Booked Haven Suite on Epic - so angry before even leaving

ASD19001

24 minutes ago, raitch said:

Oh man.  We are used to the 2 bedroom on the Gem where the sofa/couch DOES pull out.  We’re boarding Breakaway in 2 weeks.  I’m not telling my teenager who usually sleeps in the living room 😬😬😬

On the breakaway (and I’m guessing the newer ships) that’s how the couch works as a bed in a balcony cabin, just remove the back cushion and tada!

Edited by mjkacmom

18 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

On the breakaway (and I’m guessing the newer ships) that’s how the couch works as a bed in a balcony cabin, just remove the back cushion and tada!

How about a pallet in the floor like we Yutes got at Grandmas house back in the day? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I only see that working for a couple with one extra adult, or two smaller kids...not even teens.  

we've done this room with 4 adults and 2 kids 4 times with no issues; however, we actually will be doing it with 4 adults and 2 teens in about 10 days. we shall see if it still works out lol. my 15yo is basically an adult at 6'2". although we are used to traveling together and sharing bathrooms which is why it works for us, and my parents are the only ones we could ever do this with. i think knowing how you travel together is a bigger factor then size/how many adults, etc Because we couldn't do this same configuration with my inlaws, BIL/Sil, friends etc

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that at this point about 90% of us don't believe that ever really happened.  That's okay.  Fully utilize the booze package and dream whatever wake-up dreams you want to! The only nightmare is when you wake up and realize you have to have your butt totally off the ship in an hour or two.  😡

Happens every cruise for me and for others on this forum. Use the search bar and you'll see.  Everybody enjoys different things on a cruise. I personally don't drink, but I know a lot of people do a lot of drinking (and overeating) on cruises. However, I don't criticize them because I don't feel compelled to publicly criticize anything that other people do that doesn't impact me personally. 

• Like 1

Q: What is the effect of having lived in a crappy college dorm room for four years and sleeping in your Mom's basement during the summers?

A: It makes a cruise ship inside cabin seem like Heaven/Haven.

😎

Just get me on the d$mned ship.  I'll take charge of the fun from that point, and no clogged toilet, crappy bed, loud cabin, etc. will have a chance of getting in the way. 🐀🥳🎉  Yes, I will provide lessons, but you had better be a "fun" student, or it's the gangplank for you!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

LOL, just remember that Princess Margaret, the one here who likes the stealthy butler, is not the same as the OP.  Princess M just weighed in on her expectations of how she uses her butler.

Not a real Princess but I am loving being called this! 😊💗👸 I am even thinking of changing my CC name LOL (not kidding 😂) What can I tell you? I love pampering and I wear my crown proudly 🤷‍♀️👑

I also (really!) utilize my Haven butler for packing and unpacking. I'm sure the folks on this thread will have a field day with that one!  Enjoy! 😂

2 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I also (really!) utilize my Haven butler for packing and unpacking. I'm sure the folks on this thread will have a field day with that one!  Enjoy! 😂

2 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I love pampering and I wear my crown proudly 🤷‍♀️👑

9 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I personally don't drink

Unfortunately, the third one is likely the only one we can help you with. 🤣🐀

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lfreda said:

Do you have to put a special request in prior to sailing to get the butler to sneak into your room? 🙂

Nope! You just let the butler know that you want breakfast at a certain time (say 8 a.m.) and he/she shows up. It's amazing!  They don't sneak in or crawl across the floor or anything like that (maybe they could do that upon request, but I don't need that.) They just open the door and walk in and bring the tray of food. They put it down on the table and then they leave. Sometimes the sound of them coming in will wake you up,  but if not you can let them know to wake you up before they leave and they will!!!  ( Otherwise your coffee will get cold!) I know this sounds like something some people have never heard of before in your life, but believe me it's true!!

PS  I've never had a butler do anything creepy, but again you could probably request that if that's what you are looking for.  Mine are boring and just deliver food.

Hope this helps! 😊

10 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Nope! You just let the butler know that you want breakfast at a certain time (say 8 a.m.) and he/she shows up. It's amazing!  They don't sneak in or crawl across the floor or anything like that (maybe they could do that upon request, but I don't need that.) They just open the door and walk in and bring the tray of food. They put it down on the table and then they leave. Sometimes the sound of them coming in will wake you up,  but if not you can let them know to wake you up before they leave and they will!!!  ( Otherwise your coffee will get cold!) I know this sounds like something some people have never heard of before in your life, but believe me it's true!!

PS  I've never had a butler do anything creepy, but again you could probably request that if that's what you are looking for.  Mine are boring and just deliver food.

Hope this helps! 😊

Not gonna lie....I'm glad to see you came back after all the crap other posters gave you. I did try the butler bring coffee/tea/pastries in our room without waking us up thing. I didn't mind since we were awake, but still laying in bed. I just couldn't drink that much coffee and definitely couldn't eat so many pastries, plus breakfast!

So, Princess Margaret, I wonder if what prince I'll be called...FYI y'all, I'd prefer to be a king!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Hope this helps! 😊

I don't really mind the knock of room service.  Works quite well in waking us up AND they bring us food.  Perhaps I can just have the Butler knock first.

4 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I don't really mind the knock of room service.  Works quite well in waking us up AND they bring us food.  Perhaps I can just have the Butler knock first.

