Have I "outgrown" cruising? Or am I just done with Royal Caribbean?

On 7/29/2022 at 7:07 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

I may try another line. Problem is, I don't think a try "luxury" line is in the cards financially....Norwegian I have heard is just as hit or miss as RCI...and Celebrity may be nice, but I don't really want to reward RCI by still giving them my money. And I keep asking myself...maybe I should just pivot to the all-inclusive resort thing where, because I've paid up front (more admittedly) they literally only focus on all the little things that make my life easier and my stay better, rather than harder and more expensive. 

Norweigan Cruise line in our 1 experience was great... their entertainment is way better and more varied than Royal. we have been on about 10 Royal cruises and we have noticed a decline in the service we received all the 17 years ago we have sailed  with them. I really wanted to go with Norwegian this year to see if it was the same as our last experience but where we wanted to go was same ship AND same shows so decided to go again with Royal. Although we had a great holiday as nice to be away the MDR food was terrible and the entertainment was not that great imo so our next cruise will be with Norwegian to see what our thoughts are on that... the solarium in royal was great though - very relaxing and lovely surroundings

Wifi is important to me and I hate when it is bad.

My job allows me massive flexibility to be where ever I want to be as long as the job gets done with no set hours.  My wife has a certain number of hours per year she can take off.   I like my situation much better.

This does mean working on trips but only for a few hours and usually while my wife sleeps in a bit.  Wifi being solid (does not have to be spectacular) is important.

I don’t mind paying for internet; I just want to get a product that is worth the charge.  My home internet is wonky (we live in a rural area) and I contest charges with them when service is bad.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Since you mentioned 2008 quality diminishing and have sailed since I'm curious - have you noticed a that quality improve AFTER 2008 issues at some point or do you feel it's just been downhill ever since? I only started with Royal in 2019 so I don't have a way to compare myself.

No, things rarely “improve” once they see the guest will accept a lower level of quality without much pushback. 

• Like 6

On 7/29/2022 at 11:07 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

I asked the waiter “is one order of onion rings enough to share or should we order one each”. He said “it’s shareable”. So we ordered one. 

COVID spreads in the air. Not on surfaces. So they had us all packed in by the elevators breathing each other’s air so that we could wait to wash our hands to prevent non existent surface transmission. 

Hand washing helps prevent other things from spreading, namely Norovirus.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

No, things rarely “improve” once they see the guest will accept a lower level of quality without much pushback. 

That is my fear in all this, that we are effectively being trained to accept less service for more money.  We justify accepting lower levels of service and higher prices in hope that it's temporary.  We play along as faithful paying customers, helping out, keeping the company afloat while they work through these challenges.  Before too long, we forget what good service really was and now these lower level offering are the new normal.  This isn't just about RCCL or even cruise lines, but most any industry.  .  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

That is my fear in all this, that we are effectively being trained to accept less service for more money.  We justify accepting lower levels of service and higher prices in hope that it's temporary.  We play along as faithful paying customers, helping out, keeping the company afloat while they work through these challenges.  Before too long, we forget what good service really was and now these lower level offering are the new normal.  This isn't just about RCCL or even cruise lines, but most any industry.  .  

While this may be true, when it comes to cruising I can say enough is enough.  My October Allure cruise will be my first one since Feb, 2020.  It more than likely will be my last until the pre-cruise testing and possibility of being quarantined in a isolation cabin both go away.

At that point I will decide if cruising still offers me what I'm looking for in a vacation and if not, I'll do something else.

As much I I love what cruising used to be, it's not what my life is about - and IMO, it would be really sad if it was.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 11:08 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I think you will have a fine time aboard. If I were able to cruise in the Fall I'd be looking to get back on the ship. I did think there were some food quality issues in January but it all seemed resolved in April.

Thanks, OB.  Despite my reservations, I plan to go on this cruise and have a wonderful time.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 5:24 PM, karena1 said:

We have cruised since they started back up.  Sure, are some things not back to normal - of course.  But we have always had amazing service, good food, great shows, etc.  Guess I am more patient than many others, but I am so happy to be cruising again.  Been on 11 since last August and cannot wait to go again in 3 weeks.

Have you been on the Adventure lately?

