The Odyssey, on-the-sea, part II. (Alaska)

shark b8

56 minutes ago, DTtravelers said:

Big thanks to shark b8 for the excellent blog, pictures and videos.  We sail this cruise in August and it has been really terrific seeing what is coming up.

Thanks for the kind words, but y’all aren’t done with me yet.  😉  We’re doing a b2b, so there’s another two weeks of me to put up with.

And speaking of that, after we do disembark in Vancouver, we will board the Rocky Mountaineer train, for a 12-day tour of the Canadian Rockies - Banff, Lake Louise, etc. I’m unsure whether posting about that is appropriate, it being a Seabourn forum and all. Should I keep posting here, or start a new thread….or not post train-stuff on a ship forum at all?  I pretty much only read the Seabourn pages, so not sure about off-topic protocol….

• Like 6

ooh I am definitely interested in hearing about the Rocky Mountaineer, and I think there is probably a fair amount of overlap between folks who would be interested in a luxury train such as that and Seabourn cruisers. I'd love if you kept posting here!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, flyerstef said:

ooh I am definitely interested in hearing about the Rocky Mountaineer, and I think there is probably a fair amount of overlap between folks who would be interested in a luxury train such as that and Seabourn cruisers. I'd love if you kept posting here!

I agree with flyerstef.  Your posts are very interesting and positive, and we have talked casually doing that trip for about 10 years...  Also, neither TrainCritic nor RailCritic seem to exist, so where else would you post??

And how were you able to schedule the "unknown atmospheric force" (i.e., sunshine)??  I cannot seem to locate that anywhere in the App.  When we did our first cruise unpteen years ago, they gave us a complimentary book "The Alaska Cruise Handbook" and I remembered a cute side note about Ketchican:

Ketchican visitor to child:

"How long has it been raining?"

Child:

"I don't know; I'm only five"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shark b8 said:

. Should I keep posting here, or start a new thread…

I also vote for you to continue posting about your trip.  Continuing on this thread might be the easiest for people to follow.  There is a rail discussion forum where people would be interested in your Rocky Mountaineer trip:  Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum.  There is a section near the bottom of their home page that lists the various topics called "Trip Reports".  

4 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

More like keeping up with the HAL's.  We did a Somalier's Dinner in 2015 on the old Statendam with my brother and sister-in-law, and it was most excellent.  Great pairing with food.  So these ave been around for a long time.

I have experienced these special dinners on HAL, too, and I agree with your opinion.  They were educational because the Chef and the Sommelier would discuss the courses and the wine before or as they were being served.  Because all who attended were interested in good food and wine, conversations were lively and interesting.  Never had them for lunch; and, after dinner, I would be so "stuffed" that any plans for the rest of the evening didn't happen.  During one Carnival Cruise, I attended a special dinner like this.  It was equal in the quality and the experience as on HAL.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have experienced these special dinners on HAL, too, and I agree with your opinion.  They were educational because the Chef and the Sommelier would discuss the courses and the wine before or as they were being served.  Because all who attended were interested in good food and wine, conversations were lively and interesting.  Never had them for lunch; and, after dinner, I would be so "stuffed" that any plans for the rest of the evening didn't happen.  During one Carnival Cruise, I attended a special dinner like this.  It was equal in the quality and the experience as on HAL.  

I did a few Vintage Room dinners on Crystal.  I never thought the food was enough of an upgrade to justify the added expense, but the wine was more than worth the expense.  At one of the dinners for the main course, we had the 2010 Shafer Hillside Select, which is an incredible wine and one you would be lucky to find for less than $300 in a store, much less at a restaurant.  And you could basically drink as much as you wanted.  Needless to say, I similarly was not in nay condition for other evening plans.

• Like 1

The menu looks great...but I would only do this for dinner, not for lunch.  After a lunch like this, with all the included wine, the rest of the day would be shot and I doubt I'd even be interested in dinner.  Maybe they'll get enough feedback along the same vein to eventually start sommelier dinners, similar to Crystal's Vintage Room. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Ketchican visitor to child:

"How long has it been raining?"

Child:

"I don't know; I'm only five"

hahahaha - the version I heard was back in the 80’s & early 90’s, a guy goes to a friend’s house to watch the USC/Notre Dame game, and when USC scored a touchdown, the friend’s dog went wild, barking and jumping and running around in circles. Guy says “if your dog does that when USC scores a touchdown over Notre Dame, what in the world does he do when USC BEATS Notre Dame?”  Friend says “I don’t know, he’s only 10 years old”.   🤣

2 hours ago, tryber said:

Needless to say, I similarly was not in nay condition for other evening plans.

The last dinner like this I attended, I returned to my cabin, so stuffed, that I was almost sick.  Went to bed and was so much in discomfort that I never went to sleep until almost close to morning.  I decided then and there, such a special dinner like what I had experienced was my last.  

My suggestion to avoid such an experience is to only take a few nibbles of the various courses and a few sips of the wines.  Attempting to consume all that is offered is something that I once could do.  No more!  

