feel like NCL stole $500 from me in Internet fees

mandwcruise

Internet fee refund denied  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a common story with NCL?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, but it happens all the time on other lines
  2. 2. Am I being unreasonable in my anger?

• Yes - you need to accept that internet is unreliable on a ship
    • No - you paid for something specific and didn't receive it
  3. 3. What should I do?

• Just accept this is the way things are and continue cruising with NCL
    • Boycott NCL
    • Do something nuclear to get that refund (open to suggestions)

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The difference is expectation.

When you are on a cruise ship using satellite internet shared by 4000 of your fellow passengers (like at a hotel and sharing a internet link with all the guests in the hotel), you're not going to get the speed you would at home on your dedicated connection. Every bit needs to travel from the ship to the satellite and then back down. For a geostationary satellite, that's 23,000 miles up and 23,000 miles down introducing several seconds in latency in response time. All of this is "normal". This is "expected"

If you are streaming a video, you may get enough buffered data that it appears to be "o.k.".

If you are surfing consecutive web pages, the ship has a cache server to pre-fetch web pages, so you may have a appearance of good response time. 

If you are scrolling through tiktoc, or hitting random web pages, you will probably have poor response times. This is "expected"

If you are trying to surf the web on a sea day, good luck, everyone else on the ship is doing the same thing. This is "expected"

The OP got what they paid for. The wifi did not "go down". The OP got what is "expected".

If they know they cannot provide a service, but sell it anyway, thats fraud.  Are you saying the company is fraudulent?  I agree the OP should have complained onboard,  Too late now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALKID said:

If they know they cannot provide a service, but sell it anyway, thats fraud.  Are you saying the company is fraudulent?  I agree the OP should have complained onboard,  Too late now!

They are selling exactly what people should expect on a satellite internet system. It is no different only cruise ship. Royal touts their voom satellite internet, it doesn't work any better for my purposes. The OP could have cancelled on embarkation day versus making victim noises. You can see from the poll, that the OP's position is not supported.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

but what about 5G and I wonder about when 6G becomes available?

It would need the hardware to support the frequencies.  If it doesn't have that hardware a new device would be needed to support those networks.

• Like 1

Like most things, as they say in Yorkshire - you don't get owt for nowt.  4G signals can travel for 10-15 miles along line of sight.  They don't bend round the earth, so the horizon is the same as you can see.  5G has massively much more capacity (more users)and much higher speed of data but not as much range because the frequencies get absorbed more quickly It has a range of around 500m (1500 feet-ish).  5G also handles moving users better because it's latency is better.  6G is still experimental and will fill gaps that turn up when 5G gets rolled out fully.  But, and it is a huge but, once you are out of range of any transmitters no ground-based mobile technologies will help.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They are selling exactly what people should expect on a satellite internet system.....

NCL are selling connectivity to the internet including allowing a range of protocols including streaming depending on what you buy.  If the particular service you expect because you get it at home has problems with the physical limits of a satellite link that is your problem not NCLs.  If it goes slow because a lot of people are sharing the uplink, again that is your problem not NCLs.  Bottom line is to buy what you understand is being sold and do your own research as to what the purchased item means, not complain when it doesn't deliver what it didn't say it would.

• Like 2

Like others have posted if you didn't go to the internet desk and bring up your issues or cancel it's highly unlikely NCL is going to do anything about after the cruise. It's like buying a specialty restaurant package and going every night on board and after the cruise complaining you didn't enjoy it and asking for a refund.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:15 AM, mandwcruise said:

3. I didn't complain while I was on the ship

So the policy is you can only collect refunds for things while you're on the ship, instead of resolving matters post-cruise? It's somehow the customer's fault that the Internet desk was unmanned 20+ hours a day?