On 7/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

I may try another line. Problem is, I don't think a try "luxury" line is in the cards financially....Norwegian I have heard is just as hit or miss as RCI...and Celebrity may be nice, but I don't really want to reward RCI by still giving them my money. And I keep asking myself...maybe I should just pivot to the all-inclusive resort thing where, because I've paid up front (more admittedly) they literally only focus on all the little things that make my life easier and my stay better, rather than harder and more expensive. 

After 40 cruises with Royal, I sailed Norwegian in June.  There is merit to trying to another line.....I had a great time and would sail them again, however I found myself making comparisons at every turn. At then end of the day, I have low expectations of food quality on any cruise - even the specialty restaurants can be hit or miss. 

I am on a b2b in November on Explorer and despite some negative reviews lately, I am going in with an open mind knowing things are not the same since Covid.

I hope your next cruise is much better!

I sailed on Freedom of the Seas last year and felt VERY similar to you and was wondering was it Royal or was it cruising; I just got off Celebrity a few weeks ago and it was a step up in every way - no long lines, food available much more easily even with less venues onboard, could find loungers on pool deck midday, little touches everywhere that made it feel premium and worth extra $$.  Your Royal Caribbean status transfers over to Celebrity.  

I have not read through the responses, but will give my thoughts. 

I understand what you are saying.  It is something that we feeling before COVID, not just about Royal, but also their competitors in the mass market space.  The symptoms were there before the pandemic.  Discussions about cutbacks, reduced quality, reduced service, upcharges, etc. were common on these boards then.  Many have observed and reported even more of the above since the restart.  Pandemic issues have added an entirely new and different level of concerns.

Pre pandemic, we were having similar concerns.   Our feelings can be summarized in 3 categories.

1.       Issues of decline discussed above.

2.       Ships too big and crowded with new things that we have little interest in.

3.       Changes in our own preferences over time.

In 2019, we decided to take a look at cruise lines a level up.  We sailed on HAL and found the smaller ship, service, cuisine, and other amenities more to our liking.  Since we like variety, we recently took a cruise on X and had similar feelings.  You may wish to try some of these lines.

However, it is not utopia.  You will find similar discussions that these lines are “not what they used to be” on boards for those lines.

We have not left the mass market lines altogether, but our go to line preferences have changed.  If a really good deal presents itself on one of them, we will take it, knowing fully what to expect.  We enjoy these cruises by focusing on things we like and avoiding things we don’t when possible.  The balcony can always be a relaxing alternative to the pool deck. 

We had a very enjoyable Carnival cruise doing this on a ship sailing at reduced capacity.  We also have an upcoming trip on Anthem and will do the same and base future decisions on that experience.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, PompeySailor said:

There are a few on here that will bash any critique of Royal.

Hey it’s bloody Cruise Critic for someone’s sake. 

Its called Cruise Critic not Cruise Cheeleaders. SMH

Maybe it’s time for this site to be rebranded and renamed.

There  are a few on here that have never experienced anything bad or negative EVER.

They are the ones where you could spill your drink over them and they would apologize for you doing it.

They could miss every port, be served cold food, not get the cabin they were assigned and moan about people wearing shorts in the MDR

And it would have been the best cruise ever.

Oh and when they sailed that ship 10years ago (not recently) it was amazing and zero issues, with no knowledge or current experience of what is happening in the present.

I predominantly sail Royal but have strayed and am straying more and more in the future.

MSC is a good alternative to try and I would recommend giving it a go.

We have had Excellent,  very good, good and one or two below par cruises in our cruising lifespan.

And we have had the bad one as well.

Don't give up on cruising, as others have said give another company a crack

Happy Days!

Thanks for your honest review 👍🏻

p.s. Bring on the Pom Poms 

You forgot that they are allways quoting the "Cruise Contract"

My wife (who loves RCI) got off Anthem in 2020 and said it reminded her of how good Princess is.
I don't believe there is a perfect cruise line, but some are good at one thing and less so at another.

Our ideal would be a combination of these two.

Maybe you just need a change.

12 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

After 40 cruises with Royal, I sailed Norwegian in June.  There is merit to trying to another line.....I had a great time and would sail them again, however I found myself making comparisons at every turn. At then end of the day, I have low expectations of food quality on any cruise - even the specialty restaurants can be hit or miss. 

I am on a b2b in November on Explorer and despite some negative reviews lately, I am going in with an open mind knowing things are not the same since Covid.

I hope your next cruise is much better!

