Confused about the expectation vs. reality in level of service- looking for insight

Miadessa

I am confused and hoping some folks who have sailed traditional cruise lines in suites (eg-  Star Class on Royal Caribbean, Haven on NCL) can help me understand the value proposition for sailing Cunard.   I sailed in May and have another sailing booked that I made prior to the first sailing and am now possibly regretting my choice?

Disclaimer- I loathe complainers.  I am on vacation and want to enjoy every minute of it- complaining and focusing on the negative just ruins that.  I am posting this in the spirit of gaining insight within relative comparison to help me level set on expectations.   None of the below examples are major issues- just shared within the context of comparison of Cunard vs. other cruise lines.  Please no hate- I am genuinely looking for insight. I am not intending to bash anyone or anything- if we are taking even 1 vacation we are more fortunate than most people in this world. 

First, the QM2 itself is fabulous!  Loved the smaller, more intimate feel, but at the same time how spacious QM2 feels.  Loved the activities and the slower, relaxed pace. Second, the guests onboard the QM2 were absolutely lovely- even more than on other lines.   Everyone we encountered were super-friendly, pleasant and helpful (as one guest told me with a smile, "We all help each other out in the laundry room").   We enjoyed getting to know our fellow passengers and sharing stories.  Unfortunately, and in a very obvious way, this did not extend to the people who work for Cunard.  Customer service people over the phone were borderline rude with a derisive tone to every question I have asked.  Celebrating a special occasion- well, "you can buy a cake if you want, but no, they don't do anything special".   On other cruise lines I have been surprised with rooms being decorated, celebratory cake, etc. Heck, many restaurants on land will give you a special dessert on the house for a special occasion.

Many staff around the ship answered our cheery hello's with grunts or no response at all.  I am used to friendly greetings/responses from everyone I see on other cruise lines. 

Also, is the Concierge role on Cunard different from NCL, Celebrity, Royal, etc.?  I asked the Concierge for help because my room card was not working.  He told me to go to guest services.  I am, by no means, above standing in line, and appreciate that it would be a minor inconvenience, but then, what is his function?  We happened to still in the concierge lounge when, a few moments later, he advised that he was going down to help another customer anyway if I still wanted him to take care of the issue.   Hmmm... okay....  so was this something he was supposed to help with, or not?   If not, what kinds of services does the Cunard Concierge provide?

The Princess Grills Maitre D' came over to our table at breakfast one morning while we were waiting on coffee refills to (ironically) brag about the level of service that Cunard provides over any other line in the industry.  We just didn't see it.  Everyone just seemed so disinterested in helping.  

I am just genuinely confused because other luxury services (even outside of the cruise industry- vacations, shopping, dining, etc.), which Cunard seems to brand themselves as, are just so much better.  They speak about "unparalleled service" and clearly think they are offering it, but I just don't see it.  They were average, and underwhelming.  I have sailed on several cruise lines since Covid, so it isn't that.  What am I missing?  Were they really good at some point, but now not?  Has Covid hit them harder than other lines and they haven't been able to get great people back?  Has management changed? Is morale within the company really low?  Is it considered "low brow" to go above and beyond the way the other cruise lines do?  Am I too "low brow" to appreciate some other aspect of the service?  Please help me if you have any insight.  Thanks!!!!

Edited by Miadessa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I sailed QM2 in July and I found the service to be excellent.  Everyone was very, very cordial to us whenever we said hello, and more than helpful at the guest services desk.  Some of the customer requests were ridiculous, but the Cunard staff always replied patiently and with respect. The phone reps I spoke with at Cunard were outstanding, and I had a few issues that took some time.  My room steward and restaurant staff were wonderful.

Perhaps, as they say, "it's not you, it's me."   Maybe you are used to a more expressive style, versus the more reserved British approach. Cunard is a tad more formal and traditional overall in style.  Cruise lines that cater to Americans like to celebrate anything and everything, and are much more comfortable being demonstrative.  Even the photography studio told me many British are more shy and reserved about getting photos taken, as compared to American clients.  That is why there are fewer photo opportunities on board. Finally, maybe you are looking for Service, with a capital S, instead of considering staff as potential colleagues and being casually friendly.

I, too, have sailed on multiple cruise lines, and I know how hard staff work.  Covid overwhelmed the cruise industry, and they are still in recovery.  I try not to judge cruises just by the service, but by my overall experience--great ports of call, relaxing days at sea, entertaining evenings, comfortable cabin, tasty dining, value for money,  and so forth.  I return to Cunard because I love the formal experience--where else can we wear our tux and gowns and feel at home?  When I just want nonstop fun and a more casual time I choose lines like RC and NCL.  My expectations are based on decades of cruising, and I continue to be a faithful cruise customer!