First, the internet access on a ship can be dodgy at times. It's satellite based and effected by position, weather, capacity during peak hours, etc. etc. But I would say #3 is your biggest hurdle. I think we've all had internet issues while on board ships, and completely understand the frustration especially when trying to schedule things like Zoom meetings. But if you stay quiet the entire week and then talk to them after and say "I used the product for an entire week without a single complaint, but now that I'm back home I want a refund because it didn't work", it's going to sound more like a story than an issue. If you went down to the internet concierge while it wasn't working, they could issue you credits right on the spot. They'd also be able to escalate your complaint right from the ship which essentially gives you proof of your issues for when you do request that full refund later. 

Think of ordering a peperoni pizza and when you get home it's just cheese. You decide to eat it anyways and go back to the pizza place the next day and say "the pizza I ordered yesterday was supposed to be peperoni but it's just cheese. I didn't complain, and I still ate the pizza, but now I want you to make me another one for free". I doubt you get a new pizza.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, IronRobi said:

First, the internet access on a ship can be dodgy at times. It's satellite based and effected by position, weather, capacity during peak hours, etc. etc. But I would say #3 is your biggest hurdle. I think we've all had internet issues while on board ships, and completely understand the frustration especially when trying to schedule things like Zoom meetings. But if you stay quiet the entire week and then talk to them after and say "I used the product for an entire week without a single complaint, but now that I'm back home I want a refund because it didn't work", it's going to sound more like a story than an issue. If you went down to the internet concierge while it wasn't working, they could issue you credits right on the spot. They'd also be able to escalate your complaint right from the ship which essentially gives you proof of your issues for when you do request that full refund later. 

Think of ordering a peperoni pizza and when you get home it's just cheese. You decide to eat it anyways and go back to the pizza place the next day and say "the pizza I ordered yesterday was supposed to be peperoni but it's just cheese. I didn't complain, and I still ate the pizza, but now I want you to make me another one for free". I doubt you get a new pizza.

I think it’s more like eating the pizza and then asking for a refund. I do think this would’ve been an easy fix onboard, letting them know the internet was not satisfactory (it wasn’t), and asking to remove it and give you a full refund.

• Like 1

I don't recall seeing if anyone posted or asked, but what type of streaming content was the OP trying to get?  I think I saw mention of Netflix.  Netflix HD?  SD? 4k?  

Below are Netflix guidelines on streaming speeds based on category.  On my last two cruises I never saw anything above 7 down, usually around 1-3 down at best.

Standard definition (SD)

1 Mbps

NOTE:

A faster connection for improved video quality is recommended

High definition (HD)

720p: 3 Mbps

1080p: 5 Mbps

4K/Ultra HD (UHD)

15 Mbps

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:01 AM, mking8288 said:

Personally, being on CC all these years (like the OP) and cruising NCL, and as an informed end user with a little bit understanding and appreciation (not really, but it is what it is with NCL high orbit, hybrid tech ... unlike Starlink or other global satellite ISP partner's) of its known limitations and bottleneck, I would NOT spent more than minimum (if at all) for a deluxe, premium, premier, upgraded unlimited package at the established price tiers ... plain & simple.  It isn't anything like, let alone close to cable broadband or "slower" Fios at home or at the office, and is much slower than 4G LTE over land tower ... DW and I now have our "5G" smartphones and trust me, the grass isn't always greener (faster) on our end of the data spectrum.  

I am sorry to read about OP's issues but not surprised nor shocked, it is to be expected, especially if one has been around here for a while and done a bit of "research" to ask around.  

Last 2 cruises, we had the basic unlimited package, upgraded at a somewhat reasonable price using non-refundable OBC, so it was "acceptable"   Once within range of land cellular tower(s) - we're doing catch up, uploading & downloading ... superior & much faster.  

While onboard & connected, we still got most things done online, at 2 Mbps d/l and under 1 Mbps u/l mostly ... 

Hi, I will be going on a cruise with NCL next week and will need to use zoom video for a work call. Do you think the boats wifi with premium package is good enough for that during the day at Great Stirrup Cay? I've also purchased a wifi hotspot with aliv and hoping that would be good enough too.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 6:46 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

OP, I understand what was marketed and sold to you.  In the ideal circumstances, I'm sure your internet package would have performed as advertised.  However, on all the cruise lines I have been on advertising doesn't meet reality.  What they can't control is how many people are going to be attempting to download those 17GB of data stream at the same time.  I would bet you could have watched your movie at 4:15am in all likelihood.

