Unusual Concierge Service?

Imalismom

Has anyone had any problems with the concierge service not up to standards recently?

I have tried three different times to make reservations with our concierge to be told nothing was available - to go downstairs to guest services and booked what I wanted. 

Trying to figure out if it is just post covid changed standards or just the Getaway desk not up to standards.

Sounds like you are onboard right now? If so, have you asked the GM? That would be the person in the best position to answer your question. You could, of course, also take the reservation(s) that guest services made for you, show them to the concierge, and asked why you were told nothing was available, but I think the GM would be the better avenue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Imalismom said:

Has anyone had any problems with the concierge service not up to standards recently?

I have tried three different times to make reservations with our concierge to be told nothing was available - to go downstairs to guest services and booked what I wanted. 

Trying to figure out if it is just post covid changed standards or just the Getaway desk not up to standards.

Well this is disturbing!  I have in the past had a concierge tell me "if you can't get a reservation, I can't get a reservation".  When he said that I almost fell down.  this was on a smaller ship, and he did it during his introduction.  but never had the problem you are describing 

We had amazing Concierge service on both the Sky and Breakaway a few weeks ago. Zero complaints. I always tip on the first day and if they do a great job I give another tip at the end. I have always had wonderful service. 

• Thanks 1

I was on the Getaway in June when it was in Europe. The service I got from everyone was just exceptional.

short story from that cruise: Me and a group of people was at the Sugercane, and one in our group wanted a irish coffee. he went to the bar and was told no, they dont serve it there.

And that is true, as they dont have coffee there.

So I went to the bar and asked the bartender if he could arrange an irish coffee for my friend. A few minutes later a waiter came to the table with an irish coffee.

So what is the point of that story? Not everyone is treated the same.

Edited by z4oslo

My experience in the Haven has been a bit mixed regarding service from the concierge. I usually find their time is taken up with the more demanding passengers, which is fine as we are low maintenance. Last cruise on the Epic two weeks ago there were a few groups of very demanding passengers who took up the time of concierge, the restaurant manager’s and any other employees  they could complain to from the minute they boarded. It made for quite uncomfortable dining in the Haven restaurant with multiple servers, maitre D’s, the concierge and butlers constantly trying to please them. Everyone is different and perhaps expects different levels of service, I think perhaps the concierge prioritises the most demanding people first to avoid a major drama. 

2 hours ago, Imalismom said:

Maybe he was just being honest with you and letting you know your option(s)!

1 minute ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Maybe he was just being honest with you and letting you know your option(s)!

Kinda defeats the purpose of the concierge though doesn't it? The whole point is they get reservations when none exist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of the concierge though doesn't it? The whole point is they get reservations when none exist. 

No one can get reservations when NONE exist.  They can get reservations from the supply set aside for their passengers.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

No one can get reservations when NONE exist.  They can get reservations from the supply set aside for their passengers.

That's quite incorrect and leads me to believe you don't know who the concierges are or what they do. The concierges do routinely create space for their guests. 

Edited by dandelpino
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I disagree...see below

11 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

That's quite incorrect and leads me to believe you have no idea who the concierges are or what they do. The concierges do routinely create space for their guests. 

Correct...and it isn't just the concierge. I was on the Getaway a while back and someone I knew onboard was upset because there were no reservations available for Le Bistro for the rest of the cruise. (This was for the last 2 days of the cruise...the reason that there were no spots was because it was Valentine's Day). I later ran into the AHD and told him the situation, he made 2 phone calls, and viola...I had a reservation for Le Bistro...so yes, space can "appear" when none is available.

• Like 3

I have sailed in the Haven Several times, and I have never been refused a reservation, with that being said, take into account if you are sailing on any ship that holds a lot of kids, reservations can be harder to get. I don’t understand why some people don’t utilize the these services pre cruise to make your reservations. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

That's quite incorrect and leads me to believe you don't know who the concierges are or what they do. The concierges do routinely create space for their guests. 