You'll notice once you cruise in the Haven that you have a doorbell, so no knocking required!  Also the Haven butler will set your table with a table cloth, silverware, flowers, etc.  If you are standing there watching him/her, they tend to feel rushed because they don't want to make you wait. (In fact, sometimes in order to prevent you from waiting they will skip all the fancy stuff and just put the food directly on the table.) I prefer to let them work in peace without anyone standing over their shoulder & get all the bells and whistles! 😊

But then again, I'm Princess Margaret 😁👸, so you do you! 👍🏻

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Just how many episodes of "The Crown" have you watched?

I haven't, actually!  I am used to the ribbing, I get it from my real-life friends all the time! 😂 I am single and I have had a housekeeper and laundry service since I moved out of my parents house when I was 21. And that was a looooong time ago!  I have friends that would never *think* of allowing someone else to clean their house or do their laundry, but I have no issues with that and I pay/tip very, very well.  I work hard and am blessed to earn a great living. I have rheumatoid arthritis and so my energy is limited. I choose to use the energy I do have to have fun and not to clean house or do laundry and I have zero guilt about that. I only go on vacations where I can be pampered (again, I work hard!) and I enjoy every minute of it.  I understand that is not everybody's thing, but it's mine.  Like I said in an earlier post, some people like to party on vacation and drink and overindulge in other ways. Not my thing, but all power to them!  You only live one life, do what makes you happy! (Oh, and live & let live! 😉)

• Like 8

On 7/27/2022 at 12:43 AM, QuattroRomeo said:

Seems a little weird that there isn't a sofa bed available anywhere..could it be because the Epic is in Europe and maybe that limits their suppliers?

Hope you can enjoy your cruise- terrific itinerary! And with the hot weather there right now, maybe the extra space will be a blessing. 

I promise you we do have sofas in Europe some nice ones too. Lol

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ppcox said:

Considering the Epic was built and originally fitted out in Europe as well as having dry docked there, I’d say it’s likely that the sofas were sourced from Europe.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

When I was a teacher I took a workshop about fairness, incentives, right and wrong, etc. I learned that when someone (or a company) makes an error, two things need to happen. The first is that the wrong must be made right. NCL has done this by offering up another room. The second thing that has to happen (and this is most often not done) is that the person needs to be in some way compensated that the error happened in the first place. NCL also needs to offer some type of monetary compensation. It could be reduced fare, onboard credit, etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseagona said:

When I was a teacher I took a workshop about fairness, incentives, right and wrong, etc. I learned that when someone (or a company) makes an error, two things need to happen. The first is that the wrong must be made right. NCL has done this by offering up another room. The second thing that has to happen (and this is most often not done) is that the person needs to be in some way compensated that the error happened in the first place. NCL also needs to offer some type of monetary compensation. It could be reduced fare, onboard credit, etc. 

Workshop?  I'm guessing that was just somebody's "feel good" approach.  Most of us don't live in a world where we expect to be compensated when 💩happens. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseagona said:

The second thing that has to happen (and this is most often not done) is that the person needs to be in some way compensated that the error happened in the first place. NCL also needs to offer some type of monetary compensation. It could be reduced fare, onboard credit, etc.

A plate of chocolate-covered strawberries and a bottle of sparkling wine (fake) "champagne" is probably the best that NCL will do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ppcox said:

Sheesh. I am aware that Europe has beautiful furniture stores. And linens, crystal, draperies, fine china, cabinetry, flooring stores..Not to mention wine, cheese, meat, pastries... My point was, NCL is a US company so I presumed they have storerooms somewhere in the US to house replacement items when the ships' own storerooms run out, to keep a uniformity of design. 

I didn't think that ship personnel just pop out to the store in whatever city they are in Europe, to buy a replacement item... Obviously food warehouses must be in place there. But large hard goods? 

That is what I was just wondering about, and, perhaps generously, giving NCL the benefit of the doubt about. If I am wrong, how does it work? 

1 hour ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Sheesh. I am aware that Europe has beautiful furniture stores. And linens, crystal, draperies, fine china, cabinetry, flooring stores..Not to mention wine, cheese, meat, pastries... My point was, NCL is a US company so I presumed they have storerooms somewhere in the US to house replacement items when the ships' own storerooms run out, to keep a uniformity of design. 

I didn't think that ship personnel just pop out to the store in whatever city they are in Europe, to buy a replacement item... Obviously food warehouses must be in place there. But large hard goods? 

That is what I was just wondering about, and, perhaps generously, giving NCL the benefit of the doubt about. If I am wrong, how does it work? 

Ok👍

1 hour ago, QuattroRomeo said:

You are aware that all of NCLs ships (other than POA) were built and fitted out in Europe?

if anything, the large warehouse would be in Europe, as that is also where most dry docks are carried out. In recent years, they have positioned ships in Europe for their dry dock year. I’m not sure what NCL do when they need replacement equipment. I suspect that they are fairly standard items, but it is probably easier to obtain in Europe than the US.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

You are aware that all of NCLs ships (other than POA) were built and fitted out in Europe?

if anything, the large warehouse would be in Europe, as that is also where most dry docks are carried out. In recent years, they have positioned ships in Europe for their dry dock year. I’m not sure what NCL do when they need replacement equipment. I suspect that they are fairly standard items, but it is probably easier to obtain in Europe than the US.

Yes, I do know that many cruise ships, and many ships period, are built in Europe. Heck, I watch "Mighty Ships" religiously!!

Anyway, what I am trying to learn about is how US lines procure some things in between drydocks. In the grand scheme of things a sofabed isn't that important, (except in this case it is for the OP), but it is interesting that it wasn't replaced item for item. 

4 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Well I can tell you that the screen wall for NCL Prima is being made in China, and secondly it’s still there?