Agent didn't complete booking - what should I do?

whee-sailing

The TA I've had for years did not return to work after Covid and I continued with one of her coworkers. I booked three back-to-back Caribbean cruises for February next year on Celebrity at a phenomenal rate and with no single supplement. Or so I thought...

The last communication I received from her was her confirming that she had the same room number booked for all three and then I replied saying to use the credit card she had already for the deposit (if she'd kept it from a different cruise she had recently booked for me) or otherwise to phone me when she needed the information.

I never heard back and (foolishly) assumed she'd booked it with the same card. A couple weeks has passed and I realized I hadn't received anything from her. I checked my card and nothing was billed. I checked one of the cruises and my cabin is showing as available. I am clearly not booked on these cruises. She is currently on vacation until the second week of August. How would you proceed? Is the agency (I'm in Canada) obligated in any way to provide these cruises for me at the rate I thought I'd booked (the price has now doubled)? I'm feeling so dumb right now that I didn't follow up sooner. And I'm really, really missing my wonderful retired TA.

22 minutes ago, whee-sailing said:

The TA I've had for years did not return to work after Covid and I continued with one of her coworkers. I booked three back-to-back Caribbean cruises for February next year on Celebrity at a phenomenal rate and with no single supplement. Or so I thought...

The last communication I received from her was her confirming that she had the same room number booked for all three and then I replied saying to use the credit card she had already for the deposit (if she'd kept it from a different cruise she had recently booked for me) or otherwise to phone me when she needed the information.

I never heard back and (foolishly) assumed she'd booked it with the same card. A couple weeks has passed and I realized I hadn't received anything from her. I checked my card and nothing was billed. I checked one of the cruises and my cabin is showing as available. I am clearly not booked on these cruises. She is currently on vacation until the second week of August. How would you proceed? Is the agency (I'm in Canada) obligated in any way to provide these cruises for me at the rate I thought I'd booked (the price has now doubled)? I'm feeling so dumb right now that I didn't follow up sooner. And I'm really, really missing my wonderful retired TA.

I understand your concern. If you peruse the numerous CC discussions about wonderful TAs, you’ll notice that only some of us maintain a “short list” of individual agents in anticipation of one (or more) of them moving on to retirement (or something else). But that only helps with the next yet-to-be-booked cruise (should the newly assigned TA not impress you).

Your more immediate concern suggests that you immediately contact a higher up at the current Agency you are using. If the agency has a Customer Services arm, someone there may also have access to your booking and all notes in your account. In any case, I wouldn’t wait for someone to finish their vacation.

In all honesty, however, without a paper trail of emails confirming that the booking “would be made” as directed by you, you are pretty much SOL on getting your original cruise deal (though you might be able to negotiate some added SBC or a FFC to ease the pain of new pricing).

FWIW: I suggest that you turn on Credit Card “notices” for your account so that you will be informed immediately when your card is used for a payment. I also suggest that (even with your favorite/trusted TA) you followup every booking related TA conversation with an email detailing the specifics - not because you distrust your favorite TA but rather because tomorrow may find you unexpectedly dealing with a totally different person.

• Like 1

I agree, talk with the TA management for help.  It's possible the agency's Errors & Omissions insurance might cover your financial loss if you rebook the three cruises at the higher price.  But with no confirmation from the TA or the cruise line, and no follow-up on your part, I doubt there would be any help there.  You're really looking at a good-will gesture on the agency's part and it's doubtful that they'll do much more than that. 

This is a very expensive, disappointing way to learn one of today's rules ... you can no longer trust anyone to do anything correctly.  It's wonderful when things work well, but you can't count on it.  You have to be on top of every single component of booking travel every minute.  I am so sorry this happened to you and hope you find an adequate solution.

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

This is a very expensive, disappointing way to learn one of today's rules ... you can no longer trust anyone to do anything correctly.  It's wonderful when things work well, but you can't count on it.  You have to be on top of every single component of booking travel every minute.  I am so sorry this happened to you and hope you find an adequate solution.

Ronald Reagan’s motto concerning disarmament agreements applies in connection with travel agents’ performance: “Trust, but verify.”

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. I'll give her office a call tomorrow and speak with the manager. Normally I would have been more on top of this, but I was packing and moving and wrapping up a job so things were crazy.

I think I do have the email paper trail. I have the three booking numbers and PDFs of the bookings. She just forgot to make the deposit, it seems, so the cruise line cancelled them. I'll see what happens!

2 hours ago, whee-sailing said:

Thank you everyone. I'll give her office a call tomorrow and speak with the manager. Normally I would have been more on top of this, but I was packing and moving and wrapping up a job so things were crazy.

I think I do have the email paper trail. I have the three booking numbers and PDFs of the bookings. She just forgot to make the deposit, it seems, so the cruise line cancelled them. I'll see what happens!

Wishes for good luck for you!  Please, return and let us know how this unfortunate situation develops.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whee-sailing said:

If anyone's curious, the bookings are being honoured at the original prices.

Thanks again for your responses.

Glad to hear that it worked out in your favor.

I would be curious to know if the reason it worked out well for you has anything to do with consumer protection laws in Canada? Or did your TA just accept that they made a mistake and are honoring the original price and "do the right thing"?

I have no solution to the OP's dilemma except to get a different travel agent/agency.  We only recommend dealing with high volume agencies (who have multiple employees) so that if one is on vacation or not available there is a Customer Service desk that can give immediate answers and service.  

One other tip.  Whenever you book any cruise with any agent, ask for the booking #.  This should be available immediately (assuming the agent inputs the booking into the computer system).  Then log onto the cruise line's site and check to see if that reservation # exists.  Also make a note (to yourself) when the final payment is due and, if you do not hear from the travel agent a few days before the due date...contact them to find out the status.   Even good agencies make mistakes, and it behooves the traveler to always double check transactions.

Hank

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:57 PM, klfrodo said:

Glad to hear that it worked out in your favor.

I would be curious to know if the reason it worked out well for you has anything to do with consumer protection laws in Canada? Or did your TA just accept that they made a mistake and are honoring the original price and "do the right thing"?

I'm guessing it just came down to the relationship that the branch manager has with their contacts at the cruise line and them recognizing that an honest mistake was made and being able and willing to honour the original bookings. If there's more to the story I'll never know!

We are in the 'trust but verify' club.  First thing we do if we make a TA  booking is to get the vendor booking number and check it against the vendor site for date, price, conditions, etc.

Anyone can make a mistake.  Our view is that since it is us that will have to deal with the consequences it is incumbent on us to double check.  And better to do it when we book vs when we are in front of the check in desk.

• Like 1