Ncl pearl

sullyd

17 minutes ago, sullyd said:

Is it true or B.S.

True, a woman posted on the fb 

Ncl latitudes page she is currently on the sailing .She was awaken at 2 am by a loud bang like they hit something or something hit them ,followed by the ship doing a huge dip to one side then back to normal. Followed by a code over the speakers.

18 minutes ago, sullyd said:

Is it true or B.S.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

True, a woman posted on the fb 

Ncl latitudes page she is currently on the sailing .She was awaken at 2 am by a loud bang like they hit something or something hit them ,followed by the ship doing a huge dip to one side then back to normal. Followed by a code over the speakers.

It’s true. Friends are onboard and confirmed. They really felt it and bottles fell off the shelves at the bar. 

According to MarineTraffic Pearl slowed down and stopped east of Nantucket Island, and nothing after that (meaning Pearl went off range). 

Anyhow, CruiseMapper is showing her speeding toward Bermuda at 24 knots. 

Edited by bluesea777

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Oh my goodness...!!!

Is everyone okay on the smaller boat?

Is there a link to any news outlet?

How far out were they?

GC

There was a search and rescue for the fishing troller.  Reports say that the cruise ship literally went right over the fishing vessel!  

Haven't seen anything on any new media yet!  NCL hasn't released a statement, and if you call NCL the staff don't know or aren't saying anything about it.

About 50 miles east of Nantucket is where the cruise ship had stopped.

5 minutes ago, Country Enchantment said:

There was a search and rescue for the fishing troller.  Reports say that the cruise ship literally went right over the fishing vessel!  

Haven't seen anything on any new media yet!  NCL hasn't released a statement, and if you call NCL the staff don't know or aren't saying anything about it.

😱

I don't know how else to respond to this information.

A smaller boat may have been seriously hit... and the Pearl just went on its way...!?

I suppose if it happened right near Nantucket, there would be US Coast Guard responding in a pretty effective way, but still.......

And as for the Sun, with something of this sort, are they sure she is truly sea-worthy still?

But I'm more concerned about the smaller boat.

And... how can this happen with modern navigational equipment (on the Sun at the least!)?

😱

GC

12 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you have a link to the YouTube?

Thanks.

GC

From what I understand YT took it down for some reason. Reports stated that Port Side Delta was called several times. @chengkp75 can you help decipher what may have happened? This is the post from FB;

C83BB7EB-155C-4530-AD70-3F0A182BC306.png

Edited by HBCcruiser

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

From what I understand YT took it down for some reason. Reports stated that Port Side Delta was called several times. @chengkp75 can you help decipher what may have happened? This is the post from FB;

C83BB7EB-155C-4530-AD70-3F0A182BC306.png

Thank you.

As upsetting as having something interfere with the next cruise, I'm very worried about those on board the smaller vessel, given everyone on the Pearl seems to be okay.  But with a jolt like that, someone could have been injured...

... and how this could even happen with modern equipment.

It's really unthinkable... but apparently not!

I hope chengkp75 checks in soon to help us understand this.

GC

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

😱

I don't know how else to respond to this information.

A smaller boat may have been seriously hit... and the Pearl just went on its way...!?

I suppose if it happened right near Nantucket, there would be US Coast Guard responding in a pretty effective way, but still.......

And as for the Sun PEARL, with something of this sort, are they sure she is truly sea-worthy still?

But I'm more concerned about the smaller boat.

And... how can this happen with modern navigational equipment (on the Sun at the least!)?

😱

GC

Sorry... I had the NCL Sun on my mind, as I was just looking at some sailings in the future.

Duh.

GC

And... how can this happen with modern navigational equipment

Early morning, so it was dark.  If something happened on that smaller vessel and caused lighting and the AIS to go out the only option for the Pearl to "see" the smaller vessel would be by radar or sight.  Without AIS and lights, it could have gotten lost in surface clutter on the radar.

Every thread on Facebook about this is pulled as soon as it is posted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gravitar said:

Thanks.

Wonderful news.  No fatalities, and it seems no major injuries.  (How did that happen!?)

And the smaller vessel was taken to New Bedford.

Good to know.

It could have been so much worse.

(I wonder how they knew the Pearl was truly not too damaged to continue heading out into the Atlantic...)

Glad to hear this before nodding off for the night.

GC

4 hours ago, Country Enchantment said:

The fishing boat hit the Pearl mid-ship. The Pearl did not "run over" the fishing vessel. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:4030753/mmsi:367720810/imo:0/vessel:GABBY_G#:~:text=Fishing GABBY G is currently,20%3A03 UTC (now)

• Like 2

(I wonder how they knew the Pearl was truly not too damaged to continue heading out into the Atlantic..

Because it wasn't leaking??? Unless water is pouring in, it's probably not too serious. 

16 hours ago, sullyd said:

Saw a YouTube video they hit a fishing boat around 330 am his morning?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/cruise-ship-strikes-fishing-boat-near-nantucket/2794495/?fbclid=IwAR0vp61C-4PSkgPV17GQ4ukSwuFM3CFJolSJ4J007dfmAUAQpLVJe8qzMxA

I was sleeping so didn't hear a thing 🤪( I live on Nantucket ) 

Edited by fox02554

46 minutes ago, fox02554 said:

The fishing boat did the equivalent of running a red light and hit the Pearl who was in the intersection with a green light because the Pearl was hit in the left rear. Here are the rules of the road for motor boats: 1. If another vessel is approaching you from the port — or left — side of your boat, you have the right of way and should maintain your speed and direction. 2. If a vessel is aiming to cross your path and they're on your starboard — or right — side, they have the right of way.

• Like 2