It's the experience and what I learn by attending this type of dinner is what I most enjoy.  

To have such a dinner for Lunch?  I'd tell my Cabin Steward to leave me alone and I'll see you tomorrow morning.  

• Like 1

So, we went into Vancouver to stay out of the way of people embarking and disembarking - we’ll be back here in 2 weeks, for a couple of days between the ship and the Rocky Mountaineer train.  So today, we did one of those “hop on, hop off” buses - yeah yeah, very touristy, but also not a bad way to quickly get the lay of the land, to be investigated more thoroughly later.  (Pretty pricey though - $60 CAD apiece, so over $90 USD for the two of us, for a one-hour bus ride, if I’m converting correctly.   ah well.)

So….at the beginning of this thread, I promised to report the not-so-good stuff as well as any good stuff - here’s an example, although hardly life-threatening.  Mrs. Captain Sharkbait likes the occasional nightcap at the Observation Bar, and a night or two in, we went there.  She ordered a White Russian, which reminded me I had read a blurb on a Mudslide, which evidently is very similar, but uses Bailey’s liqueur instead of the cream.  Figured we’d do a taste test, one of each, prepared by a pro bartender.  I was told they couldn’t make a Mudslide because “we don’t have a blender”.   Seemed highly odd, but there was a bit of a language barrier problem, so I thought maybe I misheard.  Then last night we did the same thing, and I got the same story.  Really? An upscale bar on a (very) upscale ship, and they don’t have a blender?  Of course, if this is the most serious problem we face on this trip, we’ll be ahead of the curve, but….really?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

I was told they couldn’t make a Mudslide because “we don’t have a blender”.   Seemed highly odd, but there was a bit of a language barrier problem, so I thought maybe I misheard.  Then last night we did the same thing, and I got the same story.  Really? An upscale bar on a (very) upscale ship, and they don’t have a blender?  Of course, if this is the most serious problem we face on this trip, we’ll be ahead of the curve, but….really?

Interesting.  Mr. SLSD tells me just now that he remembers seeing a blender at the Observation Bar on Sojourn.  I know you are on Od.  I have my own bar story.  I once ordered a Brandy Alexander.  I can't remember if I was on Encore or Ovation--one or the other.  First, the server (patio) didn't know what a Brandy Alexander was--and had to go and ask the bartender.  She came back and said that he could make it.  What was delivered to me tasted Ok, but was NOT a Brandy Alexander--another drink that requires a blender--at least when we make them.  I haven't had the best luck with mixed drinks on Seabourn, which has been a disappointment.  Next time, I am going to ask for a menu of their signature offerings--if there is such a thing.  

Rather more to the point for all those on a knife edge of do we or dont we cancel our South Pacific messed up cruise which is now furthur in doubt thanks to Seabourn messing with flights too 

Exactly how would you compare Seabourn itself on board ,food etc etc with previous cruises 

10 hours ago, shark b8 said:

So, we went into Vancouver to stay out of the way of people embarking and disembarking - we’ll be back here in 2 weeks, for a couple of days between the ship and the Rocky Mountaineer train.  So today, we did one of those “hop on, hop off” buses - yeah yeah, very touristy, but also not a bad way to quickly get the lay of the land, to be investigated more thoroughly later.  (Pretty pricey though - $60 CAD apiece, so over $90 USD for the two of us, for a one-hour bus ride, if I’m converting correctly.   ah well.)

So….at the beginning of this thread, I promised to report the not-so-good stuff as well as any good stuff - here’s an example, although hardly life-threatening.  Mrs. Captain Sharkbait likes the occasional nightcap at the Observation Bar, and a night or two in, we went there.  She ordered a White Russian, which reminded me I had read a blurb on a Mudslide, which evidently is very similar, but uses Bailey’s liqueur instead of the cream.  Figured we’d do a taste test, one of each, prepared by a pro bartender.  I was told they couldn’t make a Mudslide because “we don’t have a blender”.   Seemed highly odd, but there was a bit of a language barrier problem, so I thought maybe I misheard.  Then last night we did the same thing, and I got the same story.  Really? An upscale bar on a (very) upscale ship, and they don’t have a blender?  Of course, if this is the most serious problem we face on this trip, we’ll be ahead of the curve, but….really?

Pretty sure that the lack of a blender is by design. Those things are NOISY as heck (even with the optional noise shield) and would disrupt the vibe in the Observation Bar.

10 hours ago, shark b8 said:

hmmm SLSD, my takeaway from your story is that……I might have to try a Brandy Alexander.  (just looked it up.  yum 🍸)

Please do ask for one and see what you get!  It is I think a pretty standard drink.  I've had them at many bars and we even make them ourselves upon occasion.  At home, we make ours with ice cream instead of heavy cream--thus the blender for a turn or two.  Adolfo is right--that blenders would be noisy---but  surely they could step away. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Nonetheless, there has been a blender in OB.   Do not know about today.  There is blender on deck 5.  And the bars should be staffed with bartenders that can communicate and understand English language.   In this area, there has been a shift downwards.  

