Transatlantic

gozzy

We are thinking of doing a Transatlantic next April. We need some help to choose between the Constellation or the Reflection. Both are similar itineraries ending in Barcelona where we want to spend some time after the cruise. Is there pros and cons between either ship that would help us make our decision . Is there a advantage to be on either the starboard or port side when doing a west to east crossing ? We would appreciate any input. Tks Gary

Both are lovely ships in their own way. Transatlantic crossing weather can be quite variable. I went on a TA in May where I was freezing the whole time and only able to use the balcony wrapped in deck blankets and have been on others a month earlier that were quite comfortable on deck. The reason I say this is that Constellation has a thalassotherapy heated pool. Reflection has a solarium covered pool but it is not warm like the T-pool.Constellation is older, fewer specialty restaurants, and on average smaller cabins than Reflection. It does have some of the biggest balconies afloat in aft concierge or family verandahs though and although sailing on Apex a few months back has given her competition for my favorite ship status Connie is still the one I like best and I believe I have sailed 3 TAs on that ship.So it really depends on what you are looking for. I am not able to advise on which side would be better cabin choice as I've not done a TA into Barcelona. Of course 3/4 or more of the time your view will literally be only "water, water everywhere".LOL Bon voyage!

• Like 1

I would choose the Reflection it has more specialty restaurants, more venues to relax and listen to music.  We love the lawn to play bocce or do a little putting.  We have been  on both ships but for a TA I would pick the large ship with more options. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gozzy said:

We are thinking of doing a Transatlantic next April. We need some help to choose between the Constellation or the Reflection. Both are similar itineraries ending in Barcelona where we want to spend some time after the cruise. Is there pros and cons between either ship that would help us make our decision . Is there a advantage to be on either the starboard or port side when doing a west to east crossing ? We would appreciate any input. Tks Gary

I’d vote for reflection for only the slightly larger ship and more specialty dining options given the longer itinerary and more sea days. 

We got bounced off two westbound TAs on Constellation due to COVID cancellations in recent years, and as we really wanted the extra time in Barcelona, our backup this year is Reflection (Constellation is coming back via Rome).  We'd be happy either way.  Constellation has a better itinerary for the return this year, FWIW.

I choose starboard for a west to east Transatlantic, and port side for east to west. I prefer to have a south-ish facing balcony for the chance of more sun and less time in the shade. It seems to work for me, but of course the ship is not following a straight course all the time, but predominately does.

• Thanks 1

Since Transatlantics occur after the Spring or Fall equinox, for a Southern crossing (from/to Med), if you want sun, I recommend port side (sun will be on North side in April, South side in the Fall).  The Reflection is 40% larger overall than the Constellation and has 40% more pax.  I definitely prefer the choice of specialty restaurants on Reflection, especially Murano and Lawn Club Grill.  And Tuscan Grill location on Reflection is way better.  If all things are exactly the same, I'd opt for Reflection.  But then again, I have two TAs booked on Constellation, so go figure.  Reflection hasn't been updated since its launch in 2012.  The Connie was last updated in 2017 and neither one of them has been "revolutionized."  Yet.  

3 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Since Transatlantics occur after the Spring or Fall equinox, for a Southern crossing (from/to Med), if you want sun, I recommend port side (sun will be on North side in April, South side in the Fall

Sorry, when crossing the Atlantic from/to the Mediterranean from/to North America  the sun is always going to be south of the ship.

• Like 3

My response is similar to Ruth's.  All things being equal, I feel Reflection is a better ship than Constellation for itineraries where there are a bunch of sea days--bigger ship means more venues, restaurants, etc.  However we booked Constellation for our first TA in October because we liked the itinerary length and ports better.

Yup, you have two great choices. The comments about the Reflection are right on, but one big plus for the Connie, is the Spa Pool. An inside warm water pool. that has a lot of water action and pipes at the corners to stand under and get a good blast on your shoulders and upper back. And the best is on the sides are submerged pipes that from a lounge to lay on and bubbles come up. Fantastic. My favorite pool afloat. we get SRs just below it so we can zip up in the morning and enjoy. 

Den

• Like 2

The only TA we have done was on the Relection in a Celebrity Suite. The one thing I remember is Michael's Club (now The Retreat) and Luminae tended to be very crowded at times since the Relection has more suites than others in the same class. The Constellation is in a smaller class and we really liked it. 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:46 PM, raspberry ridge said:

Both are lovely ships in their own way. Transatlantic crossing weather can be quite variable. I went on a TA in May where I was freezing the whole time and only able to use the balcony wrapped in deck blankets and have been on others a month earlier that were quite comfortable on deck. The reason I say this is that Constellation has a thalassotherapy heated pool. Reflection has a solarium covered pool but it is not warm like the T-pool.Constellation is older, fewer specialty restaurants, and on average smaller cabins than Reflection. It does have some of the biggest balconies afloat in aft concierge or family verandahs though and although sailing on Apex a few months back has given her competition for my favorite ship status Connie is still the one I like best and I believe I have sailed 3 TAs on that ship.So it really depends on what you are looking for. I am not able to advise on which side would be better cabin choice as I've not done a TA into Barcelona. Of course 3/4 or more of the time your view will literally be only "water, water everywhere".LOL Bon voyage!

What a wonderfully helpful description!  We have been on both ships and very much enjoyed both.  We would have a hard time deciding which to sail for a TA.  Guess we will have to do both at some point!

• Like 2

On a TA I would pick the Reflection.  Even though neither has been "revolutionized" Reflection is about 10 years newer, has more specialty dining venues, the Lawn Club, and many other things that Connie doesn't have.  We like the "M" class ships but on a TA the ship with more of pretty much everything would win out.

We've done a TA on Reflection and unlike others never found Luminae overcrowded.  Michael's would get busy right around 6PM but was quiet other than that.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions . We booked the Constellation. Two days after booking I realized 

that the time frame was conflicting with a family vacation that we had booked quite a while back.

I cancelled our trip and will be looking for a TA as soon as the 2024 schedule comes out.

6 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

The 2024 Eastbound Transatlantics?  I don't see them. 

I took the "...2024 schedule..." question literally, and note "Early '24 is already up" with the schedule filling in month by month, so would expect the early EB TAs to start showing up before long.

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

I took the "...2024 schedule..." question literally, and note "Early '24 is already up" with the schedule filling in month by month, so would expect the early EB TAs to start showing up before long.

I suppose when they publish the TA's, that would be along with the European sailings that follow.  Last year the TA's were up sometime around mid to late October.

• Like 1

Those schedules used to come out in November, but have been moved up the last few years.  I just inquired about the release date, but the supervisor I spoke with did not have any idea about release date.  Stay tuned to Cruise Critic for upcoming information.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, Lastdance said:

Those schedules used to come out in November, but have been moved up the last few years.  I just inquired about the release date, but the supervisor I spoke with did not have any idea about release date.  Stay tuned to Cruise Critic for upcoming information.

hope they come out sooner!  We're booked on the Apex for April 2023 and won't be able to go due to a family event.  Payment isn't due until January 2023.  I'm looking to either move the same one to 2024 or pick another if I have to.