• Like 5

On our voyage in July, again, the service was great and the staff were super. The Grills concierge was very helpful. Not the same one you experienced as it was a she. I admit the Purser's Office has the least friendly staff. The cabin and restaurant staff were great, and everyone encountered working around the ship, even those with clearly limited English, would smile and say 'Good Monring, madam.' The staff were notably helpful and kind when I got Covid and had to be isolated. Few of them were effusive, but that is not the British tradition, but they were warm. I don't know, but with so many elderly passengers, I imagine Cunard fear it is rather tasteless to make much of birthdays, unless it is requested.

I do think you may simply have been a bit unlucky.

30 minutes ago, s.s.France said:

I never had to go to the pursers desk. The Concierge and the Butler took care of all my needs, including malfunctioning keycards.

I have made visits to the Front Desk on Victoria and I suppose if I was looking for effusive smiles with their efficiency. I'd be disappointed, but if I was looking for quick efficiency, I'd be very happy.

I'll go with the latter.  🙂

• Like 1

I am presently on QM2 and the service has been excellent overall. However I am not in Grills. The guys and gals serving in the restaurant are terrific. Very friendly obliging and efficient. I even hear them singing. Nothing seems too much trouble. I have been to pursers several times and each time I have been politely treated. That goes for the tour desk too. The fellow doing our cabin has been friendly and efficient.  
I was on in April and the staff seemed stressed with Covid. Also seemed understaffed then. This time much more like what I am used to on Cunard. I love this ship but I have to say she is looking a little tired and in need of some TLC.

Over all our voyage of 28 days has been wonderful. 

Edited by moses0
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, moses0 said:

I was on in April and the staff seemed stressed with Covid. Also seemed understaffed then. This time much more like what I am used to on Cunard. I love this ship but I have to say she is looking a little tired and in need of some TLC.

Over all our voyage of 28 days has been wonderful. 

Last week and the week before, I was impressed by how many people I saw all over the place, who were doing maintenance work on the ship, so I think she is beginning to get the tlc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Last week and the week before, I was impressed by how many people I saw all over the place, who were doing maintenance work on the ship, so I think she is beginning to get the tlc.

That is good news ! 

Our July 1st QM2 cruises we noticed how badly she needed rust treatment and paint but few were working on that then.

All this talk of staff being polite and friendly etc reminds me of one day when a student of mine asked me:

"How come that every day you come in to teach us you are always the same? - happy, smiling, polite, enthusiastic? You never seem to have a bad day, or be grumpy, or impatient or irritable - how do you do it?"

I replied "It's my job."

13 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

So, by analogy, you would gladly accept moody behaviour from staff on the ships? I think they are better trained than that.

Not analogous at all, because the professions are so different. But if they had just received very bad news from home, say, of a death, I hope I should at least be understanding. However, I agree service staff are paid to be polite and efficient, but I'm not sure they are paid to be kind, and I have received considerable kindness over the years.

It’s called the hospitality  business for a reason.

I think a comparatively small number of employees effect the passenger which is why we see such different reviews from people on identical sailings.

A great wait staff, a competent  room steward, a bartender that knows your drink is a good expectation. 

I would be freakin annoyed with the concierge telling me to go to the pursers deck, that is unacceptable. I am not paying five times the base fare to run all over the ship. I have arthritis and a bad hip. And I am paying a premium so I can get more assistance. 
I am fine with people meeting the bar of being competent at their jobs. 

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2

I found two of the folk I dealt with at the purser's desk to be fairly curt in their responses, but were able to answer the questions put to them or carry out the request, well at least partially.

I bumped into an officer sporting, I think, a "Food & Beverages Director" badge beside a very busy queue/line and took the opportunity to have a word about something that particularly annoys me and appears to be Carnival policy.  He was very dismissive. Whether that was because of the scenario in which we held the exchange or simply as it was a Carnival policy that he had no control over, I don't know.  I wasn't impressed by that, but it was the only time I came across him in 2 weeks.

Everyone else was very pleasant and with exception of one waiter who hadn't figured out how to make an americano coffee all knew what they were doing.

We came across one issue.  They have a system in lounges where if you have said you don't want further service they clear the table and place a single paper napkin on the table. This indicates your status to other waiters and they don't annoy you by continually asking if you want anything else.

That backfired once. We'd finished our aperitifs and were about to head for diner. Our table neighbours had just come into the lounge and sat across from us. As we were vacating our 2 window seats, they replaced us as we got up. The waiters obviously didn't see our manouvre and due to the napkin thought they didn't require service. When they eventually flagged down a waiter they promptly removed the napkin whilst taking their order. We discussed this later at table and one of the waiters confirmed the system when we asked about it that night.

