What if cabin mate tests positive?

My friend just called with some anxiety. She has been reading how lots of people are testing positive after their cruise. She is going on a 10 day in September. Two days after she gets back, she and I leave on a 7 day. Her fear, and now my fear since she just brought it up, is if she should catch Covid on the 10 day and test positive and obviously not be able to go on our cruise, how will that affect me and my cruise since we are booked in a cabin together? 

I think if she tests positive before your cruise, you'd still be ok to go since you're not in the same household.  

I'd highly encourage her to try not to take elevators and go to crowded events on her 10 day.  I'm pretty sure that I picked up Covid either on the elevator or at 70's night on Adventure.  She can mask if she wants, but from what I've heard it doesn't make a huge difference.  

no masking does help if on a crowded ship so wear it in elevators and show rooms.

I know they say masks is for other's benefit, but I feel it is also for one''s own benefit as well.

I also agree if she tests positive you can still go since you were not on the other ship.  She should keep her distance from you until she pretests and I would suggest if flying, you both wear masks anyways

8 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

She will be refunded by RC as it is Covid related, but will I get charged double for the cabin like a cancel?

I don’t think this has come up on here yet. Are you driving to flying to the port in case they want to charge you the full amount? I know if she tests positive then you both can cancel for a refund. Hope she stays negative.

7 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t think this has come up on here yet. Are you driving to flying to the port in case they want to charge you the full amount? I know if she tests positive then you both can cancel for a refund. Hope she stays negative.

Driving and meeting at the port. I hope she doesn't catch covid on the 10 day. But, if she does, I still want to cruise. I'm just trying to figure out what will happen in such a situation since I still want to cruise.

4 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

But, if she does, I still want to cruise. I'm just trying to figure out what will happen in such a situation since I still want to cruise.

Either you both cancel for refund or she is a no show and would only get refunded taxes/fees and any other prepaid expenses (gratuities, drink/dining packages, shore excursions, etc).

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Either you both cancel for refund or she is a no show and would only get refunded taxes/fees and any other prepaid expenses (gratuities, drink/dining packages, shore excursions, etc).

Is this your guess or do you know for certain RC's policy on one cabin guest testing positive for covid days before the cruise. Covid policies are different than their standard policies.

7 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Is this your guess or do you know for certain RC's policy on one cabin guest testing positive for covid days before the cruise. Covid policies are different than their standard policies.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

Yes, I read that already. That is assurance to the person who tests positive that they will receive a refund for their cruise. Doesn't say anything about the party members who are still going to continue with their planned vacation.

1 minute ago, rrraydon said:

Yes, I read that already. That is assurance to the person who tests positive that they will receive a refund for their cruise. Doesn't say anything about the party members who are still going to continue with their planned vacation.

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19

Just now, Another_Critic said:

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19

Obviously the person who tests positive cannot cruise. The cruise doesn't cancel for other passengers who do not test positive. 

16 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

That poster has the same question as I have. But no one has actually been in the situation and posted the experience. All of the response posts were purely speculation and opinion. 

1 hour ago, rrraydon said:

Driving and meeting at the port. I hope she doesn't catch covid on the 10 day. But, if she does, I still want to cruise. I'm just trying to figure out what will happen in such a situation since I still want to cruise.

If she tests positive maybe you could call Royal and explain the situation along with a copy of her covid report. See if they will let you pay about half of the price and still go. It’s a long shot and probably won’t happen, but the worst they could say is no. Some money for Royal is better than none imo. If they agree make sure you get a new invoice and confirmation that she will get her refund. All this can get sticky depending on how the fares were booked. That’s a whole other story. Best right now is to hope she doesn’t get it. 🤞🏼 Tell her to wear N95 or KN95 masks when it’s crowded.

13 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

If she tests positive maybe you could call Royal and explain the situation along with a copy of her covid report. See if they will let you pay about half of the price and still go. It’s a long shot and probably won’t happen, but the worst they could say is no. Some money for Royal is better than none imo. If they agree make sure you get a new invoice and confirmation that she will get her refund. All this can get sticky depending on how the fares were booked. That’s a whole other story. Best right now is to hope she doesn’t get it. 🤞🏼 Tell her to wear N95 or KN95 masks when it’s crowded.

good advice. I'm so tired of this covid stuff. 😒

• Like 1

If it helps at all, MOST people do not get COVID on a cruise.  

I did five cruises last fall, three cruises in January (during Omicron), and five cruises this spring.  The cruises in the spring were no masks on flights and no masks on the cruises.  I didn't get COVID on any of them. 

I am, however, vigilant with hand hygiene, which is the number one way to prevent infection from pretty much any infectious disease.  

Maybe @Ourusualbeach can confirm if your friend will get a refund for her portion while you continue to cruise without her (due to COVID rules), or if she will forfeit her portion of the trip if you continue the cruise without her (due to standard RCCL cancellation rules).  

Using my extreme powers of deduction and experience, I believe that she will get everything refunded and you will  sail as planned, but alone in your cabin, with no financial alterations for you.

I cannot accurately predict whether you will receive single points or double points.  😉 

• Like 1