a repeat of this situation.   

For those accusing me of lying or exaggerating: I literally deleted the post because I knew someone would say that I didn't want to be attacked.  Someone else had already quoted it and reposted.  So, I have no clue why you would think I was making the story up.  What is more, I am a Carnival stockholder and have been on many cruises with Carnival. This was our 5th since the restart.  Why in the world would I lie to make a brand that I own stock in look bad?  And why would I be considering losing about 5k in deposits and funds paid on future bookings had not the experience been really bad???  Makes no sense.  I am not crazy or stupid.  But if you still want to think that for some reason I am making all of this up, go ahead. It isn't any skin off my back.  

As for the problems with embarking and Dover:  The roads were clear on the way back.  Per the reports I saw on the BBC discussing the issue later on and the fact it was not a problem when we debarked or the weekend after that, I think this was something that was a specific problem to July 22nd. Something having to do with the French. I am guessing people won't be put in a warehouse in the future or have to walk unless something similar happens again. 

The boat's condition was NOT completely horrible. I never said it was. I said other people complaining about it weren't wrong, though. And that is the truth. The Pride looks its age.  It is need of a freshening up in parts.  In fact, I think it is scheduled for one soon.  That is all.  Conclude from that what you will.   

Also, the situation with the spa worker and the guy at debark were not even remotely on the same level.  The guy in the spa was bitchy. Had I not already had such an ordeal with embarking, I probably would have let his rudeness roll of my back but it upset me because it had already been a really stressful day just trying to get to the ship and board.  And it was unexpected and a stark departure from what is the norm on CCL ships where they usually bend over backwards to help you.  On the other hand, the guy who manhandled my son was aggressive and literally got physical with us.  Not even remotely in the same category as the spa worker--he was much worse.  And they were seven days apart...not the next day.  This was a 9 day cruise. The sailing after ours was 12 days. And I was not the only cruiser who noticed some rude workers.  Frankly, even my cabin steward was pretty curt with me on a couple of ocassions. (My sheets had stains on them and smelled like smoke. I asked for two days for them to be changed. On the third day, seeing he was busy, I asked him to just give me the sheets and I would change them. He barked at me, "I said I would change them when I am not busy." Other times, he was really nice. My guess is that they are overworked, overtired, and stressed.   I can excuse being curt. I can't excuse putting your hands on a child.  

Someone asked if it had not been for the debark situation would I cruise the Pride again in Europe?  Here is my answer: Had I not had that situation in Dublin, I probably would have kept my booking for next year that I had already deposited and had FCC on for the Pride for next year.  However, I would not have made new bookings.  And I probably would have continued to cruise on Carnival US sailings. 

However, even excluding the completely inappropriate debark/aggressive guy, I still felt like overall that Carnival forced its European schedule. I don't think they had enough staff (in fact, they only had about 50 percent staff but were at 85 percent guest capacity), I don't think the staff was properly trained and up to CCL's normal standards, and I don't think they had properly prepared for the debark/embark situation at the ports. 

Eli_6, Thank you for taking the time to come back and reply, even (I'm guessing) typing it all over again when it didn't post the first time (been there), and with everything you've got going on right now with the contractors working on your house (been there and am there right now, coincidentally).  Some posters here are such diehard Carnival Cheerleaders that they cannot refrain from attacking the poster that reports anything even slightly negative about their beloved cruiseline.  It can be disheartening and insulting (been there, too).  I, and many others here I'm sure, believe you and appreciate your report.  Not all of us CCL shareholders are hateful, blind cheerleaders😉.

ETA: I wish I could click "Like" AND "Thanks" to your post.  But I had to choose only one, so I just now changed my "Like" to "Thanks", because that is my overwhelming feeling to your post.😊

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 10

On 8/5/2022 at 6:39 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Which is less busy?  July and August?  Why is that?

I think because students go on summer break at the end of July and August and are still in school in June.  Apparently, July 22nd was the first day off for "summer" break for kids in Kent.  I did not know this when I booked the cruise. So, basically, you had the normal number of big rigs trying to cross to France and on top of that you had a massive number of vacationers trying to go from the UK to France.  Then, because of the UK leaving the European Union, they recently started requiring complete passport checks for people going from Dover to France on the ferrys.  Then apparently for some reason only like 2 border control agents showed up to work.  Not sure if they had Covid, or had a strike, or what.  French border control (which is in Dover and on the UK side) only had like 2 of 8 car lines open.  Or something like that. I don't recall all the details or even know all the details...or even care.  The British media blamed the French saying they were not properly staffing their border control. The French blamed the British saying it was because they left the EU. Then there started being people running out of gas on the road, and accidents and even more problems...and emergency vehicles couldn't get to the accidents timely.  Then they closed down one major road because of it.  All I know is that it resulted in basically a complete gridlock where no vehicles could go anywhere.  Whatever the cause, it was cleared by the time we got back 9 days later and it appears everything is functioning normally.  Maybe the French border patrol showed back up to work. IDK.  I live in Houston which is known to have some of the worse traffic in the nation and literally drove like one of the most dangerous highways in the nation every day to work and this was next level even to anything I had ever seen before.  It was insane.  Makes me think maybe the US isn't quite as bad as everyone says...  

• Like 3

As an aside, I never thought that Carnival was to blame for the traffic.  What I did think was that when it became apparent that they could not debark normally in the morning (because debark started at 5:30-ish am), they should have done something to plan for all of the passengers they knew would be arriving at 10, 10:30, 11 am, etc. to embark.  They did nothing.  Carnival, in fact, DID make phone calls and sent out emails later in the day to all passengers (we got the message) when they pushed debark time back so they could have made that same call to tell us to hold off coming to the port.  It isn't that hard. If they could do one, they could do the other.   

But, really, even the embark situation is low on my list of things wrong with this cruise.  Yes, they could have handled it better but it wasn't the end of the world.  I probably was more annoyed by it than I normally would have been because I had just walked a mile pulling my luggage and my kids' luggage.  In the heirarchy of my complaints about this cruise, it was low on my list.    

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

The British... blamed the French... The French blamed the British...

And so it has been for almost a thousand years, and so it will be for a thousand more.🤣

Disclaimer: England, France: I love you both.  Maybe one more than the other, but I'm not gonna say which.😋

ELI, I am so happy you have responded, and I as a mother I and so sorry what happened with your son that would have devoted me also.   I  have been your stalker cruise critic  have read and followed your trips in the past our taste our similar. So this is why I am reaching out I booked this trip for October I am going solo. I'm flying out DFW on the 18th landing that morning 19th and I plan even  if jet lagged to go to hotel and hit the streets to travel, I need all tips and suggestions of the sites you were in awe/love with. This is my once in a lifetime bucket trip per say. My husband staying home and working with our late in life 13 year old son. I have a very keen feeling they would be bored stiff with the Vatican and all the history things that I love. If you see this response please help.  I do hope that Carnival reaches out to you please let us no if they do, I no Im not the only other mother watching this post and I am halfway to diamond so watching closely on this too many other options out there.      Thank You Janet B.     in North TX.

• Like 2