The Odyssey, on-the-sea, part II. (Alaska)

shark b8

Going back to a subject early on in this thread. I chatted with the Bar Manager tonight.  He said yes, the Observation Bar doesn’t have a blender, for noise reasons.  I still have mixed feelings about that - when the bar is rockin’ and rollin’ no one is likely to hear (or pay much attention to) a blender, and if the bar is quiet, I’m not sure why 10 -15 seconds would be a deal-breaker, but evidently that’s just me.  I asked and was told that yes, The Club has a blender, so if the First Mate and I want to try the aforementioned White Russian vs Mudslide side-by-side tasting comparison, that’s the place to do it. May report back.  (If no response here after 24 hours, please send help). 🤪🥃

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

We disembark tomorrow morning 😡😢, and have a couple of days in Vancouver.  A few folks expressed interest on the next part I mentioned, which will be the Rocky Mountaineer train, for 12 days in the Canadian Rockies. I’ll continue on this thread, for any who might be interested. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Last of the nightly “champagne and caviar “  standing order.  😰

0AB67AEF-5B37-4ADA-8444-E28E99DB64B7.thumb.jpeg.18a7271d4e7f64d95df200d6fecda2d6.jpeg

Looks wonderful! Completely jealous. Btw, what was your "standing order" delivery time?

We'd like to do the same on the Ovation in November...just can't decide what time is best to work in all the "before, after and between meal" treats.

And a big THANK YOU for sharing your trip with us!

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading along. Love the photos, etc and very much looking forward to even more with your upcoming Rocky Mountaineer adventure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertmartha said:

shark b8

Will reiterate again - a big thank you for taking us all along these past few weeks.

Please continue posting as you can - would luv to see the next installment of you adventure!

and thoroughly agree .... that is the saddest photo of all 😔

+1

Very well said robertmartha!

Shark B8,  You are such a delightful reporter.  I wish you just circulated among all the SB ships and could keep up a constant report.  You have such a good attitude through all the good and the less than good  (still remembering your missing luggage which you had paid dearly to have delivered to the ship).  One suggestion:  I would love to hear Mrs. Shark B8's view from time to time.  I have a feeling she is very fortunate to be traveling with such an upbeat husband.  Like others, I am looking forward to reports about your rail trip.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Aww shucks, folks.  Mrs Sharkbait would probably admonish you, “you know, when you say these things, it only encourages him”.  😉

So, we’ve disembarked and have arrived at our Vancouver hotel, we’ll be here a couple of days, and will board the train Mon morning.  At the cruise terminal: (1) walked straight off the ship, passed several unmanned checkpoints, (2) never showed passport or Covid docs, (3) never showed ArriveCan docs, (4) walked straight to an almost-an-hour snake line, to get a cab.  When I asked about Uber, we were told “the pick-up area is off-site, several blocks away”.  Which is perhaps just how the taxi companies like it.  😡 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cadburysmom said:

Btw, what was your "standing order" delivery time?

We'd like to do the same on the Ovation in November...just can't decide what time is best to work in all the "before, after and between meal" treats.

Well, we tend to be “night people” (or at least not “morning people”), eat later than most, 8:00 or 8:15. So the C&C order arrives at 7:00p every night, time to savor as we putter around & get dressed & prepare to strap on the ol’ feedbag.  😋 They’ll deliver any time you ask, of course!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Well, we tend to be “night people” (or at least not “morning people”), eat later than most, 8:00 or 8:15. So the C&C order arrives at 7:00p every night, time to savor as we putter around & get dressed & prepare to strap on the ol’ feedbag.  😋 They’ll deliver any time you ask, of course!

Excellent plan!…we’re definitely on the same page, feedbag and all. 😉

On 8/11/2022 at 4:33 PM, shark b8 said:

…and meant to mention this several days ago - for those keeping score, pax count on this 3rd week/leg (for us) is 319.  approx 70%.

Boarded after you "unboarded" yesterday. Passenger count pretty close to the same for the first leg (320 to Juneau). Not sure what the "turnaround turnover" will be there.

Kept our streak going - 130+ days sailed without an upgrade. Don't know anyone aboard except for Jan (CD) & her husband. No matter - everything is "Seabourn good."

• Like 1

Thanks shark b8 for taking us along with you!  And for leaving the ship in good shape for us.  🙂

Today we enjoyed breaching humpback whale for lunch.  The food and wine were good too.

We were the last 2 to snag a Wild bears of Anon excursion, so we’ll post an update here next week for this who are following this cruise in September, if that is okay with you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

We were the last 2 to snag a Wild bears of Anon excursion, so we’ll post an update here next week for this who are following this cruise in September, if that is okay with you?

DTtravelers, if you *don’t* post it, I may seek legal action.  😉  seriously, I had booked a different shorex, for both the first and second times we were to be in Wrangell.  And then in between, we happened to sit next to a couple at a wine tasting event, who had done the Anan Bears, showed us their vid, and I trampled over people racing to the Square to change our excursion for the second visit.  The usual caveats about no wildlife guarantees, and maybe we supremely lucked out, but it turned to be at least in the top 3-4 excursions we’ve ever done. Hope Lady Luck is with you!

F7F02DF7-7ABC-4C18-8795-678D5AC7E684.thumb.jpeg.b0a275deddf99406b82af2a24378fa04.jpeg

• Like 3

So, here in Vancouver we took a 2-hour “foodie-tour” of the Granville Public Market, a foodie paradise.  anyone else think the morel is the best mushroom on the planet? Or want one of dozens of flavors of macaroons?  Gourmet pickles?  Cheese, sausages?  Anyone?  Bueller?

FED7ED83-B82F-45B3-AB89-601291FCA9E4.thumb.jpeg.123fcfa6739ae44376503666b8e31894.jpeg

0D934236-748C-4EF4-A466-A5E8D63496FC.thumb.jpeg.85a997eaf1d270208cb43aff1cd57cf2.jpeg

67449C10-FE26-4B2B-9777-611A410051EA.thumb.jpeg.9acbd4315195904531ef63cba5cd5689.jpeg

507134E7-8DF1-4B1F-B582-5FF46F3A90F7.thumb.jpeg.199d2b610bf19504886d8def57f2f63a.jpeg

92944318-C005-44F3-8097-3A6D56CB775A.thumb.jpeg.72ccbf26f4a8375b8342292b8528e04e.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1