Trieste to Marco Polo Airport - Earliest HAL Transfer

Keata

Has anyone recently used the HAL Transfer and do you remember what the earliest transfer departure is?  We have a 1 PM back to Canada and want to ensure we have enough time.  Thank you in advance.

50 minutes ago, Keata said:

Has anyone recently used the HAL Transfer and do you remember what the earliest transfer departure is?  We have a 1 PM back to Canada and want to ensure we have enough time.  Thank you in advance.

I have a 1 pm flight too and am concerned about the HAL transfer.

Assuming HAL sticks to the time showing on our excursion - it says departs at 7:30 AM.   It’s a 2 hour drive on the bus from reports I have read here.  My concern is the drop off.  There will be lots of different flights so when we get dropped off for ours is questionable.

Unless someone can ease my fears I’ll be doing a private transfer.  That’s been my usual modus operandi and has worked out well 🤞 

1 hour ago, Keata said:

Is June 24th recent enough?

The first transfer was timed for 6.00 am and the group was called to disembark at 6am.  There are no formalities on disembarking and the buses were parked very close.

We were scheduled for 7.30 am transfer and we were called for disembarkation at 7.30 am.  It was 9.55 am when we arrived at the airport coach park.  It did take a time to get everyone on the bus, make sure all luggage was stored underneath (amazing the number of pax who tried to bring large suitcases actually onto the bus 🙄) and get underway, but two and half hours from dismbarkation to Marco Polo was a good result.

Please note that we docked in Trieste on the previous day and spent overnight docked, so it was easier than a morning arrival, docking and disembarkation.

It is a short walk from the coach park to the terminal building at Marco Polo, but the terminal is very busy.

Pre flight security was a long, long queue.  If I had a 1pm flight to Canada, I would be looking at an earlier transfer.

• Thanks 2

I have a 11:10 flight out of Venice sure hope I get on the 6:00 transfer but flying business and I understand there is a separate security check for folks flying directly to the United States. 

Edited by ncgolferette

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Is June 24th recent enough?

It sure is 😉

The first transfer was timed for 6.00 am and the group was called to disembark at 6am.  There are no formalities on disembarking and the buses were parked very close.

Thanks Colin - we are overnighting as well so it sounds like we should be able to disembark at 6 or 6:30 am if we are so inclined.  

I was concerned as the only time HAL was showing for the transfer was 7:30 making me think we couldn’t get off until then.

That’s a huge help for me.   You are a life saver.   Thank you 👍 

Keata and Kazu

Marco Polo airport has always been a zoo - so do try to get there earlier. I am going to make the assumption that you are flying AC direct to either Toronto or Montreal.

Please note that as you enter the terminal building do not go up to the departure level for check-in. The check in for Air Canada is on the ground floor. As you walk in turn to the right and keep walking. I believe check in still starts around 10 AM. 

Not sure what the situation is for Transat.

Edited by RD64
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Keata said:

@VMax1700 @RD64 Thank you both so much.  Yes it is an Air Canada Flight.  We are in Business Class and I do have 50K Status with the airline. 

Here is the map of the first floor (i.e. one floor above ground level).  I have marked the priority entrance in red.  With AC you will check in on the ground floor and then go to the first floor.  In our case the security queue snaked around the inspection area and all the way down the hallway, so you will need to make sure that you do not join the queue, but just walk towards the car hire desks and enter the Priority Lane.

1133020534_VCEPriorityLane.thumb.jpg.4fdc32725bd0c0d4ad4d40973dfa5b0a.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Keata and Kazu

Marco Polo airport has always been a zoo - so do try to get there earlier. I am going to make the assumption that you are flying AC direct to either Toronto or Montreal.

Please note that as you enter the terminal building do not go up to the departure level for check-in. The check in for Air Canada is on the ground floor. As you walk in turn to the right and keep walking. I believe check in still starts around 10 AM. 

Not sure what the situation is for Transat.

Good guess at A/C - biz class .

Thank you - huge help and so appreciated 👍 

I should have mentioned that there is a priority lane for security (for those flying at the pointy end).  I think I have a map somewhere and if I find it I will post it.

27 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Here is the map of the first floor (i.e. one floor above ground level).  I have marked the priority entrance in red.  With AC you will check in on the ground floor and then go to the first floor.  In our case the security queue snaked around the inspection area and all the way down the hallway, so you will need to make sure that you do not join the queue, but just walk towards the car hire desks and enter the Priority Lane.

1133020534_VCEPriorityLane.thumb.jpg.4fdc32725bd0c0d4ad4d40973dfa5b0a.jpg

Thank you so much - so much help.  I have a lot more confidence now.  I’ll definitely do private even if no one wants to join me.  It will be worth it.

So appreciate your help ♥️ 

• Thanks 1

Also - once you get to the boarding gate / lounge try to find a seat away from the windows.The sun comes in, and you will feel like an ant under a magnifying glass.

Take some time to check out the shops  - wine, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chocolates, and if it is in the fall - panettone brands that you can’t get in Canada.

One last thing - if nothing has changed you will get to experience taking a bus to the plane. Not to many sky bridges here. From the arrival side, nothing says you have arrived in Venice quite like walking down the stairs of the plane and hopping on the bus to take you to the terminal. Is this the October Rome to Trieste cruise? I am looking at this one also.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

I’m on the October 10 Rome to Trieste cruise.  

Yes that is the one I am looking at as well - thankfully I won’t have the same transportation issues as I have relatives in Trieste, with the majority of my relatives about an hour away. I plan on staying until the 28th or 29th. Air Canada’s seasonal direct flights to Toronto end on one of those days.

Our HAL transfer from Trieste to Venice on 16 July worked well. As far as I could tell

the whole operation functioned very efficiently with the first coaches leaving in plenty of time

for check-in at Marco Polo for early afternoon departures. 

• Thanks 1

We were also on the 16 July transfer to Venice. Our flight departure was 1310 we boarded our bus appr. 0730, was only half full. I hope I never have to fly out of Marco Polo again, what a zoo, Toronto by comparison is a well organized operation. After finding the AC desk which took a bit, them trying to find were security check was, there are different ones, after clearing security you then walk through a very long duty free shop to get to the customs clearing check point. After that you find your gate. There are very few places at the gate to try & find something to eat, they are all behind you in the duty free shop, what a mess. Your bus times are based on your flight times, we had lots of time.

• Thanks 1