NONE means NONE.  You can't get what does not exist no matter who you are.  They are concierges not magicians.  It is always a possibility that reservations are 100% unavailable.

18 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I disagree...see below

Correct...and it isn't just the concierge. I was on the Getaway a while back and someone I knew onboard was upset because there were no reservations available for Le Bistro for the rest of the cruise. (This was for the last 2 days of the cruise...the reason that there were no spots was because it was Valentine's Day). I later ran into the AHD and told him the situation, he made 2 phone calls, and viola...I had a reservation for Le Bistro...so yes, space can "appear" when none is available.

Not when NONE are available.  There is a difference between none available to the general cruise passenger and none available at all.  At some point there will be absolutely NONE and at that point even God can't get you in.

Amit was a fantastic concierge for us. Prior to that I kept hearing No, I can't help you. Amit joining the cruise on the third day was a blessing for our reservations. They had been a complete mess from the pre cruise concierge service.

• Like 1

Contrary to the urban legend the concierge cannot make miracles happen. "Most" times they can score you a reservation no problem.  But there are always exceptions.  Once on Epic a singles group cruise booked the entire Cagneys during peak hours and the concierge could not over ride this sell out.  On Encore, Onda was so popular and sold out the entire week.  It took several days of asking for the concierge to finally get a reservation.  I even asked the concierge if Onda could be delivered to the Haven and the concierge hit the pause button and made a big deal about it so I nixed that idea especially when a reservation finally came around.  They do the best they can and well over 90% of the time they can work magic but there are some hurdles that impact their job.  Several years ago when NCL gave the meal package to just about everyone made their jobs even more difficult because there are more fish in the pond.

Having said all that, we have all experienced excellent to poor concierges.  Most are so fantastic but we have gotten that one that really could care less about working extra hard. Unfortunately not everyone is like Adrian.

Edited by david_sobe

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Not when NONE are available.  There is a difference between none available to the general cruise passenger and none available at all.  At some point there will be absolutely NONE and at that point even God can't get you in.

When the restaurant said NONE were available...that the restaurant was full and could accept no reservations...are you suggesting that we should ignore that because NONE doesn't mean NONE? Are you suggesting that we argue because there might be a reservation when they say there isn't? How do you suggest we tell the difference between NONE and absolutely NONE? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dandelpino said:

@mocruisefan is absolutely correct.

folks here in this thread are getting their knickers in a twist over  the word "none," not recognizing that there are a number of reservations held back exclusively for use by concierges (or management employees above the concierges).

when a guest goes to a restaurant and tries to make a booking, and they say nothing is available, that doesn't mean that there aren't still a few reservations held back for use by concierges. as you get closer to the event or the meal time, those reservations are opened up for booking by the general population. if an event or restaurant is fully booked and no reservations are available, the concierge can't get one, either.

but the concierge can indeed pull strings and make daily calls and remind staff that if something opens up (cancellations), he has a guest that would like to have that reservation. and, typically, the concierge will be able to snag that reservation at that sold out event or restaurant. not always, but typically.

it's just like a broadway show... there are usually "house seats" held back from sale at every performance. these are prime seats in the center of the orchestra about six or seven rows from the stage. when they get a call that the president is in town and would like to see the show (or such and such a celebrity would like to see the show), whomp! there it is... prime tickets to a sold out show suddenly become available. and if there is no need for them, they put them up for sale a few hours before the show to those waiting in the "cancellation" line. but once those tickets are gone, they can't magically make additional tickets appear, even if somebody special shows up.

it's undeniably true:

concierges can not get guaranteed reservations when there are none available. they may be able to get reservations that you can't get yourself... but it generally comes from a pool of reservations held back specifically for that purpose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raitch said:

Well apparently “none” means “none” but “nothing is available” means “go down to guest services and they’ll book it for you”.

Yeah, I assumed I had misread the OP, but just went back and checked. The concierge said nothing was available but guest services (I assume the restaurant reservation desk) managed to book them in.

Which makes most of the subsequent discussion irrelevant.

• Thanks 2