Margarine available?

kcl491

My husband and I will be on the Sky Princess in December.  He is lactose intolerant and is concerned that he won't be able to get margarine instead of butter in the dining room and buffet.  Is margarine easily available?  Thanks for any help.

2 minutes ago, kcl491 said:

My husband and I will be on the Sky Princess in December.  He is lactose intolerant and is concerned that he won't be able to get margarine instead of butter in the dining room and buffet.  Is margarine easily available?  Thanks for any help.

I would have someone currently on the Sky ask in the DR for you.  My DH used to ask for it, some ships did have it. Things are so different now due to supply issues.

But, I’m sure someone could ask.

Here’s a link to Sky roll call fir Aug 20th sailing.

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I would have someone currently on the Sky ask in the DR for you.  My DH used to ask for it, some ships did have it. Things are so different now due to supply issues.

But, I’m sure someone could ask.

Here’s a link to Sky roll call fir Aug 20th sailing.

I saw margarine on the Crown in the buffet.  

3 hours ago, sjcivilady said:

Are you sure he can’t have real butter?  One of my friends is lactose intolerant but she said butter is ok because it’s just fat. 

My DH is quite ill when he has butter or cream.  He can handle small amounts of hard cheeses, but butter and cream really set off his lactose intolerance.  It is a shame since he love croissants,  but they are made with butter.

I know that there used to be extensive and iconic 'butter' threads here about how the little Princess pats of butter/margaraine are not all dairy butter.   It could be different now, but I believe it was always a blend.

We haven't cruised in quite some time, pre-pandemic...  so it has been a while.

If anybody is not super sensitive, or all vegan, then it could possibly be okay????

I remember looking for wrapped pats of true dairy butter if they could be found on the Buffet!!!!

I want my REAL butter!!!

There is a place in the app (and likely in the online version) for food allergies. I can't imagine that your husband is the first lactose intolerant person to cruise princess. The cruise line isn't really interested in making passengers sick.

A quick look at the app just now shows me under dining preferences:

Egg, Fish, Milk, Peanut, Shellfish, Soybean, Tree Nut, and Wheat. You can select any of those to let them know you have an allergy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I know that there used to be extensive and iconic 'butter' threads here about how the little Princess pats of butter/margaraine are not all dairy butter.   It could be different now, but I believe it was always a blend.

We haven't cruised in quite some time, pre-pandemic...  so it has been a while.

If anybody is not super sensitive, or all vegan, then it could possibly be okay????

I remember looking for wrapped pats of true dairy butter if they could be found on the Buffet!!!!

I want my REAL butter!!!

discovered Kerrygold butter from those threads - used it ever since

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

The "real" butter (the stuff that's not wrapped) tastes terrible. I eat my dinner rolls without it.

I don't know if one could ever find the foil wrapped pats of really good dairy butter onboard at the buffet or not any more!!!!

You know all the jokes about the things that cruisers want to bring onboard...  (canned corn!!!  crock pot... Hahahaha!!!).   Maybe we should bring some good butter!

20 hours ago, kcl491 said:

Yes, readily available. Just ask your server. There's numerous posts about whether the butter is really butter. I think scientists at NASA will let us know shortly.

15 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

My DH is quite ill when he has butter or cream.  He can handle small amounts of hard cheeses, but butter and cream really set off his lactose intolerance.  It is a shame since he love croissants,  but they are made with butter.

Hard cheeses are fermented. The fermentation process consumes the lactose.

Has he actually been tested for lactose intolerance or is he just guessing.

It could be that he is allergic to the protein casein or one of the other proteins found in milk.

Has he tried Ghee?  That is clarified butter that has no protein left in it.

You can always ask for olive oil to dip bread in. That is healthier than margarine.

Edited by brisalta

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

You can always ask for olive oil to dip bread in. That is healthier than margarine.

This illustrates something that it seems the vast majority of cruisers aren't aware of. If you ask, Princess will often provide menu changes and extras. The trick is to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for the information.  I had forgotten about the cruise personalizer that you can submit before cruising.  He will be able to indicate "no milk products" and that will help in the dining room.  In the buffet and specialty areas, he will just ask for margarine (if available)

• Like 1

Every time I am scrolling through the Princess Forum, this topic briefly catches my eye. I see M-a-r-g-a-r- my mind completes the word to Margar-ita and I want to scream, "yes! great margaritas" and then I realize the word is margar-ine, which is not nearly as exciting as margar-ita.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Every time I am scrolling through the Princess Forum, this topic briefly catches my eye. I see M-a-r-g-a-r- my mind completes the word to Margar-ita and I want to scream, "yes! great margaritas" and then I realize the word is margar-ine, which is not nearly as exciting as margar-ita.

24K Gold Margarita. On the rocks in a Rocks glass. No salt. I would love to have one NOW and it's not even Noon. They are just sooooooooooooo good. (Neither my wife nor I care for the huge mounds of ice that are the blended Margaritas.)

• Like 1