Edited by saminina

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

Interesting.  Mr. SLSD tells me just now that he remembers seeing a blender at the Observation Bar on Sojourn.  I know you are on Od.  I have my own bar story.  I once ordered a Brandy Alexander.  I can't remember if I was on Encore or Ovation--one or the other.  First, the server (patio) didn't know what a Brandy Alexander was--and had to go and ask the bartender.  She came back and said that he could make it.  What was delivered to me tasted Ok, but was NOT a Brandy Alexander--another drink that requires a blender--at least when we make them.  I haven't had the best luck with mixed drinks on Seabourn, which has been a disappointment.  Next time, I am going to ask for a menu of their signature offerings--if there is such a thing.  

Interesting post.

Brandy Alexander is my go-to after dinner drink. I would regularly order one in the Grand Salon for the show, or OB if not going to  the show. After a few years I found that the taste and quality of it had changed, and not for the better. I think it happened around 2016. I changed to ordering it very occasionally and didn't try it at all on our last cruise in 2019 as it was no longer enjoyable, irrespective of which bar I ordered it from. It is of course a very indulgent drink, especially after a rich meal so it has to be perfect and enjoyed in ordernto justify the calories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

Interesting post.

Brandy Alexander is my go-to after dinner drink. I would regularly order one in the Grand Salon for the show, or OB if not going to  the show. After a few years I found that the taste and quality of it had changed, and not for the better. I think it happened around 2016. I changed to ordering it very occasionally and didn't try it at all on our last cruise in 2019 as it was no longer enjoyable, irrespective of which bar I ordered it from. It is of course a very indulgent drink, especially after a rich meal so it has to be perfect and enjoyed in ordernto justify the calories.

I totally agree with you Isklaar--and it was after 2016 when I ordered it--and they didn't even know what it was.  I don't eat desserts and this drink would totally take the place of one every once in a while.   Very disappointing that SB does not do a good one.  Next time, I may order it to be made with ice cream.  That might improve things.  Perhaps I should tell our waiter at the beginning of our meal that this is what I would like for dessert and made with ice cream.  Mr SLSD days he will go prepared and have the printed recipe in his coat pocket.  It is a drink popular in the 1970s so perhaps that is why the bartenders are not familiar with it. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

You can make a Brandy Alexander with a cocktail shaker.

Every bar should have one.

On board OD in May the pool bartender didn’t know how

to make lemonade.  In the OB lounge they didn’t lnow what

a Gibson martini was or how to make it. Really? A martini

with a pearl onion.

😎

9 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Exactly how would you compare Seabourn itself on board ,food etc etc with previous cruises 

I know there have been reports of a noticeable decline in overall service, but I’m just not seeing it.  I was prepared to experience some disappointments, but so far anyway, nothing of any seriousness.  Food in all the venues seems the same to me as going back to our Seabourn-beginnings in 2013 - solidly good, if not legendary.  What I’m saying here may or may not be helpful regarding being “on knife’s edge” but it’s the way I see it.  One of my “Sailed Days”pins, which we have on our Antarctica quilted jackets, was pulled off somehow on our pre-cruise Denali tour, and when the Seabourn Club rep heard about it, she knocked on my door with a replacement.  No issues with housekeeping, the Ventures team, etc that I can think of. We had one shore excursion guide we didn’t care for, but that’s a few degrees of separation away from Seabourn responsibility.  I’ll continue to ponder, maybe I’m repressing some less-than-ideal moments.

• Like 3

Btw, for those set to arrive in Canada as part of a future Alaskan cruise, you will be required to download the ArriveCan app, and fill out all the usual stuff these days: personal & passport info, vaccination record, arrival/departure dates/locations, etc.  Once fully filled out, you are rewarded with a handsome QR code, which theoretically will make border entry quick and easy.   We dutifully filled it out of course, and then…..no one ever asked to see it.   I’m not remotely suggesting that anyone should skip doing it, just…reporting our experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Cruise said:

You can make a Brandy Alexander with a cocktail shaker.

Every bar should have one.

On board OD in May the pool bartender didn’t know how

to make lemonade.  In the OB lounge they didn’t lnow what

a Gibson martini was or how to make it. Really? A martini

with a pearl onion.

😎

Yes, we only use a blender (for a couple of pulses) if we are making it with ice cream.  They didn't know how to make lemonade?  This is getting serious.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Yes, we only use a blender (for a couple of pulses) if we are making it with ice cream.  They didn't know how to make lemonade?  This is getting serious.  

There are several cocktails that were once very popular that are not ordered frequently now that a new generation of bartenders aren't familiar with them.  During a cruise recently, I ordered a Bacardi Cocktail on the rocks.  The bartender wanted to give me a shot of Bacardi Rum.  I had to explain what a Bacardi Cocktail was.  Then, he was able to make it.  

A Brandy Alexander made with ice cream is delicious!  

• Like 2