Just like on land, internet service doesn't always meet up to the advertised, ideal rate.

I would never, ever pay for anything but basic internet to read email or upload an occasional picture to social media.  I have these issues on all the cruise lines I have been on.

It's not fair.  It's not right.  But it's the way it is.  Life is too short. I would chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

This

And @mandwcruise I honestly wouldn't cruise with NCL until the sting wears off. You sound really upset and I would just book another cruise with someone else and not let that terrible experience ruin your other cruise. For me, feeling like I was ripped off by big companies festers in me and I have a hard time letting it go. It's why I will not sail with HAL, eat at chipotle (I placed an order and waited 1 hour for a burrito that would never come bc they ran out of ingredients), corner bakery, etc. Life's too short. For the life of me, I can't let go of those grudges against corporations (people are different of course), and cannot give them my money. 

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

This

And @mandwcruise I honestly wouldn't cruise with NCL until the sting wears off. You sound really upset and I would just book another cruise with someone else and not let that terrible experience ruin your other cruise. For me, feeling like I was ripped off by big companies festers in me and I have a hard time letting it go. It's why I will not sail with HAL, eat at chipotle (I placed an order and waited 1 hour for a burrito that would never come bc they ran out of ingredients), corner bakery, etc. Life's too short. For the life of me, I can't let go of those grudges against corporations (people are different of course), and cannot give them my money. 

I want so badly to disagree with you.  But my heart is pumping its fist in the air at your words, unfortunately.  The global Corporate oligarchy gets away with metaphoric murder.  Ordinary people standing tall against them when one of them behaves with impunity is all we have.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProfessorThiccems said:

... going on a cruise with NCL next week and will need to use zoom video for a work call. Do you think the boats wifi with premium package is good enough for that during the day at Great Stirrup Cay? I've also purchased a wifi hotspot with aliv and hoping that would be good enough too.

Hmmm, you are going to need more than good luck.  (Life) boats don't have WiFi - yes, NCL ships do have WiFi signals, except that - NCL changed their island coverage at GSC, unlike pre-Covid, they no longer "beam" (microwave tech involved, I believe - in those better days) the WiFi signal between the ship & the island, effectively killing the signal.  

For a serious & important zoom call that's work related, I wouldn't count on it - we're on the Getaway this March & simply could not find, despite using my scanning apps - to find the ship's WiFi signal.  BUT, there're multiple secured WiFi signals (SSiD) that I found so they knew - exactly - what they've done, changes made & were doing.

Your ALIV WiFi hotspot won't work either, because - we had trouble picking up the local cellular 4G signal on the island, again, they (NCL) blocked it ... needless to say, 5G smartphones & iPhones with 5G bands were equally useLESS.  Next morning, we docked at Nassau & that was sweet - because, we got solid 4G cellular signals and far superior over ship's satellite WiFi ... uploading & surfing, downloading crazy - probably spend about $10 USD for the usage due to "roaming" charges with 2 devices.  

My advice - YMMV, but can you do your Zoom call the day before GSC or after - assuming that you might be at another port in the Bahamas.  We're also cruising below 50% capacity 5 months ago, unlike these summer weeks with occupancies inching much higher ... extra loads stressing the satellite links.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I want so badly to disagree with you.  But my heart is pumping its fist in the air at your words, unfortunately.  The global Corporate oligarchy gets away with metaphoric murder.  Ordinary people standing tall against them when one of them behaves with impunity is all we have.   

Sadly, some corporations get away with actual murder, like intentionally releasing an unsafe product just so that they can make a buck.  

But yea, I vote with my dollars and my feet. If a corporation wrongs me, all I can do to really protest is to not buy their product. If I were to speak up against a company on social media with my face on there, there could repercussions from my employer and etc. 

I am not a fan of this fixed menu. I will vote with my dollars and my feet buy not cruising with NCL after I use my future cruise credits up.