Now, this is not a critical review or rebuke of you, @ckrobyn.  I just find it funny when people say that they are going to keep an open mind about something that they have already heard + or - comments about.  It like a judge telling a jury to disregard a previous statement.  

That doesn't mean that YOU can't be fair and/or be fairly objective.  

9 minutes ago, Okraf said:

My wife (who loves RCI) got off Anthem in 2020 and said it reminded her of how good Princess is.
I don't believe there is a perfect cruise line, but some are good at one thing and less so at another.

Our ideal would be a combination of these two.

Maybe you just need a change.

My wife and her mother (her mother preferred and paid for the cruise), (I didn't go with them 😁) took an Alaskan cruise on a Princess ship.  At that time we (my wife and I) were loyal to Carnival.  Believe it or not, she preferred Carnival over Princess. 

Edited by Ret MP

I wasn't going to comment on something but I'm going to after reading one or two comments here.  

"CHEERLEADING" needs to be defined by those that want to use it as a way to diminish someone's loyalty to a brand. 

I agree that blind loyalty is not a good thing.  But, just because I'm loyal to a certain brand doesn't mean that I'm a "CHEERLEADER" 

I believe a "CHEERLEADER" should be defined as wrongfully supporting something that isn't true or is solely based on opinion but is presented as fact. Just because I say that the Hamburgers in the buffet are the best I've ever eaten, doesn't mean that they are and it also doesn't mean that I'm a "CHEERLEADER", I just gave my opinion.  If someone says that an inside cabin has no balcony and I say that an inside cabin has a balcony and is a large spacious cabin, that's "CHEERLEADING"  Bad example, but that's what I came up with in a hurry.  

Edited by Ret MP
Once again I mistakenly hit the save button before I was done.

45 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Now, this is not a critical review or rebuke of you, @ckrobyn.  I just find it funny when people say that they are going to keep an open mind about something that they have already heard + or - comments about.  It like a judge telling a jury to disregard a previous statement.  

That doesn't mean that YOU can't be fair and/or be fairly objective.  

Why? They're just setting themselves up to either be pleasantly surprised at best, or just not as disappointed at worst.  Consider the alternatives 😉

39 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I wasn't going to comment on something but I'm going to after reading one or two comments here.  

"CHEERLEADING" needs to be defined by those that want to use it as a way to diminish someone's loyalty to a brand. 

I agree that blind loyalty is not a good thing.  But, just because I'm loyal to a certain brand doesn't mean that I'm a "CHEERLEADER" 

I believe a "CHEERLEADER" should be defined as wrongfully supporting something that isn't true or is solely based on opinion but is presented as fact. Just because I say that the Hamburgers in the buffet are the best I've ever eaten, doesn't mean that they are and it also doesn't mean that I'm a "CHEERLEADER", I just gave my opinion.  If someone says that an inside cabin has no balcony and I say that an inside cabin has a balcony and is a large spacious cabin, that's "CHEERLEADING"  Bad example, but that's what I came up with in a hurry.  

This is why I prefer the word "apologist".... then it isn't about loyalty, only about what people are willing to accept and provide excuses for.

50 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Why? They're just setting themselves up to either be pleasantly surprised at best, or just not as disappointed at worst.  Consider the alternatives 😉

That could be true.  But, that's not what I was saying or the premise of my comment.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:48 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Anyone who is satisfied with "camping in the ocean" would obviously think the OP, or anyone else with and issue, "doth protest over much".🙄 Most prople don't book a reservation on a billion dollar cruise ship to go camping. Absurd.

Camping describes it to a tee.  Not even Super-8 has 140 square foot rooms, my camper is even bigger.  Most of the free dining options on board would be called "Mom and Pop Joint"s in any midwest town.  The MDR is exactly what I find at user group conventions or charity banquets.  The Windjammer could just as well put up a "Golden Corral" sign.  As far as transportation to 5 different "towns" on an 11 night trip, I'd put it on par with Greyhound.  How should I tote up the $150 per night that's my usual discounted balcony rate?  Splitting it evenly between room, board, and transportation leaves nothing for free beverages at night clubs/bars/shows.  If I want to elevate my experience above camping, there's a whole lot of extras I could pay for, after all it's just money.  

On 7/29/2022 at 11:07 AM, CuseJeff44 said:

We've only been on Celebrity once - the Solstice to Alaska in 2019. We found Celebrity to be better than RC, Princess and Carnival in every way, for not much more money. I wish Celebrity did more on the West Coast.