Perhaps something to bear in mind if one quickly grabs a recently vacated table.

Doubt I would do PG or QG.  It may be irrational but I feel very uncomfortable with staff running after me. I have never had cause to use a concierge in a hotel and can't see why that would be any different on a ship. A polite note to our room stewardess achieved anything we required.

7 minutes ago, D&N said:

I bumped into an officer sporting, I think, a "Food & Beverages Director" badge beside a very busy queue/line and took the opportunity to have a word about something that particularly annoys me and appears to be Carnival policy.  He was very dismissive....

I have never had cause to use a concierge in a hotel and can't see why that would be any different on a ship. A polite note to our room stewardess achieved anything we required.

First off, I would fault the officer's response. Unfortunately, that illustrates one of the few things that I really dislike about Cunard and seems to be part of their corporate "style."  In many cases, the staff (seldom the waitstaff or stewards, but often at the Pursers) have a superior, "we're Cunard and what we do is best" attitude. 

As for concierge - it's different than in a hotel. On the ship, the concierge is where you can go for pretty much everything that you'd wait in line at the Purser's desk for. (except perhaps cruise cards, because they don't have the machines, I believe). In addition to the purser's services, they also have tickets to Planetarium shows and can help with booking reservations for dinner as well as shuttles & transfers. We find them extremely helpful. (The concierge lounge also has coffee, tea, light snacks and afternoon tea goodies.)

• Like 1

Thanks @MarkBearSF,

We didn't find any time for shows. That will be the case as long as we can find a dance venue of any sort. We established a routine that just fitted into our day. It was challenging to continue it in the shorter days eastbound. But we'll follow the exact same routine next time.

None of the paid for eating venue menus appealed to us either. We have no need for shuttles & transfers. Photos suggest the concierge lounge doesn't have a machine capable of making an americano to my taste and I don't see Tea Forté for my wife. We avoid snacking between meals.

I'm sure most folk find it very useful.

Regarding pursers desk service, we found phoning them to be more effective.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, bbtablet said:

All this talk of staff being polite and friendly etc reminds me of one day when a student of mine asked me:

"How come that every day you come in to teach us you are always the same? - happy, smiling, polite, enthusiastic? You never seem to have a bad day, or be grumpy, or impatient or irritable - how do you do it?"

I replied "It's my job."

Good for you!!   Research has shown that persuasion is most effective when speakers are enthusiastic about their subject and happy to be speaking.  Actually, anyone serving the public in any way should take note.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for the responses.  I hope that I see what others have seen and that my experience was unique due to Covid stressors and/or re-start issues.    Good to know that the Concierge's role on Cunard is no different from other lines.  I will be more confident in my requests, should I have any need for assistance on my next voyage.  Hopefully staff will be a bit friendlier as it is just proper manners, in general, to respond with a "hello" or "good afternoon" back and not grunt in response to someone greeting you- regardless of whether you are a customer or employee. I am not expecting overly effusive, as I have worked closely with Brits for many years, have travelled throughout the UK a few times, so I am familiar with the culture difference to the US.  I am just expecting reasonable requests and issues/concerns to be addressed efficiently and without a dismissive or superior attitude.  Hopefully that will be my experience next month.  I am doing a b2b, with the first week in a regular room and the second in a PG, so it will be interesting to be able compare the two experiences so close together.

• Like 2

In fact, I have usually found the crew, even if not in passenger care, are usually the ones to greet passengers first. A grunt has been very rare, thank heavens. I can quite see why you found it so offputting. Whatever level cabin you are in, you are entitled to the same level of courtesy.

And, incidentally, if you have worked closely with people from the UK, you will probably know that many of us don't really like being referred to as Brits.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

And, incidentally, if you have worked closely with people from the UK, you will probably know that many of us don't really like being referred to as Brits.

Really?

As an Englishman, I can without a doubt say that I have never in my life met a fellow countryperson who minded the term Brit.  I can understand why some of the more nationalist-minded Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh might make a thing of it, but again I've never heard any one from those countries complain either.

What is your recommended generic term for people from the British Isles?

Edited by cruising.mark.uk

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In fact, I have usually found the crew, even if not in passenger care, are usually the ones to greet passengers first. A grunt has been very rare, thank heavens. I can quite see why you found it so offputting. Whatever level cabin you are in, you are entitled to the same level of courtesy.

We (US and Swiss colleagues) jokingly  referred to our colleagues in the UK as "Brits" and we were "you Americans" (with, I believe, "dumb" implied to be inserted between the two)  🙂

You are correct.  I should have referred to them appropriately here.

• Like 1