Black Friday Sale onboard a Dam ship?

PACD_JG

I'm looking to go on another Alaska cruise in July 2023, but the current fares are a bit more than I'm willing to pay.  I'll be on the Nieuw Statendam over Thanksgiving.  Two questions - what kind of perk should I expect if booking onboard the ship, and should I expect a Black Friday sale?  TIA.

30 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

I'm looking to go on another Alaska cruise in July 2023, but the current fares are a bit more than I'm willing to pay.  I'll be on the Nieuw Statendam over Thanksgiving.  Two questions - what kind of perk should I expect if booking onboard the ship, and should I expect a Black Friday sale?  TIA.

Just guessing...a Black Friday sale probably would just add something like free gratuities to the existing Have It All package.  Nothing major but still worth at least a couple hundred dollars for a 7 day cruise.  Other promotions they have run were things like get a free upgrade from an oceanview cabin to an obstructed balcony cabin.  Once again, a value of probably a couple hundred dollars, not an earthshattering price discount. 

• Like 3

I agree with AFNavigator.  Remember with HAL you can refare to take advantage of a current promotion as many times as you wish up to final payment.  Be sure to read the terms of the onboard future cruise program to see if it suits you better.   I think you may find a copy of that on Roger’s page “Roger Jett Photograhy”

• Like 2

In addition to the Black Friday Sale (usually Crew Appreciation included in fare, whether HIA or basic no-refund) you will get OBC for booking onboard. Last Thanksgiving the OBC was $125 pp for 10-night Verandah and $250 for 11-night Signature.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I'm looking to go on another Alaska cruise in July 2023, but the current fares are a bit more than I'm willing to pay. 

Right now the Book Early And Save promo is on -- HIA including Shore Excursion, Drink Package, Specialty Dining, WiFi, OBC, Crew Appreciation, and 50% Reduced Deposit. And better picks for your cabin than in four months! And refundable/refareable if somehow they come up with something better or your plans change.

• Like 1

Great advice given to the OP so far!  Let me add that when I see a reasonable/good deal I book it and select my cabin, with REFUNDABLE fares.  Then I monitor the fares and if I see a better deal I call my TA/PCC and ask to refare the cabin I already have.  Works great for me.

• Like 1

I have heard that your Operator, PCC, or Travel Agent can quote a fare that is between the Best Price (non-refundable) and the Best Value (refundable HIA). I believe that it is called "Advantage Fare". I have not done this. When I look at the difference between non-refundable and HIA (especially this promo!), HIA really is the best value. The drink package and wifi about makes it breakeven, so the other perks really are all bonuses. 

I have always gotten the best black Friday specials combining Cruise Line and Travel Agent promos. So if HAL is offering a Black Friday perk, be sure to combine it with a Black Friday perk directly from your Travel Agent. They typically aren't tremendous deals, but if these happen to fall before final payment it's easy to add the extra OBC directly to your booking. I typically have 3 agencies I work with. Most will offer the double OBC bonus the entire weekend. Some only on Black Friday, and one year I could only get it on cyber Monday.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Thanks all.  My Koningsdam cruise this June in a Vista Suite for 4 with HIA and crew incentive and 2 free White Pass Rail Excursions was $5238.  July 2023 for 4 in a verandah with HIA and crew incentive is $6876.  I understand recouping lost income, but ouch.

Alaska is pretty much always higher priced than some other more common itineraries.  For example a couple years ago I went to Alaska in a Signature Suite for a week for $6000.  The exact same cabin on the same ship a few months later on a one week Mexican Riviera cruise was $4000.  Other destinations such as Norway are more also.

13 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Thanks all.  My Koningsdam cruise this June in a Vista Suite for 4 with HIA and crew incentive and 2 free White Pass Rail Excursions was $5238.  July 2023 for 4 in a verandah with HIA and crew incentive is $6876.  I understand recouping lost income, but ouch.

Of course this season is lower than average as the lines are trying to fill cabins.  Next season they are expecting back to normal demand and pricing.  Would be interesting to compare to pre-covid prices.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s been my experience that hal starts with very high fares out of the gate and they lower them over time.  I’m not talking once a year itineraries, world cruises or very long cruises.  I’ve never gotten an amazing fare right out of the gate.

Very true.  I think HAL relies on the fact that most people do not check pricing once they book nor do they know that you can do a refare.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Very true.  I think HAL relies on the fact that most people do not check pricing once they book nor do they know that you can do a refare.

I agree.  I check often.  That said hal tried to tell me I couldn’t refare because I have club orange and I’d already had one reduction.  This is a fully refundable fare before final. They did me a “favor” 🙄and let me have it.  I won’t be buying club orange before final again. 

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I agree.  I check often.  That said hal tried to tell me I couldn’t refare because I have club orange and I’d already had one reduction.  This is a fully refundable fare before final. They did me a “favor” 🙄and let me have it.  I won’t be buying club orange before final again. 

Except that it will reduce your cabin upgrade choices if you wait.

28 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Except that it will reduce your cabin upgrade choices if you wait.

I know, that’s the trade off.  I’m not terribly picky about my cabin as long as it’s not over a loud bar/space I’m pretty ok.  Hal should not treat people this way when the specifically pick a refundable fare.

8 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Of course this season is lower than average as the lines are trying to fill cabins.  Next season they are expecting back to normal demand and pricing.  Would be interesting to compare to pre-covid prices.

My first world dilemma:  at $5238 I rated my cruise experience a 9 out of 10.  If I would have paid $7752 (which is what they are asking now), I would have only given my cruise a 6 out of 10 because my ratings are based on value.  HAL gave me the quality drug but I'm not an addict yet.  Anyhow, I'll wish for a sale in one hand...

8 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

My first world dilemma:  at $5238 I rated my cruise experience a 9 out of 10.  If I would have paid $7752 (which is what they are asking now), I would have only given my cruise a 6 out of 10 because my ratings are based on value.  HAL gave me the quality drug but I'm not an addict yet.  Anyhow, I'll wish for a sale in one hand...

If you liked Alaska you will love Norway and HAL usually offers some pretty sweet deals for Norway 

• Like 1